Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airtricity comes a-knocking

Options
  • 03-09-2009 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭

There was a knock on the door just now, a guy in a green jacket says "Hi, can I read your meter?" I notice then it says Airtricity on his jacket and ask why. He says he wants to read the meter and do I have old ESB bill?

He says he need a number off of it and also to read the meter and I'll get a reduced electricity bill.

I cop on and ask "by giving you the number and letting you read the meter do I switch from ESB to Airtricity?" He says yes. I says thanks and "I'll contact you".

From the outset it seemed he was here to read the meter, he did not start by asking would I want to change provider.

In effect, if I hadn't copped on to that it was a sales pitch he would have got my ESB number, read the meter and suddenly I would have switched energy provider. All without saying "Do you want to switch?"

Actually I have considered a long time to switch over, even got them to send me brochures and stuff. Now I'm not so sure.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Gosh thats very sneaky....ooooh i do not like that tactic atall now...id send them a strongly worded email about that. Tell them your having second thoughts after your little encounter.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Are you sure ye didn't get your wires crossed, maybe he got the wrong address on someone that had signed up for the change? It just sounds way to sneaky to be even remotely legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Nah, his mate was ringing the door next to me.
    It very much seemed a door to door operation.
    Just in case they come knocking on your doors too.

I am very much for their idea and might subscribe at a later date but I won't be tricked into anything. Had he just said "Hi, I'm from Airtricity, have you considered switching?" I would probably signed up then and there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I just answered the door to one of them aswell. They can't do anything without your bank details because they operate solely by direct debit. Told him I'd have to talk to my housemates about it before anything is decided.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Cathal01

You'd have to sign a contract also right? He couldn't just switch you to Airtricty from ESB just by you letting him read the meter....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

One of their minions actually said the same thing to me.

I was out the back and he comes up to the gate. He goes, "Can i check the meter?". My dog starts going nuts so I didn't really respond and he ends up saying something else.

My sister was outside as well but didn't hear the initial encounter. So she asks, "Are you from airtricity? We've already switched over".

He didn't know this and just said thats fine and walks away. What about the meter? I guess thats how they pitch it sometimes, sounds a bit underhanded.

Cathal01 wrote: »
    You'd have to sign a contract also right? He couldn't just switch you to Airtricty from ESB just by you letting him read the meter....
    Yeah, he had a pad in his hand with names on it, like one of those protest lists.
    I guess it would have become clear once he wanted names and bank details after getting my ESB number and meter reading..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Anima wrote: »
    One of their minions actually said the same thing to me.

I was out the back and he comes up to the gate. He goes, "Can i check the meter?". My dog starts going nuts so I didn't really respond and he ends up saying something else.

My sister was outside as well but didn't hear the initial encounter. So she asks, "Are you from airtricity? We've already switched over".

He didn't know this and just said thats fine and walks away. What about the meter? I guess thats how they pitch it sometimes, sounds a bit underhanded.

It just sounds like the pitch they all put together that morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

I had one of them call aswell, a fella with a southern hemishpere accent. He was OK but very persistant. I don't like giving all my personal details to callers at the door. If he had my bank details and ESB account No. along with my name and address god knows what could happen if it turned out he was a con man. He had a jacket on with Airtricity but no visable signs of an ID, not saying he didn't have one as I didn't ask. I suppose if he was genuine then he would have to read the meter so that they could start from that point. I will be changing but not with someone calling at the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

I heard these guy's dont work for airtricity directly but a sales and marketing company, i'd ring airtricity to complain. I'm with them since switchover, no problems and going smoothly so far. But as others have said cant do much without bank details. Sneaky tactics that needs to be reported.

