If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Full HD for around €1k...

Options
  • 03-09-2009 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭

Now I've been on different forums, read reviews and even got advice of one or two (supposedly in the know...). I've been told Phillips are crap, Sharp is OK, LG is the best value but Sony is the way to go if you can afford it.

Therefore, I'd like you guys to honestly recommend what would be the best I could do for around 1K. Picture and sound quality are obviously my main criteria but I'd also like to think I could get at least a 42" for the price too.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

You'll get some nice friendly feedback on the 'Phillips are crap comment' :) I didn't rate them either but they now winning award all over the place for their products.

Take a look at the post at the top here of this forum with prices. I'd go for this :

8404 series - Full HD 1080P, 100Hz, 3 Ms Screen refresh, Ambilight, NET TV - (any website any time!) DLNA Network link, Pixel Precise HD picture engine, 80,000:1 Contrast ratio, HD Natural motion for smooth HD motion processing, PC input

42PFL8404H - €999 - With free 4 year warranty - and I just noticed you get 10% boards discount also :)

Reckon John and Ash will be in touch with their straight and honest approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭White dargo

Roaster wrote: »
    Now I've been on different forums, read reviews and even got advice of one or two (supposedly in the know...). I've been told Phillips are crap, Sharp is OK, LG is the best value but Sony is the way to go if you can afford it.

Therefore, I'd like you guys to honestly recommend what would be the best I could do for around 1K. Picture and sound quality are obviously my main criteria but I'd also like to think I could get at least a 42" for the price too.

TIA

Did a lot of research like yourself and always assumed Sony would be the way I would go. But the web is riddled with stories about backlight problems especially on the W4500 and W5500. Ironically the W4500 is an award winner but some people, and I stress some, have had problems with backlight bleeding.

Have never bought Sharp. I'm biased because of their previous sponsorship of a certain football team :). Childish? yes you bet :cool:.

I have a 22" LG for a short while and have no complaints with it. Very very good picture although the sound could be a tad better. But it's fine.

I also have a Philips 42PFL7404 and am very happy with it. Bought it on here at a very competitive price having originally thought that certain well known high street stores offered good value :rolleyes:. A good few lads on here have bought the 8404 for the kind of money you're talking about and they are reporting back very satisfied with it especially the internet function.

Samsung's reputation has shot up in recent years. They share technology with Sony and seem to be producing some good stuff.

Hope this helps you a little.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Roaster/Dargo & Majj,

Thanks a million for the initial enquiry and the posts!

Yep you are correct, to my great relief the Philips range this year is pretty stunning and to be fair to White Dargo the Sammy & LG ranges are pertty good as well - however when you compare the Irish pricing of Philips with the current UK pricing - Philips is outstaniding value at the moment.

The best 42" that I can recommend from ANY manufacturer for around a grand is the Philips 42PFL8404H which has already been bought by many boardies - so you can post on boards for any advice or recommendations! - we are currently selling it at just €899.99 and we offer Boardies a 10% discount from The Philips Shop meaning that it comes out at just €899.99 - it's a complete stunner with a mindblowing spec and it sports stunning picture & sound quality and with the Ambilight & NET TV also on board it's just a cracking TV for the money - the cheapest I can see it onlin in the UK is £980 so at EURO €899.99 it's a mega deal - and to make it even better we can do this with a 4 year warranty until the end of November!

Thanks again guys for all the posts while I was away and please drop me a line if I can assist in any way,

ATB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

in about a month ill also be looing for a hdtv for around 1k...i saw 1 in pcworld in town for like 999E i think and its the sexiest thing i ever seen:pwhen in town tomorrow ill go in and find out the full name of it(its samsung btw)and post it up to see if yous have it in stock for cheaper:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Ashley

Hi Guys

Yep We are BIG BIG fans of the 42PFL8404.
    However, for a change I wont rave on about it (I've done enough of that over that last few months:D)

BUT....If you call into the shop I'll let the TV's do the talking - you'll have no doubts about it once you see it in action it is very good:)

So guys call on in and have a look at it....

Cheers
    Ash

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Nanor

Just wondering what price you do the 47 inch version of this TV and whether you rave about the 47PFL8404H as much as the 42 inch version, cheers!

Hi Nanor

I like the BIG TV's, 47" is a nice screen size!
    She's a good one alright.

It's just been reduced to €1499.99 instore (down from €1599.99) but as a Boardie you can take 10% off our price.

Tempted???
    Looks fantastic fed with Blu-Ray and would come to life with Sky HD feeding it.....

