Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Eircom Outage & DNS errors- 2nd September Only place to post

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

There's no need for a 9th thread on the front page for this topic.
    In case you miss the sticky.

Merged.

ronnyg28 wrote: »
    Eircom will blame the russians again,it is obvious what is going on.a certain website "pirate bay" has launched a DDos attack on eircom for their stupidity of blocking access to their site.

Not Piratebay, but probably users who are unhappy about eircom's decision to block it. More than likely they'll be described as hackers in tomorrow's news.

Unfortunately, their actions will only cause trouble for the customers, who haven't done anything wrong here. eircom are unlikely to care about this, or the small number of customers they might lose over the blocking of Piratebay and these DNS issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭tonymahoney

Really pissed off now - was using my new Samsung NC10 today and thought that some new programs I added were causing internet to slow like AVG free etc. - after 2 hours of trying to figure out I was listening to late news on RTE and learnt that all along it was their DNS servers. Now I am totally PISSED OFF with them and I am sure I speak for all concerned. Not a penny credit did we get last time this happened just a pathetic letter of apology and now again. Then they haave the cheek to block pirate bay - grow some balls EIRCOM -
    Anyone else considering changing ISP follwoing all these cock ups recently?:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    P.s. We should all start one of these on line petitions and email them or get signatures or something - probably better still WALK AWAY FROM THEM - incompetent bunch

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭_ZeeK_

the_syco wrote: »
    It'd be loltastic, if it didn't suck so bad. Eircom blocked TPB as it didn't have enough money to fight it, and the customers suffer. The hackers cause Eircom to be f**ked, which again makes the customers suffer.

But do the hackers script kiddies f**k the RIAA and their cronies over? Doesn't look like it. Eircoms an easy target, it seems.

RIAA need not necessarily be the target. it can be a lesson to other ISPs out there facing Court Cases from music industries. if it happens enough, aggrieved customers will transfer from Eircom to other ISPs and consequently Eircom will suffer financially as a result of having blocked thepiratebay. these hackers will teach the ISPs not to fold to the music industry so easily. . . well, thats what I'd imagine the reasoning to be. It seems like too much of a coincidence that their DNS would be hacked the day after they alter their DNS to block access to TPB...
    jor el wrote: »
    eircom are unlikely to care about this, or the small number of customers they might lose over the blocking of Piratebay and these DNS issues.

if it happens often enough, it might not be a small number of customers. so far, these attacks have been during off peak hours. it might cause a stir if it happens again during business hours...

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭_ZeeK_

Really pissed off now - was using my new Samsung NC10 today and thought that some new programs I added were causing internet to slow like AVG free etc. - after 2 hours of trying to figure out I was listening to late news on RTE and learnt that all along it was their DNS servers. Now I am totally PISSED OFF with them and I am sure I speak for all concerned. Not a penny credit did we get last time this happened just a pathetic letter of apology and now again. Then they haave the cheek to block pirate bay - grow some balls EIRCOM -
    Anyone else considering changing ISP follwoing all these cock ups recently?:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    P.s. We should all start one of these on line petitions and email them or get signatures or something - probably better still WALK AWAY FROM THEM - incompetent bunch

case and point.

and yeah, i know it sucks for the customers. i am one myself. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

eigrod wrote: »
    Was on RTE Radio News there at midnight about an outage in Eircom's internet services. Eircom say it was between 6.30 and 8.00 pm (yeah right !) and intermittently since. Said it may not necessarily be down to anything malicious and may be down to equipment failure.
    could it be that eircoms servers are just knackered and they havent got the funds to replace them?

probably better still WALK AWAY FROM THEM - incompetent bunch

This is the only thing that eircom will understand. An online petition isn't worth the paper it's written on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭cardol

:(I switched to OpenDNS about 2 months ago, but haven't really notice any difference. But when I checked my connection settings, I found my PC had reset itself back to the Eircom server without my realising it. I have no idea when this took place and might explain why I noticed no difference when I manually switched to OpenDNS 2 months ago.

Is it possible for the server to reset itself?

For anyone on the Eircom server:
    Tonight I rang Eircom (6pm) because my internet was kicking me out last night and today on an on-and-off basis. I spoke to someone at Eircom who asked me to use IE, I did and it found Sky News - Firefox was coming up with "server not found". He assured me there was no problem with my line, the problem lay with Firefox. But after I hung up, both IE and Firefox went down. Rang Eircom again (10 minutes after the first call) and got an automated service saying they were aware of a problem in my area and were trying to fix it. All lights are present and correct on my wireless modem, I am connected, just not able to actually go to webpages on Eircom server.

1.10am - Eircom is still down and I have manually switched back to OpenDNS but am now worried that my PC will reset itself again.:confused:

P.S. The bloke I spoke to at Eircom said I was mistaken when I compared this issue tonight with their previous issues 2 months ago. He said those issues had been resolved long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭tonymahoney

I'm laughing here to myself - as i was scrolling down reading other posts and replies to mine about Eircom being an incompentent bunch of idiots, I noticed a rather large Eircom add flashing in bottom right hand corner - Very ironic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 muldoon-boi

Hey same thing happening up here in monaghan!

Needed the internet tonight to register for UCAS and tottally fell on its arse....changed to OpenDNS and everything is perfect!

Im seriously thinking of leaving eircom and switching! its not as if they are the cheapest service and obvisually not good value for money! :mad:

When i called earlier they told me they were currently working in the area and that is why the internet was down? huh!

This has been happening alot up here and its a pity it was until now i found out about OpenDNS! Thanks guys for the info by the way...i owe use one! Finally got my UCAS filled out for tomarrow!

