Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nervous about starting college?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

K4t wrote: »
    Yeah yeah yeah......

what free stuff did you get?:pac:

When I started in UCD I got some epic free stuff.
    Chocolate flavoured condoms, loaves of bread, pot noodles, tampons, moisturiser, 100000 pens, and other crap I don't need.
    (Apart from the condoms, which were essential.. :P)

Can't wait to start Trinners now. More free crap!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

bythewoods wrote: »
    When I started in UCD I got some epic free stuff.
    Chocolate flavoured condoms, loaves of bread, pot noodles, tampons, moisturiser, 100000 pens, and other crap I don't need.
    (Apart from the condoms, which were essential.. :P)

Can't wait to start Trinners now. More free crap!! :D

Chocolate flavoured?! If you have to play some kind of "here, look, it tastes like chocolate!" line... :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I still have six days before I start :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Had no lectures today, intended on coming in to the library and getting some work done, spent all day sorting out the labs in work (I have, after maybe 8 hours work, got about 1% of the work done), and now am in the library, cant see myself getting out anytime soon either :(

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Gloom

Hey everyone. Chris/Gloom here. :pac:
    (gonna reply before I read through anyone's post and I have a lot to post so be warned)

I'm from a small town in Waterford called Lismore. I am off to attend TCD.

"Nervous about starting college?"
    To be honest, yeah, I'm pretty nervous about starting college. I think it's going to be a complete 180 from the norm. I'm so used to getting up at 7:30am, heading into school, meeting my friends who I've known since Playschool (hellz yeah, those were the days), finishing, going home and having my dinner. I was comfortable and had a routine. 6th year came and went. I saw my friends depart for college as I chose to repeat as I wasn't satisfied with myself. I repeated in the same public school so it wasn't a major change unlike some others who repeat in completely new surroundings.

Now, things are changing completely. I'm off to Trinity on my own. 90% of my friends went to Cork, Waterford or Limerick. I only know of 3 or 4 who are at UCD and DCU. None at TCD. Now, it's easy to say that "ah sure, just come home at the weekends!" Due to my financial position (no grant, single parent, reduced income) coming home will not be "possible" unless I want to "waste" money. (which could be used on food/living).

Friends have told me to join them in Cork. But I never wanted to. I see that most of them never branched out, were always together and the usual cliche of "High school never ends" I wanted to be free and on my own.

However, all through last year in school, what got me through repeating was the thought of living a new independant life and being happy with myself. No regrets.

:o

tl;dr

I'm nervous because I'll be on my own. But I'm also excited because I'm on my own. If that makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Jay P wrote: »
    I still have six days before I start :(

I have 10... actually can't beileive hpow close I am to startin college !!!!

Gloom wrote: »
    Hey everyone. Chris/Gloom here. :pac:
    (gonna reply before I read through anyone's post and I have a lot to post so be warned)

I'm from a small town in Waterford called Lismore. I am off to attend TCD.

I'm nervous because I'll be on my own. But I'm also excited because I'm on my own. If that makes sense.

Ye that makes sense... What coures u doin ??

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Gloom

Ancient & Medieval History and Culture. I'm a huge fan of galleries and stuff.
    I was set on doing a health science course when History took it's toll on me. I was always interested in History, however more of the Older stuff than "recent" (1916) and all that. Plus, I'm really into art history, society, and culture and the course covers it. All in all a perfect course for me. :) Don't see many jobs for it unless I can BS what I learned. I just tell people I'm doing History. :D

15 people in the course, so small enough. :)

After going through all the post from Trinity though, I'm more excited about college life than education at all. How 'bout yourself?

A Trinity Boards Night would be good, I think. :D Or even a night out for all Dublin colleges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

DanDan6592 wrote: »
    I have 10... actually can't beileive hpow close I am to startin college !!!!

Well I suppose I'm technically starting in ten days as well. I've orientation next thursday and then lectures are the next Monday. Feckin summer has gotten seriously boring!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

A Trinity Boards Night would be good, I think. :D Or even a night out for all Dublin colleges.

I think this url]http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055675349[/url might be what you're looking for! :)

I was really nervous starting, but it was fine! Just finished my first full week and it feels like I've been there for all eternity! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

Just finished my first full week and it feels like I've been there for all eternity! :)

That sounds kinda scary!
    I'm getting less nervous and more excited by the day, as my stack of TCD mailings gets higher. Every society looks great...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭xochillixo

nerves havnt kicked in at all....... and i havnt been nervous yet....... maybe i just havnt grasped fully in my mind what im about to get myself in for........

bring it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

I have been shifting between nervous and excited for the last few weeks, which I expect will continue until at least the first week is over with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I am a bit nervous tbh, I'm really quiet around new people so I'm afraid I won't really make any friends for a while.

If anybody in DCU sees a confused looking girl in a Danger Mouse tshirt, come over and say hi :pac:

Ancient & Medieval History and Culture. I'm a huge fan of galleries and stuff.
    I was set on doing a health science course when History took it's toll on me. I was always interested in History, however more of the Older stuff than "recent" (1916) and all that. Plus, I'm really into art history, society, and culture and the course covers it. All in all a perfect course for me. :) Don't see many jobs for it unless I can BS what I learned. I just tell people I'm doing History. :D

15 people in the course, so small enough. :)

After going through all the post from Trinity though, I'm more excited about college life than education at all. How 'bout yourself?

Ye I'm doin Bus wit Russian... Only 7 of us.

Thinkin of transferin to Near Eastern and Jewish Studies as I'm real interested in the middle East but I'm excited by the bus course too. So we'll see how it goes.

But I'd agree wit u that I'm lookin forward more to the social life then the education!!!
    Jay P wrote: »
    Well I suppose I'm technically starting in ten days as well. I've orientation next thursday and then lectures are the next Monday. Feckin summer has gotten seriously boring!

O defo the summer got borin speacially August thought it wud never end!! altho my mate jus got a free gaf for 3 weeks and the weather has gotten good again so...:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement