Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Eircom Outage & DNS errors- 2nd September Only place to post

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 shotgun

Looks like a DNS problem - getting intermittent ping timeouts on both DNS servers listed on the Netopia router.

Once you get to the site you want it appears to work fine

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭irishtoffee

Eircom is a disgrace once again they are letting customers down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Changed to open dns and its working fine now thanks :D. Serves eircom right for blocking tpb :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

thanks guys!!

Was getting sick of this, broadband has been very slow over last few days as well, Hopefully this will sort it out too!

Trevor451 wrote: »
    Changed to open dns and its working fine now thanks :D. Serves eircom right for blocking tpb :rolleyes:

Forgive my ignorence but what does open dns mean? Is it a risk to computer? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 scorpion05

thanks for the open DNS addresses. back online now. are eircom blaming the russians again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,496 ✭✭✭✭guil

douglasman wrote: »
    bring up a command prompt and type

telnet 192.168.1.254

Login as Admin

Then type

show dsl all

report back what that gives, it will include the level of interleaving eircom have set on your line. This can then be altered by eircom.
    how does this look

ADSL Line State: Up
    ADSL Startup Attempts: 1
    ADSL Modulation: DMT
    ADSL Data Path: Interleave
    CO vendor: BDCM
    Datapump Version: DSP 7.0.4.0, HAL 7.0.1.0

Downstream
    SNR Margin: 10.00
    Line Attenuation: 23.00
    Output Power: 9.36
    Errored Seconds: 0
    Loss of Signal: 0
    Loss of Frame: 0
    CRC Errors: 1
    Data Rate: 7168

upstream

SNR Margin: 19.00 dB
    Line Attenuation: 13.00 dB
    Output Power: 0.00 dB
    Errored Seconds: 0
    Loss of Signal: 1
    Loss of Frame: 0
    CRC Errors: 1
    Data Rate 384

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Forgive my ignorence but what does open dns mean? Is it a risk to computer? Thanks.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055608998&page=29 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Same here. It's getting very frustrating now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

The last few days and possibly more, weeks even, the service has been terrible. Espeically here in palmerstown.

And I'm not just talking about peak times. It is around 11pm even and Im still working at 1/5 the speed I should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Connection Speed 6944 kbps 672 kbps
    Line Attenuation 19 db 6.5 db
    Noise Margin 13 db 13 db

I'd be lucky if I was getting 1/7th of that right now. Its been like that for days. Not just at peaks hours.

Im with BT too. But neighbors on Eircom are suffering in the same way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭r_obric

i changed to open dns a while ago and it was fine, but now its ****e again, any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

ffs.. how many times i have changed back to default DNS only to get burned again. stick w/ OpenDNS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Bill Andrex

Eircom are a joke is right. Their DNS is a mess and unable to resolve any addresses. The technically savvy are lucky because they are able to use Open DNS to access the Internet.

I think its time to ring up Eircom and ask for a refund because I am paying for a service and I'm not getting it. :mad: If I don't get any customer service from them I'm gonna put on my boots and walk.

I don't care if they are having technical issues, its not my problem! I'd suggest that anyone who is not under contract from Eircom leaves and says goodbye to the misery!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I am getting 500 - internal server error on a site i can access main page, send pm's but cant access any of the threads even though other posters can

Cant access live mail or book of faces even with DNS change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Crazypaddy

"LIVE A RICHER LIFE" by not getting ripped off by Eicoms crappy DNS (Chorus Magnet digiweb NTL BT here we come #eircomfail #eircom #fail

And then we will bully them into proper rates for the slow speeds they offer us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Small thread merged with big thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭_ZeeK_

their dns servers have probably been hacked by some international pirates.

that'll teach the c**ts to censor our internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Changed my DNS settings..........worked a treat.............Outlook Express email not working so changed account settings

Type webmail.eircom.net into the Incoming mail Server and type mail1.eircom.net into the Outgoing mail (SMTP) Server fields.

http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/&/WEBCGI.EXE/,/

worked right off

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

This is now the only place to post about eircom's outages and DNS issues. The other threads are closed to new posts.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055663046
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055671706
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055591103
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055671561
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055608998

This thread will be stickied, and the title has been modified so all can see what it's about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Crazypaddy

Its not right to prase it this way but Eircom has done a great deal this week in sliting its corporate wrists --- It is flat out encouraging us to leave ---

1. Embarrassing Ireland on the international front by ruining hopes of lasting net nutrallity. :mad:
    2. Providing one of the worst DNS servers in the world and expecting us to pay for it.:eek:
    They don't care about us why should we care if they go into the dumpster and get liqudated --- someone buy Eircom for 1cent and give its customers 1st world broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭concubar

Thanks , changed the dns setting , all is well again..:D

( pity i didnt find this out before system restore, 1 hour at leaset pulling out my hair ):confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,601 ✭✭✭eigrod

Was on RTE Radio News there at midnight about an outage in Eircom's internet services. Eircom say it was between 6.30 and 8.00 pm (yeah right !) and intermittently since. Said it may not necessarily be down to anything malicious and may be down to equipment failure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

_ZeeK_ wrote: »
    their dns servers have probably been hacked by some international pirates.

that'll teach the c**ts to censor our internet.
    It'd be loltastic, if it didn't suck so bad. Eircom blocked TPB as it didn't have enough money to fight it, and the customers suffer. The hackers cause Eircom to be f**ked, which again makes the customers suffer.

But do the hackers script kiddies f**k the RIAA and their cronies over? Doesn't look like it. Eircoms an easy target, it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ronnyg28

Eircom will blame the russians again,it is obvious what is going on.a certain website "pirate bay" has launched a DDos attack on eircom for their stupidity of blocking access to their site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Well if it is people associated with piratebay doing it, then I'm not so pissed.
    This way people will have 2 reasons to change ISP.
    - **** service
    - censored internet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭wheels of ire

It seems to be back - I can even get the Eircom.net site to open.
    Is there a mention or perhaps an apology?
    What do you think? Not a word.
    Impressive. Funny, one of my plans for tonight was going to be switching to BT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

Yeah they are a complete waste of time, will be changing isp very soon.

Until then switch you dns servers to http://www.opendns.com/

works a charm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭bluefinger

eircom's a joke. and it stopped being funny a long time ago. do they still charge f'ing line rental.

using ntl years, never had a problem.

Advertisement