Give me a bell on 474 0788 if you want to have a chat or need to have a bit of arm twisting:)
    atb
    Ash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Nanor

Hi Ash,

Thanks for the reply. Basically I've 'negotiated' a fund of 1000 euro with my other half for a TV, so that really means 1200 euro max, and I want to go with a 46/47 inch screen. What are your recommendations? Cheers!

Hi Nanor

To be honest with you if you can s-t-r-e-t-c-h to €1350 for the 47pfl8404 you be VERY happy you did, esp as you'll be watching this TV for a good few years to come (as times are tough we are all spending more time at home rather that in pubs eh!)

The next model down range with a 47" screen size is the 47PFL5604 which we are selling instore for €1099.99 or €990 to Boardies.

See the spec sheet attached below.

www.p4c.philips.com/files/4/47pfl5604h_12/47pfl5604h_12_pss_eng.pdf

This TV, whilst good, really doesnt compare to the 8 series.
    Lower contrast ratio, no 100Hz refresh rate, slower response time (5ms comp'd to 3ms) no Net Tv or ambilight and few connections.
    The 8 series comes with a 4 Year warranty compared to tyhe 2 year warranty with the 5 series - little extra piece of mind there.

The 47PFL8404H is worth evert cent spent on it. IT IS MILES BETTER!

In fact if the 47 8 Series is just too much over budget I'd recomend you consider the 42" 8 series (Boardies price €900) over the 47" 5 series.
    We are all fans of the 8 Series TV's - Never has Philips had such a strong TV range as they do now and I've been selling them since 2001!

hope that helps a little with your choice

atb
    Ash

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

Ash/JohnMC.

Thanks for all the feedback (I'm sold).

I'll have a talk with the boss later. She's about 50/50 at the moment. I think if I can get her to go into the shop to see the TVs in action then I might just clinch the deal (might even upgrade to the 47" if it's a goer with her). I assume you have BR dvds to show off the quality of pic, etc.

It's the shop on the corner of Dame St & George's St. yes?

• Advertisement

Roaster

Your welcome

Yep Blue Ray running on our 8's and 9 series.
    if you have a favourite BR film why not bring it on in we'll be happy to demo the TV with it.

See you soon
    Ash

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mlocenryb

I was reading your treads on the Phillips 42PFL 8404H and you have me convinced to buy i was leaning towards Samsung/LG. I am also looking for the Tv stand Ptv7BBG can you give me a good deal on a combined price?

Regards,

mlocenryb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

Phillips ambilights... Bleuch.

I did enough staring at the wall in the 3 days between selling my old TV and my new one arriving thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭GirRobot

consultech wrote: »
    Phillips ambilights... Bleuch.

I did enough staring at the wall in the 3 days between selling my old TV and my new one arriving thanks.

I dont have one myself, but I have watched a few of the ambilight tvs. It really makes a difference and when I eventually get a new tv, im most likely going for an ambilight. I love the effect it gives the room and it stops the tv having such a harsh contrast with the blackness around the tv and the bright screen (when watching movies in the dark anyways) without causing any adverse problems to the picture.

Hi Mlocenryb

The latest Boardies price on the fantastic 42PFL8404H is €899.99 with 4 year warranty.
    I'll be collecting more of these from Philips on Monday as EVERY ONE I have in store is reserved - SO popular these sets!

I'm not familiar with the stand you have quoted - is it something you've seen in Richer Belfast?

Would you like me to add you to the reserve list for the TV?

GirRobot

Yep Ambilight is pretty cool, It's amazing how many people think they wont use it when they buy the TV and next time we speak with them they are singing its praises!
    Once you get into it switching it off just make things seem flat.
    It really adds a extra dimension to Concert BR/DVDs and sporting events thats for sure.

Cheers folks
    Ash

atb
    Ash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

AshMiller wrote: »
    Yep Ambilight is pretty cool, It's amazing how many people think they wont use it when they buy the TV and next time we speak with them they are singing its praises!
    Once you get into it switching it off just make things seem flat.
    It really adds a extra dimension to Concert BR/DVDs and sporting events thats for sure.

Personally (having briefly had an Ambilight for a month) and then subsequently upgrading to a Bravia 46x4500; I just think it's a gimmick that ultimately distracts from the overall experience.

The ambilight's charm lies in ambient, slow-moving, and constant tones in movies. Any fast-paced action and colour changes are wildly distracting, and (for me at least) distracts the eye and takes away from the sharpness of the screen you're attempting to watch.

We've been watching movies on a big screen in the dark since the 19th century. The movie theatre as we know it is the pinnacle of cinematic entertainment; and I've never seen an Ambilight in one.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.