(No thanks to eircom)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Carragherisgod

Chorcai wrote: »
    I have a 7mb BB connection, I play online games like BF2/COD4 etc etc heres my issue, I used to have the 1mb bb about 1yr ago, my ping in game was always 25-30ms, now with the 7mb my ping is 60-70ms, you might not think its that much but it is a big differance. Any ideas on how to explain that to eircom ??

The only way to fix this is by dropping your line speed or getting a new phone line in your building. But that may not even fix your problem because of the phone line quality outside your building. The problem is the actual phone lines themselves. They're just so old and tattered that they can't handle the demand of the extra bandwidth.
    I play COD4 myself (but I'm with UPC (20meg)) and ping between 50 and 70 depending on how busy the server is. I have no problems playing with a ping like that but that's simply because the broadband cable can handle these speeds whereas 50 to 70 ping on a xDSL line would be near torture. It's unfortunate eircom didn't have serious competition in the market when broadband began to get popular in this country. If they had competition I can almost guarantee they would have improved their infrastructure. Even now with all these other companies supplying xDSL eircom don't bother upgrading their lines. Why? Simple answer. Why should they? They're still getting their €20+ a week line rental even if a person doesn't use eircom as their ISP. Other xDSL suppliers quality of service depends greatly on eircoms lines. It's a joke of a system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭PrinceMax

I can't get online on my windows xp netbook but when I tried my old ubuntu laptop I can get most sites. Can anyone explain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

Unfortunately ther best thing to do is get rid of them

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Theyre absolutely useless.I logged an official complaint last week about the outages last week and got a call yesterday before the latest round.

Apparently the customer complaints department say that there is no such thing as a "DNS error" and that there is no problem with the service whatsoever :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ive just logged another official complaint with them this morning and Ive been told that someone will contact me within 10 days.Wonder how many times its going to go down in 10 days???

Think its time to take UPC up on their offer of 20meg BB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

They could only allow access to Eircom BB customers. This way when their main dns servers are attacked they don't have the BB customers up in arms.
    It only takes 5 or 10 mins to build a DNS server on linux.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

On Morning Ireland this morning, a guy from Eircom said that the problems were due to issues with their international connections (he mentioned one in London being down). Apparently it's a different problem to the DNS issues a while ago, so I'm surprised that switching to OpenDNS is fixing the problem for people. He also said that it wasn't a denial of service attack and "99.9% sure" it had nothing to do with the Pirate Bay.

Seriously, if you are with Eircom, switch to someone else. If you can get it, UPC are probably the best value but anyone is preferable to Eircom.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

mobius42 wrote: »

If you can get it, UPC are probably the best value but anyone is preferable to Eircom.

But apparently theyre still throttling torrents ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Hellrazer wrote: »
    no they're not, (as far as I can see) and it's doubtful they ever were imho.

it's very easy to mistake peak time contention with throttling.

see my posts on page 53 of the P2P thread for more info.

or was the ;) in that post to show sarcasm? :)

also as an FYI, the current outage isn't just eircom, it's affecting people all over the world.

I have access to several different web proxies at work for testing that are in the US and some of them are having issues with external sites.

I also have a friend who is using an IBB connection in his own work and he's having issues too so it's far from just eircom this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭gmurran

Eircom have throttled legal torrents for as long as I've been a customer. I can prove it by using a 3G card and getting faster torrent download speeds than on my old 3MB broadband. Which is ridiculous.

I say old because I've become so fed up with Eircom on a number of issues and this morning I canceled my account. I wont be going back. I'm moving to an alternative with better value, service and without censorship.

I encourage others to do the same.

gmurran wrote: »
    Eircom have throttled legal torrents for as long as I've been a customer. I can prove it by using a 3G card and getting faster torrent download speeds than on my old 3MB broadband. Which is ridiculous.
    not trying to be argumentative, but that's not proof of throttling, it could easily be contention or routing issues.

not that it matters if you're moving anyway. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Your the first person I;ve seen actually say this, the very fact its fine on 3G means nothing, it could very well be your router config, line issues, contention, routing etc.

Given your pretty much the only person saying this I'm going to suggest its one of the above rather then your theory :)

vibe666 wrote: »
    no they're not, (as far as I can see) and it's doubtful they ever were imho.

it's very easy to mistake peak time contention with throttling.

see my posts on page 53 of the P2P thread for more info.

Thanks for that Vibe.Myabe now is the time to change so.Theyre around the area every couple of days looking for new customers-offering packages that are half price for 3 months and everything.

I dont think Eircom have been throttling torrents tbh.Ive always had full speed downloads on the 7meg package--thats why Ive never changed before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

this is defo about the pirate bay, no other isp is affected afaik

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

skelliser wrote: »

There's a good quote called Hanlon's Razor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon%27s_razor

which goes

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

This is Eircom being discussed afterall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Down with Eircom.

Spear wrote: »
    There's a good quote called Hanlon's Razor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon%27s_razor

which goes

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

This is Eircom being discussed afterall.

A very apt quote!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

My 20MB connection says otherwise.
    No, they don't. I've maxed out my parents' 3MB Eircom connection numerous times. (Downloading Ubuntu, of course)

skelliser wrote: »
    no it's not, read post #109.
    Thanks for that Vibe.Myabe now is the time to change so.Theyre around the area every couple of days looking for new customers-offering packages that are half price for 3 months and everything.
    if you're gonna do it, don't forget the "€1 netbook (or €249 off any laptop) in carphone warehouse when you get 20mbps UPC broadband" deal that dingdong posted. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Oliverdog

flazio wrote: »
    Could someone point in the idiots guide as to how to tweak the DNS please?

http://www.opendns.com/solutions/overview/

Advertisement