Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of a BER audit

Options
  • 03-09-2009 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

does anyone know what the going rate is for a BER audit , on say a 1 bed cottage? Have prices reduced due to competition and a depressed marketplace?
    John

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭di2772

JMJR wrote: »
    does anyone know what the going rate is for a BER audit , on say a 1 bed cottage? Have prices reduced due to competition and a depressed marketplace?
    John

A friend of mine got one on a 1 Bed apartment for €130. Im told you can get them cheaper though, but he was in a hurry. Shop around. There is a lot of competition there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

aye, there's massive competition. What I did was get about 6 or 7 email addresses, write a generic email asking for a quote (deliberately made it obvious it was sent to multiple recepients) and BCC'd it to that small list.

Got a range of quotes, from the totally-take-the-piss to the very reasonable. Quickly too.

IIRC Daft has a large list of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved from Accommodation & Property to BER.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭JMJR

Victor wrote: »
    Moved from Accommodation & Property to BER.
    @ Mods

This is a request to move it back as I don't think that this is an appropriate place. If someone from here were to reply it might be seen as touting for business as it seems primarily a BER provider forum. While what I wanted was to ask consumers about their recent experiences and the accommodation forum seems to have been appropriate as evidenced by the replies. Regards John

• Registered Users Posts: 46,127 ✭✭✭✭muffler

No, its fine here John.

There are other near similar threads here already.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Bhoypaul

The going rate for a BER is all dependent upoon who you get.

The advice given above is good to get a range of prices. However when you do look at your short list be sure to quiz the BER Assessor on their qualifications and experience in the building and energy industry.

Firstly, strange as it may seem, not everybody has passed the exam to assess existing houses. In fact there are assessors out there legally working who have failed the exam (about 25% who ahve sat the exam according to the SEI). They have until the end of the year to resit and pass.

Secondly, to sit the exam all you have to do is pay to attend the course that prepares you for the exam. A good analogy would be if there was a course for people to do electrical wiring that lasted a day and a half. They learned about blue and brown wires and live and neutrals, etc. Once they passed the exam which was to wire a 13A socket, they then went on to give up their non-engineering or architectural line of work and advertised that they could wire up houses. Would you let them wire your house if they were cheaper than a time served and qualified electrican?

The price you will be quoted includes €25+VAT for the SEI. An allowance for travel time, survey time, assessment input time, reporting time administration time and possibly VAT has to be taken into account.

It is worth paying for an assessment from someone who has experience in building and architecture from before the BER scheme started. you may pay a bit more but you will be sure that you are getting value for money.

<SNIP>

Bhoypaul wrote: »
    The going rate for a BER is all dependent upoon who you get.

The advice given above is good to get a range of prices. However when you do look at your short list be sure to quiz the BER Assessor on their qualifications and experience in the building and energy industry.

Firstly, strange as it may seem, not everybody has passed the exam to assess existing houses. In fact there are assessors out there legally working who have failed the exam (about 25% who ahve sat the exam according to the SEI). They have until the end of the year to resit and pass.

Secondly, to sit the exam all you have to do is pay to attend the course that prepares you for the exam. A good analogy would be if there was a course for people to do electrical wiring that lasted a day and a half. They learned about blue and brown wires and live and neutrals, etc. Once they passed the exam which was to wire a 13A socket, they then went on to give up their non-engineering or architectural line of work and advertised that they could wire up houses. Would you let them wire your house if they were cheaper than a time served and qualified electrican?

The price you will be quoted includes €25+VAT for the SEI. An allowance for travel time, survey time, assessment input time, reporting time administration time and possibly VAT has to be taken into account.

It is worth paying for an assessment from someone who has experience in building and architecture from before the BER scheme started. you may pay a bit more but you will be sure that you are getting value for money.

<SNIP>

Only a BER assessor would write this. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

As opposed to whom ?

sinnerboy wrote: »
    As opposed to whom ?

Anybody else.:rolleyes:

Anybody else could not advise so - could they ?

Bhoypaul was not selling anything as I think you infer - he gave free useful advice .

How would you value your contribution ?

• Advertisement

sinnerboy wrote: »
    Anybody else could not advise so - could they ?

Bhoypaul was not selling anything as I think you infer - he gave free useful advice .

How would you value your contribution ?

Shop around. Thats the best advice your going to get all day.

Just for the record here lads.

Bhoypaul was advertising his services before I snipped the offending words and infracted him.

di2772 cracked a joke about his post. It was innocent and I think the smiley indicated this so I dont see the need for the rebuttal.

Can we leave it at that now and get back on topic please.

muffler wrote: »
    Bhoypaul was advertising his services before I snipped the offending words and infracted him.

Ooops - did not spot that . :o Puts a different slant on it alright .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Bhoypaul

yes I am a BER assessor as the signature I added indicated. Why it was removed I don't know.
    I added the signature so that it was obvious where the advise was coming from.
    The advice was free as Sinnerboy stated.
    I also advise that you shop around for your prices as you would do for any other service.

My main point was how aware is the general public about the experience of BER Assessors?

yes I am a BER assessor as the signature I added indicated. Why it was removed I don't know.
    Perhaps if you took the time to read the forum charter you will find the answer.

Oh and I give you the answer in the infraction also so there is no need to dwell on it here.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,644 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I added the signature so that it was obvious where the advise was coming from.
    The advice was free as Sinnerboy stated.
    I also advise that you shop around for your prices as you would do for any other service.

My main point was how aware is the general public about the experience of BER Assessors?

the reason your sig was removed was because it advertised your services as a BER assessor. That is against forum rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

In general I have found not at all and most don't care, most people see it as an extra tax with no benefit, which if you are selling or renting it quite possible is and all people in this situation want is the cheapest BER going it dosn't matter to them what the rating actually is. Pay penuts and get monkies!!!

Advertisement