Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible to get batches of XP licenses cheap?

Options
  • 03-09-2009 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if this is possible guys? My boss wants me to look into maybe building PC's from individually purchased components and selling them onto some of our clients. Obviously there is a nice bit to be saved here.

However as I was doing the maths today, one fully functional and decent spec PC can be pieced together for about €180. The problem then is adding the OS license, which looks like roughly €90 for XP Pro. This brings the total including shipping to about €275, whereas we have been purchasing built and licensed units from dabs for under €350.

So when you factor in the workload required to build the rig, there is no point going down this route.

Is there any way XP Pro licences can be obtained a bit cheaper, maybe if they were bought in larger batches or something?

Any info appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

(supposing you would be charging the same) 75 euro isn't the worst return from building a pc...
    Is it?

How long does it take to unpackage and build it? bouts 40 minutes me thinks. Am i being a bit optimistic with that figure? To stick it all together and stick it back in the box the case came in...

I suppose installing the os is bit of a bane though.

Funny I always seem to mention hardwareversand.de in every post, but they build the computer and install all the software you buy from them for 65 euro.
    Ze Germans zey don't get as well paid as us paddys... But you're making an extra 15 than they do.

There'd be no major harm charging a bit more than dabs anyway, considering their customer service horror stories. Unless you guys would suck too?

and can i just end on this note.....

I HATE EIRCOM!!!!!!!!!! WHAT A LOAD OF BS!!!! THEY CALL THIS "always on broadband" pity the only flippin site that will load up is boards!!!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Hate to drag this off-topic, but Effluo was your broadband borked as well tonight? Mine was down, checked the ISP intranet and not a bother, full 10MB/s up to Dundalk. Looked like something had nuked Adelphi's servers as the connection past there was at dial-up speeds. WTF?! Still missing ~40% capacity even now, but at least I have nearly 7MB/s to play with, a lot better than earlier... Strange if Eircom's servers were on the fritz at the same time...

And back on topic, the only way to get a batch of "cheap" copies would be through a Volume License. XP was the last MS OS to have such a thing (since Vista the only corporations to get an actual VL were the big OEMs like Dell, in the XP days many Irish national schools had a VL kit! :eek: ) and AFAIK MS have pulled back on all XP sales and have stopped handing out any further VLKs and have added a lot of the old VLKs to their banlist :o

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

How many computers are you talking here?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Effluo wrote: »
    How long does it take to unpackage and build it? bouts 40 minutes me thinks. Am i being a bit optimistic with that figure? To stick it all together and stick it back in the box the case came in...

I suppose installing the os is bit of a bane though.
    Little longer for myself, well initially anyway, as I've only put together one rig before, and that was my own almost 2 years ago.
    requiem1 wrote: »
    How many computers are you talking here?

Well several at least. If the first few went well, as in pieced together cheaply and configured quickly, then it would be something that we would drive on with.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Time to play Devil's Advocate....

These PCs... if they were cheap PCs... who said the OS would neccessarily be Windows ;)

Netbook and nettop OEMs ran into this problem already, and the consensus was to use a user-friendly Linux OS unless the end-user specifically wanted a MS OS.

And if you're going to be putting together a heap of these units isn't there anywhere to go to get cheap licenses? :confused: Trying to think of who would be best to give a quick call...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Our system finds optimal performance on XP, but also runs well on server or 2000, so thats why we shall be sticking with MS OS.

Your last point is the million dollar question.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭helios12

There is always the Linux option ;)

I mean, your hardly building gaming rigs here.

( Edit: beat to the punch, that'll learn me to read all the thread)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Fizman wrote: »
    Just wondering if this is possible guys? My boss wants me to look into maybe building PC's from individually purchased components and selling them onto some of our clients. Obviously there is a nice bit to be saved here.

However as I was doing the maths today, one fully functional and decent spec PC can be pieced together for about €180. The problem then is adding the OS license, which looks like roughly €90 for XP Pro. This brings the total including shipping to about €275, whereas we have been purchasing built and licensed units from dabs for under €350.

So when you factor in the workload required to build the rig, there is no point going down this route.

Is there any way XP Pro licences can be obtained a bit cheaper, maybe if they were bought in larger batches or something?

Any info appreciated!
    How about licenses off old computers either broken, thrown out or left to rust? They'd have licenses - doesn't matter about the condtion, you just want the label and CD.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

cpu-dude wrote: »
    How about licenses off old computers either broken, thrown out or left to rust? They'd have licenses - doesn't matter about the condtion, you just want the label and CD.
    Most would be OEM licences, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Jonathan wrote: »
    Most would be OEM licences, no?
    Does it matter?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Does it matter?

OEM licences die with the computer.

Not quite true.....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Not quite true.....
    yeah back in the day you had 90 days to upgrade the license to a volume license software assurance thingy

If you know a way to reuse OEM legally please post a link from Microsoft.com or government web site.

yeah back in the day you had 90 days to upgrade the license to a volume license software assurance thingy

If you know a way to reuse OEM legally please post a link from Microsoft.com or government web site.

Won't be posting a link so :cool:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The bigger manufacturers get cheaper OEM licenses which is hard to compete against.

XP licenses would probably have to be second hand at this stage, so you are looking at ebay and discount / end of line stuff. BUT XP is in big demand and you can't buy OEM either. Also you can't buy say Russian XP licenses and install English language versions.

There were some legal issues on selling second hand volume licenses, not sure if that ever got sorted out.

Check to see if your system would run on WINE ?

the other advantage of a free OS is there is a better chance the punters would leave it as a dedicated machine.

IF the system will run on a low end system then you may still get an XP one from discounters - http://www.sterlingxs.co.uk/ they aren't cheap and only have the laptops discontinued but this is the sort of site you could look for

check with the computer manufacturers about being a reseller they might give you a 10-20% discount, which might be the margin you are on at present,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭eman66

I'm not saying it's not there, but I asked MS to show me where in the OEM EULA it states that the OS can't be used on another computer. They himmed and they hahed, fudged and promised, but never did send me the text. I'd still like to know if anybody can show me, mostly so that I can show others when I say no to them when they want to transfer.

OP, I have a some unused, still in shrink wrap, retail Windows 2000 Pro if they would be any good to you. Don't remember how many I'd have to look in the box, maybe 6 to 12, possibly more. Probably no good to you in the longer term though.

Advertisement