Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The greatest tour of all time in the works?!

• 03-09-2009 4:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭

Surely with a Thread Title like that you were bound to end up disappointed but never fear :D

Lars Ulrich is apparently trying to set up the greatest metal tour off all time :pac:

Metallica,Slayer,Megadeth and Anthrax to tour together :D

This is a rumour which I will pretend is real for some time :D
    Kerry King tells us that he has heard Lars Ulrich is plotting the metal tour to end all metal tours!

Could the tour of a lifetime be about to happen? Kerry King seems to think so!

In what could be one of the most exciting pieces of news of the year, Kerry King yesterday revealed to Metal Hammer that he has heard through the grapevine that Lars Ulrich is plotting a tour that would include Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax.

Should this tour materialise, this would be the first time that the big four have toured together as part of the same bill. Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax were joined by opening act Alice In Chains for the US Clash Of The Titans tour in 1991, while Metallica and Megadeth last shared a UK stage at Milton Keynes Bowl in 1993.

We asked Kerry if there had been a temptation to bring the co-headline tour that Slayer are about to embark on with Megadeth in Australia and Canada to our shores.

“I think it would be cool but I knew we had this planned before all of this Megadeth stuff started happening,” said King. “They’re going to Australia with us, they’re going to Canada again with us. I think it would be cool for the European fans to bring that over here because ****, we didn’t even consider playing with those guys since 1990.”

So could it be possible that we could get a tour that includes the big four?

“I’ve heard people referencing Lars,” says King. “I don’t know Lars that well and I haven’t heard it from Lars but apparently he’s talking to somebody about it. Maybe us, Metallica, Megadeth (and), I think he even threw in Anthrax and I said in this day and age, I know we had that time together but how do you leave out Machine Head? There’s better options than Anthrax and that’s nothing against Anthrax, but they’ve just been in pieces for quite some time and that doesn’t make as much sense to me.”
    and on another note Slayers album has been pushed back to November 3rd :mad:
    Slayer will release their new album, ‘World Painted Blood’, on November 3rd. Metal Hammer hosted a special playback for over 200 fans at London’s Centro yesterday evening. Stay tuned to Metal Hammer for reports and pics from the event!
    Kerry King already trying to start fights with Anthrax :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭triv88

Lars Ulrich is apparently trying to set up the greatest metal tour off all time :pac:

Metallica,Slayer,Megadeth and Anthrax to tour together :D

Would of been great if the year was 1991

Would be so awesome:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

I'm sure King was referring to Anthrax not having a lead singer (unless the talks have with Bush have succeeded ???) so he was right.....
    To be honest I'd love to see that line up in the O2 :D

and it would be hard to see Megadeth being topped on current form, would love to see Anthrax again with Bush at the mic......but seriously I don't see any mileage in this rumour unfortunately.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭The Frayed Ends

NIBBS wrote: »
    I'm sure King was referring to Anthrax not having a lead singer (unless the talks have with Bush have succeeded ???) so he was right.....
    To be honest I'd love to see that line up in the O2 :D

and it would be hard to see Megadeth being topped on current form, would love to see Anthrax again with Bush at the mic......but seriously I don't see any mileage in this rumour unfortunately.....

Id say it's a good bet Bush will return to Anthrax. I'll be surprised if he doesn't.

I can't see it happening either. Although Kerry King seems up for it I just can't imagine Mustaine doing it.
    He went on another rant recently about the hall of fame and how Lars can't stop him getting into it haha

Despite the tours together nothing seems to have changed between Slayer and Dave Mustaine haha

taken from Metal Hammer :pac:
    Tom Araya has some choice words about the Megadeth frontman.

In an interview with The Quietus, Tom Araya had the following to say about Mustaine:

“You know, I ran into him on two occasions, but when you see someone, and if you’re a human being, you respect them and treat them as human beings — they’re another living person. Other than that, the only thing we shared was that we did those four shows together. You know what I mean?! Nothing’s really changed for me about him; I’m just waiting for him to open his mouth. (Laughs)”

The Quietus: What is the burning issue between Megadeth and Slayer?

Araya: “There isn’t really a burning issue. The thing is he talks a lot of **** — then he apologizes for it, then he continues. Did you see ‘Some Kind of Monster’? That should give you some kind of idea how he is!”
    Good luck to Lars trying to get this together :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭PunkFreud

triv88 wrote: »
    Would of been great if the year was 1991

Totally agree, they are all past their best. Still a good line-up if it does happen, just wouldn't be as enormous as it would have been 15 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

PunkFreud wrote: »
    Totally agree, they are all past their best. Still a good line-up if it does happen, just wouldn't be as enormous as it would have been 15 years ago.
    Nah. That may be true for anthrax and metallica, but slayer and megadeth have released records recently that would be worthy of inclusion on any of their earlier works. I'd say they should have a slayer and megadeth tour - (with them both co headlining) and a strong undercard, eg Lamb of God, machine head, and some good new bands like black tide and five finger death punch. Now THAT I would gladly pay to see!

It's now been confirmed as true by Robert Trujillo that Metallica are trying to organize a 'Big Four' tour
    Metromix: There’s a rumor going around now about the four classic thrash bands (Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth and Anthrax) touring together. How would you feel about being part of that?

Trujillo: “I think it’s great. We’ve had a few different conversations on the subject. I’m friends with Kerry King and had dinner with him a few months back, and it came up there. I think Dave Mustaine is amazing. I’ve never had a problem with him personally. I think it’d be great if Metallica shared the stage with his band. Metallica’s still great friends with Scott Ian. There’s a lot of history there. I think it’d be great for metal. I don’t think all four bands have played together at the same time.”

Metromix: So there’s truth to the rumor?

