Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ammunition dealers licence

Options
  • 03-09-2009 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Just enquiring if anybody knows how hard it is to get. I have the form now for over a year and meant to send it off. theres nobody really within 15 miles of me that sells ammunition and a lot of people shoot, so it might be a good service for the area.

I know that obviously the gardai would be tough on security measures, but thats to be expected.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

.......... theres nobody really within 15 miles of me that sells ammunition and a lot of people shoot, so it might be a good service for the area.

I know that obviously the gardai would be tough on security measures, but thats to be expected.

Its a thought that had crossed my mind once or twice. I have all the necessary security requirements for these new SI's (level 4) but i'm convinced even stricter guidelines would be required to obtain a dealers (ammo) licence. Plus i don't think it would be as easy as applying and getting it. If it was then alot of people would do so especially lads that do serious target work. I sure buying (as a dealer) in bulk would work out much cheaper.

You say you're about 15 miles from your nearest dealer. My nearest dealer is 50 minutes away. That would also be a factor in aquiring the licence. Proximity to other dealers. The licensing authority would say why not drive the 20 minutes or so to the dealer. There are 3 gun clubs around where i live so customers would not be an issue as they have to travel as far as me for ammo.

I'm not trying to be a killjoy, but its just a few points to think about. Do me a favour if you do apply (successful or not) keep us updated. Still have an interest in doing something similar.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

You neeed to check the new rules for dealers that were introduced in the last couple of acts especially the last one that requires you to have a tax clearance certificate.

It also needs to be borne in mind that the ammo dealers licence only covers you to deal in shotgun cartridges and .22 rounds. Nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

Taken from DOJ website:

a. Complete the Application Form to Register as a Firearms Dealer (PDF - 13KB).
    b. Lodge it with the Garda sergeant of the sub-district where you reside.
    c. An Garda Síochána will conduct a suitability report on your character.
    A Crime Prevention Report will be undertaken on the location from which you intend to trade. (Note that you should not undertake any of the Crime Prevention Officer's recommendations until the Minister agrees provisionally in writing to your registration.)
    d. When An Garda Síochána complete both reports, they will forward them to the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform.
    e. The Minister will at this stage inform you in writing of his decision regarding your registration as a firearms dealer. Should the Minister’s decision be positive, you may start building work in order to comply with the recommendations of your Crime Prevention Officer.
    f. Once you have completed all building work, it is your responsibility to contact your Crime Prevention Officer for a final inspection of the premises. If the premises are in order, a further report will be forwarded to the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform.
    g. On confirmation of everything being in order, the Minister will request from you the registration fee – COLOR=Blue]now €1,000[/COLOR for a firearms and ammunition dealer and COLOR=Blue]€75[/COLOR for an ammunition-only dealer (that's for three years)

h. Once the fee is received by the Minister, your certificate of registration will issue. Only when you receive the certificate of registration may you start trading as a firearms dealer.

It can take a long time I hear from start to finish: mostly the delay is in getting the building work done and alarms installed and all that.

rrpc wrote: »
    You neeed to check the new rules for dealers that were introduced in the last couple of acts especially the last one that requires you to have a tax clearance certificate.

It also needs to be borne in mind that the ammo dealers licence only covers you to deal in shotgun cartridges and .22 rounds. Nothing else.

Good point. Register yourself as a business. Get VAT number. You're now classified as self employed. No more welfare to fall back on as with PRSI. You now need accountant to keep your books. Tax, vat receipts etc to be submitted every 2 months or you are fined. Then there is the cost of the extra security and if the CPO doesn't want you to store the ammunition in the house (even if its well secured) then you have to build a secure structure that complies with all the aformentioned security regulations. Knew i didn't follow it up for a reason.

The cartridges and .22 would be nice but really i would need the centrefire pistol ammo aswell but as its restricted i now need a restricted firearms licence even for the ammo. Big money.

Did i forget anything or am i wrong in any point. Open to correction.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

ezridax wrote: »
    The cartridges and .22 would be nice but really i would need the centrefire pistol ammo aswell but as its restricted i now need a restricted firearms licence even for the ammo. Big money.

Did i forget anything or am i wrong in any point. Open to correction.
    No, you pretty much hit all the skittles :D

• Advertisement

rrpc wrote: »
    No, you pretty much hit all the skittles :D

Unlike Sunday a couple of weeks ago (MNSCI) but thats another ball of wax.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 gameshotpro

Ya its mostly all shotgun work around here, not many rifles in this area so the shotgun ammo would be sound.
    I couldnt register myself as self employed cos i have a job, so how would that work out?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Dont bother if you are dealing from your house..:(
    The ""is the place is.Home/small gun/ammo dealers are to be got rid of ,due to the fear of Tiger raids,by demanding huge securuity increases and any future dealerships must be in towns ,with all the security,and in a ratable commerical building.Of which the dealer is the sole occupant... So IOW make it as difficult as possible for anyone to try and open anything that might actually make money for the local economy...:rolleyes::(

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

I couldnt register myself as self employed cos i have a job, so how would that work out?

You can put it down as secondary employment/part time work income with the revenue.But that will proably fall foul of the DOJ ,as they want to see you dealing full time apprently.:(

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

You would need the wife to apply for it. Couldn't be a girlfriend (afaik). Must be someone else in the household (cos thats where the secure room will be built) that will be a registered key holder. I don't think you could get a friend to register the business and have the room at your place. Plus is all the extra cost really worth the money you may save on cartridges. Why not pool your money and buy in bulk. I do this with a few lads, get a nice bit of the cartridges (per 1000). By the by i have 1000 on my old licence for cartridges and .22 and asked for the same on my new one as do the lads i buy with. So honestly a dealers licence would only allow me to store extra cartridges and for all that hassle i rather make the monthly trip to the dealer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 gameshotpro

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    You can put it down as secondary employment/part time work income with the revenue.But that will proably fall foul of the DOJ ,as they want to see you dealing full time apprently.:(

:confused:Theres a lot of stuff to think about, I suppose the only thing i can do is send off the form and see what happens.

Advertisement