• Advertisement

If anyone wants to point them to this thread ;)

Sales team: sales@airtricity.com
    Customer Services team: customerservice@airtricity.com
    Career opportunities: careers@airtricity.com
    Switching your home to Airtricity: switchyourhome@airtricity.com
    Switching your business to Airtricity: sales@airtricity.com
    Marketing enquiries: marketing@airtricity.com
    General enquiries: info@airtricity.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭ceepeedee

My experience: The very pleasant gentleman in the green jacket called last Monday evening (his mate was next door) and asked firstly would I be interested in saving 13% on my electricity bill. I was up for it, and had already been considering it, so I said tell me more, and it was only then that he asked to read the meter. Then after a wee sales pitch he took the bank details and explained what happens next; I was fairly pleased with how easy the whole thing was, and again my attitude was probably coloured by the fact that I was probably going to switch anyway, but I suppose a minor quibble was that he seemed to assume I was going to proceed and barreled on with the process.
    One thing definitely worth noting - he showed me his id card, and it was just a small white card or paper in a plastic sleeve with his name and "Airtricity" printed on it and a passport pic glued on - I could knock up something more official-looking on my laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

gpjordanf1 wrote: »
    I heard these guy's dont work for airtricity directly but a sales and marketing company.quote]

But of course, very rare for a company to have a seperate market dept. in Ireland, so they go to a Marketing firm. Same with any company that calls to your door!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

ceepeedee wrote: »
    My experience: The very pleasant gentleman in the green jacket called last Monday evening ... Then after a wee sales pitch he took the bank details and explained what happens next;

Maybe it's just me, but I'd never give my bank details to a random stranger who knocked at my door, no matter how pretty their jacket is or how "official" their ID and paperwork looks.

If they won't let me post the contract in myself (to an address that I can check with an external source, eg goldenpages or company website), they don't get the business.

What say ye, paranoid or sensible?

So I won't send you my proposal to share 10.5 Million dollar from an African prince then?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Magnus wrote: »
    From the outset it seemed he was here to read the meter, he did not start by asking would I want to change provider.

In effect, if I hadn't copped on to that it was a sales pitch he would have got my ESB number, read the meter and suddenly I would have switched energy provider. All without saying "Do you want to switch?"

Actually I have considered a long time to switch over, even got them to send me brochures and stuff. Now I'm not so sure.

I'm guessing you provided them with your address when you expressed your interest? :)

Cheeky of him, but perhaps it was in good faith.

Afaik, Airtricity have already exceeeded their grid supply targets for 2009/2010.

I wouldn't be surprised if the ESB poked Airtricity to follow up and just get people to switch over. It could just be a physical manifestation of the need to Airtricity to be formally paid for the power they're providing to the grid.

Thankfully, unlike the telecoms fiasco that was the Eircom firesale, the network has been split from the 'service' provider (ie. power).
    It's the same juice being pumped into the grid, what does it matter who supplies it?

Are Airtricity cheaper?

JustMary wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me, but I'd never give my bank details to a random stranger who knocked at my door, no matter how pretty their jacket is or how "official" their ID and paperwork looks.

If they won't let me post the contract in myself (to an address that I can check with an external source, eg goldenpages or company website), they don't get the business.

What say ye, paranoid or sensible?

Eminently sensible, and definitely not paranoid. I guess it came down to making a call as to whether or not the guy was genuine and I decided
    he was. But don't panic, it was the wife's bank details I gave, just in case!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 4k

the one thing i like about airtricity is that they dont tie you in to any sort of contract and they are the cheapest provider... i havent switched yet but prolly will. don't think i'll give my details to the guy at the door though. i'll do it all myself, cut out the middle marketing man.

... although it occurs to me that, genuine or not, this guy's walking round Galway in the evening in a bright green jacket with lots of people's personal details written down on paper...

Holy switching, batpeople, Bord Gais have just called to the door... Have to say, the guy owned up to not working for Bord Gais, his job was only to tick a box saying yes/no/not home... I told him I'd just switched to Airtricity and he asked did I know how long their discount lasted. I ended up saying how I wouldn't touch Bord Gais with a barge pole after they lost those customers' details, and that was enough for him, although it did lead to an off-topic conversation about traffic in Galway... but that's for another thread!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭daniel91

They called to the door last week, and my mother answersed they explained everything to her about how much cheaper than ESB they are and how the are saving the enviorment etc etc...
    Then my mun who was actually intrested said she would think about it and dicuss it my dad when he gets home. The salesperson wasn't having none of that!
    "Whats there to think about? Your saving money!" he replied in an agressive tone.
    My mum just said she doesn't to sign up to anything at the door and wanted to discuss it with my dad. Then he starts asking what time my dad gets home saying he'll call back then etc.
    I eventully had to come to the door and politly tell him were to go! The funny thing is though she was actually very intrested before the salesman started acting like a knob!