Trujillo: “There is, but nothing’s concrete. It’s not a sealed deal. We’re working on it.”

Metromix: How would egos come into play in terms of the order of bands on the bill?

Trujillo: “Oh, there’d be a lot of egos. I think we’d be OK. It’d be an issue with the other three bands.”

Metromix: How so? Would Dave Mustaine have an issue opening for Metallica?

Trujillo: “I don’t think that would be an issue. I think it would be more an issue between Megadeth and Slayer.”

Metromix: What’s the story there?

Trujillo: “I don’t know if it would depend on the city, but I’m sure between those two bands, they would want to be up on the bill. I don’t know. Who knows? My prediction is that maybe there would be something there. The only way we would do it is if we’re headlining, and we would probably be the ones to put it together. I’m not saying that in a disrespectful way. All of these bands are amazing and super-cool.”
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Would it be another Marley Park job? It'd be a disaster in the making. An overpriced disaster at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

That would be an awesome tour!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Could be one of the greatest train wreck tours in history imo.

lord lucan wrote: »
    Could be one of the greatest train wreck tours in history imo.

Probably right Lucan, but damn that could be a fun train wreck to watch ;-)

I'd think a tour like that would be indoors and would only happen at the O2 - if it were to hit Ireland at all.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

lets hope a) it comes to Ireland b) at least megadeth and slayer do the tour and c) Dave plays rings around metallica (as usual:D)

Itll probably be in Marlay Pk if it does come to Ireland, maximise profits are clearly the motives when metallica are involved!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

Didn't Kerry King say that Metallica were a sinking ship?

Still if there's a pay check in it.

Who said sell out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Too many egos for this too work. For a start who the hell would headline it? They'd kill eachother over time slots for the tour.

Stev_o wrote: »
    Too many egos for this too work. For a start who the hell would headline it? They'd kill eachother over time slots for the tour.

To be honest I don't think there'd be any issue of the headliners - it would be Metallica, they are just by far the biggest of the bands, the problem would be below them - and I think they'd just do a rotation thing, they are all big enough and old enough to work it out and there's gotta be some money in it for all of them, so I don't see it not being workable - in theory :p

Tbh i reckon it would have to be an outdoor tour just to cater for the numbers that would want to see it. And the extra revenue!:pac:

Realistically Metallica would headline,Slayer and Megadeth could rotate the next slot between them but that's were i'd see the problems arising. I just couldn't see mustaine keeping it together for a full tour,he'll have to mouth off at some stage. Don't get me wrong,i love mustaine the musician but the guy just can't help himself when it comes to trashing other bands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

are you mad?

mustaine will be delighted. He loves being in a position to bitch and moan.

are you mad?

mustaine will be delighted. He loves being in a position to bitch and moan.

"Wherever we may moan tour"!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Slayer should headline it as they have the best stage presence when it comes to a metal gig, megadeth on before them and metallica opening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Slayer should headline it as they have the best stage presence when it comes to a metal gig, megadeth on before them and metallica opening.

In terms of following, record sales, and crowd pleasing, Metallica would have to headline. This is being realistic, coming from a man who is wearing Slayer shoes as he types !

Megadeth would be the headline Support act, with Slayer coming in third.

In fairness, this will never get off the ground, and if it did, it would be confinced to a few American venues, and wouldnt be a world tour. Metallica still appear to regret the Metallica/GNR/Faith No More tour in 1992.

Het-Field wrote: »
    Metallica still appear to regret the Metallica/GNR/Faith No More tour in 1992.

That was mainly down to Metallicas disdain of the way Axl would turn up at whatever hour he wanted,leaving fans standing around for 2 or 3 hours after Metallica had finished. That and Axls extravagant after-show parties,it was the polar opposite of Metallicas work ethic when it comes to touring.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭H1tmonlii

I thought Dave hates James? Just putting it out there.

H1tmonlii wrote: »
    I thought Dave hates James? Just putting it out there.

Dave hates lots of people. His main problem with Metallica is that he was sacked(unfairly iho) and his contribution to KEA/RTL has been overlooked and that the band went on to a different level of success whilst he was left behind. Now most bands would donate a testicle each to have the success he's had with Megadeth but he just can't seem to let it go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Het-Field wrote: »
    coming from a man who is wearing Slayer shoes as he types !

Is this a joke?

It has to be surely...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

ow hell... Why not throw G'N'R into that powder keg?

- Drav!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

are you sure you didnt get that info from the next Guitar hero BullSh1t or something:D, all aload of ego/money drivin cr4p!!! What next Linkin Park supporting Metallica, Kerry King playing with sum 41, Anthrax doing a balad, or Megadeth eh ....being Megadeth.................I dont know anymore...age is the killer!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

GrizzlyMan wrote: »
    What next Linkin Park supporting Metallica

F*ck, not again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Nah. That may be true for anthrax and metallica, but slayer and megadeth have released records recently that would be worthy of inclusion on any of their earlier works. I'd say they should have a slayer and megadeth tour - (with them both co headlining) and a strong undercard, eg Lamb of God, machine head, and some good new bands like black tide and five finger death punch. Now THAT I would gladly pay to see!
    That was just the line up I was thinking of. but I don't think Mustaine would tour with Slayer, or the other way round. So Metallica could easily take their place. Even as bad as they've been since Load. Metallica/Slayer, with Machine Head and Lamb of God. (with Chimaira as openers)Now that would would be the greatest tour ever. *sigh* One can only dream.
    JBnaglfar wrote: »
    F*ck, not again
    HAHA, I'm sure there's lots of people that need to practice their aim.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mollycash

i wouldnt care who headlines just as long as its not in goddamn punchestown.

worst venue ever. and i live beside it.

Advertisement