No excuse for acting like a knob/aka pressure selling (yes there's a reason, but no there's no excuse), fair play to you for imposing your presence upon the scene.
    So, all of a sudden we have Airtrickety and Bord Gosh showing up on our doorsteps in the same week... can I expect ESB to say hi in two weeks' time?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

This has come up on boards before, in cork on that occasion
    Seems to be becoming standard practice for the Airtricity salesmen.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055557266

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Just had an Australian Airtricity guy around.Wasn't comfortable enough with the whole "giving randomer on doorstep bank details" so just took a leaflet.He was very eager for me to make a decision there and then though as apparently they're moving on to Sligo tomorrow.They seem to be doing kind of blitz attacks on areas to get as many new customers as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

We had airtricity in Ennis about a month back or so. The guy at the door was very nice and I switched over (but had been thinking about it). One thing I like about airtricity is that they average your bills over 6months - they estimate what your usage is from past bills and then say 'ok we think you are going to spend €200 on electricity over the next 6months, therefore your monthly bill will be €33.33. It is then reviewed at the end of the 6months - if the estimate was low, for the next 6months you pay more, if the estimate is high, you pay less. Makes it easy for budgeting purposes.

Also, while you do hand over your bank account details, they send you a letter asking you to confirm if the details are correct and if they aren't to call the number listed to change them. So if you wanted to change but were paranoid about giving out this info, I guess you could always 'change' a number or two in your bank account details and then correct it later!

Mel.b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Legislation needs to be changed to outlaw door to door selling.
    1. Theres simply no need for it - if people want something, they will go out and get it - hell, they don't even need to leave the house to get it.
    2. Even if it is a good deal (i'm already with airtricity simply because they are currently cheaper), the manner in which they go about getting business on the doorstep is unethical. Its very rare that anything positive comes out of pressure selling - in fact, a positive outcome is only accidental.
    3. Who wants to be bothered in their own home with sales guys - i know I dont. The insurance salespeople that called to my door a couple of months ago whilst I was in the middle of dinner - and after a crappy day at work - know I dont like to be bothered too! :D

The airtricity guy called to me last wednesday - didnt open the door as I had seen him coming - yet having noticed me through the windows out the back, he proceeded to walk round to the back of my property. grr..

In europe I have seen 'no cold calling/no flyers' type signs on doors. Wouldnt mind getting one of these myself - if anyone has a link to where to buy one (havent been able to find online), please post it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 4k

make a sign yourself.. just write something on some paper and stick it by your letter box on your door. works for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Eurorunner wrote: »
    Legislation needs to be changed to outlaw door to door selling.
    1. Theres simply no need for it - if people want something, they will go out and get it - hell, they don't even need to leave the house to get it.

Where do you draw the line though? What about people selling Girl Guide biscuits? (if you have 'em here? ... other charity fundraiser things if you don't.) What about missionaries who are "selling" religion?

Yes, I know such visitors are tedious. Just not sure that they're so tedious that they justify laws + work for the guards + convictions of silly people who try anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Bonzodog

I had a lady from Airtricity call round a couple of weeks back, up here in Doughiska.
    She was really nice, and introduced herself properly before putting the sales pitch in. Needless to say, I switched.

But, whilst she was here, I got her talking about Broadband, and she started telling me about her and her boyfriend having moved to a new place near Athlone, but they were stuck as to finding out what BB suppliers were available to them nearby.

Needless to say, I asked to hang on for 30 seconds, and logged into a website that searches for BB supplies in rural ireland, and lets you know who is available in your area. She was telling me all about herself and her boyfriend, struck up quite a rapport.

She went away very happy, after I gave her a list of people to talk to about Broadband for home....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 annoyed001

4k wrote: »
    the one thing i like about airtricity is that they dont tie you in to any sort of contract and they are the cheapest provider... i havent switched yet but prolly will. don't think i'll give my details to the guy at the door though. i'll do it all myself, cut out the middle marketing man.

they'r actually not the cheapest, if allow for the fact that BG's 12% discount includes vat AT's 13% does not plus BG is still 10% without DD. PLUS BG lasts for a full year and 2 more years of 5% minimum savings. A far more reliable straight forward offer.
    I have friends working for both. The one that works with AT signed for BG .
    Says it all.

Advertisement