Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Eircom Outage & DNS errors- 2nd September Only place to post

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭hi_sir

scorpion05 wrote: »
    thanks for the open DNS addresses. back online now. are eircom blaming the russians again :)

whn i was on to the call center last night i was told it was the same prob as before

i called the helpline lastnight and was given the open DNS now i rang back again about the second pc in the house was still up to nothing when i explained what i got done before the person in the call center told me that i should never have got the open DNS code and the person that gave it to me could loose their job over it,and my broadband will be in a mess over the next few days now i dont much about these things but is there truth in this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

Down and out for me too all yesterday. It's absolutely disgraceful the amount of DNS outtages they have suffered recently.They they not learn from all the previous DNS issues? :mad: I switched recently enough from BT to Eircom, the reason being as and from August 2008 my broadand slowed down to a snails pace with BT. It was never the same. I know that Eircom own the infrastructure and BT leases ports. In this case I believe the BT ports were saturated with users.Anyone else have this issue with BT?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

hi_sir wrote: »
    whn i was on to the call center last night i was told it was the same prob as before

i called the helpline lastnight and was given the open DNS now i rang back again about the second pc in the house was still up to nothing when i explained what i got done before the person in the call center told me that i should never have got the open DNS code and the person that gave it to me could loose their job over it,and my broadband will be in a mess over the next few days now i dont much about these things but is there truth in this

That's rubbish, it will not "be in a mess" all you have to do is remove them when eircom gets back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭gmurran

I accept that there are many reasons for slower downloads. But all things being equal contention rates on 3G are typically significantly higher in a built up area than those on a broadband connection. The speeds should be higher.

I take it back that I have 100% proof but when I can download files from an FTP or over http at almost full speed and torrents are going at 300K with 1000's of seeds then something is up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    ...all you have to do is remove them when eircom gets back to normal.

Why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭dacogawa

jor el i think you're wrong, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=61942457#post61942457 is the place for the eircom problem, this thread has 9 pages, the other original one has 42 pages of help & tips

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

dacogawa wrote: »
    jor el i think you're wrong, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=61942457#post61942457 is the place for the eircom problem, this thread has 9 pages, the other original one has 42 pages of help & tips

That thread is locked and directs people here. That other thread also applied to an earlier outage, not the current one that this one is specific to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 enigmax

Has anyone managed to get through to Eircom's support in recent hours and have them confirm their latest position? Do they know if it was a screw up or was it really an attack?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

enigmax wrote: »
    Has anyone managed to get through to Eircom's support in recent hours and have them confirm their latest position? Do they know if it was a screw up or was it really an attack?

The word from them last night was that it was a similar problem to whats been happeneing for the last couple of weeks ie a DNS problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

dacogawa wrote: »

The other thread is older, and about the last eircom DNS problem. This is the once about the current problem, which is why I dated the thread.

PM is the place for discussing issues with a thread or moderation decision, not on the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

hi_sir wrote: »
    the person in the call center told me that i should never have got the open DNS code and the person that gave it to me could loose their job over it,and my broadband will be in a mess over the next few days now i dont much about these things but is there truth in this

Absolute and utter lies. No less than I'd expect from eircom's reps. The only reason your broadband will be in a mess over the next couple of days, is because of eircom. Changing ensures no mess (to a certain extent anyway).
    ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    That's rubbish, it will not "be in a mess" all you have to do is remove them when eircom gets back to normal.

I wouldn't change anything back. eircom have had two major DNS issues in less than a month, why would you trust they can get it right a third time? Just stick with OpenDNS, but also consider a change of ISP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭boccy23

I am outside Naas and last night and again today, the red light is on on the Netopia router. I have Open DNS so I thought that this should not be giving me a problem.

Why would I be getting the Red light?:mad:

On a mobile now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

boccy23 wrote: »
    I am outside Naas and last night and again today, the red light is on on the Netopia router. I have Open DNS so I thought that this should not be giving me a problem.

Why would I be getting the Red light?:mad:

On a mobile now.

Red light suggests no sync, nothing to with DNS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭boccy23

Spear wrote: »
    Red light suggests no sync, nothing to with DNS.

That's what I thought. Wonder if it was taken off line because of DNS problems??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

john42 wrote: »
    blah blah blah

Go away to the politics forum.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

john42, infraction issued for politics/lisbon crap.
    Only a complete and utter idiot votes differently based on revenge.

Post more of this crap in this forum again and consider yourself banned for a month, if you have an issue with this then take it to helpdesk.

Question this decision on this thread/forum then your perma banned.

boccy23 wrote: »
    That's what I thought. Wonder if it was taken off line because of DNS problems??

There'd be nothing to be gained by doing that, only annoying customers more by cutting off what remaining connectivity they have. You'll need to check your line condition and if need be talk to Eircom, but that's not for this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Net is finally working properly.
    Had open DNS set up but didnt make any difference at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

enigmax wrote: »

having held for an hour last night only to have the call terminated without speaking to anyone i got through to them today shortly after you posted. I actually called customer care to complain about all the recent down-time, the lack of communication on the matter with customers, and to enquire whether, with all the recent service interruptions, they would be offering customers a rebate on their next bill. (i'm a business customer fwiw)

the guy on customer care bumped me through to support for some reason. the support guy was just as confused as me as to why. he read me the statement which they now have on the website. when i said i wanted to file a complaint about the lack of communication and ask for a rebate he said he'd have to put me back on to customer care.

i finally spoke with a woman in customer care who denied that there was any major problem apart from service being interrupted for "a few hours". she said she couldn't do anything for me about the previous interruptions because i hadn't reported them at the time. I protested that they were common knowledge. her attitude seemed to be - what's the big deal, it wasn't down long. she said she would log my complaint. i asked what I could expect from that. she said nothing, the complaint would simply be logged (whatever that means) but that nobody would be following it up with me. pointless waste of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if you're a business customer contact your account manager and make a complaint to them, there's no point talking to anyone else about it, you'll get nowhere.

if you're a small business customer and they didn't give you an account manager (not sure if they would for everyone) then ask to be put through to a manager and don't take no for an answer. they'll try and make out like there aren't any available but there is always someone there with a brain, it wouldn't be safe otherwise. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Bill Andrex

Phoned Eircom and had a moan with them and asked for a refund for the lack of service. Apparently Eircom management are looking into this and we might expect some sort of letter or refund next week.

I'm not holding my breath however, if they don't cough up, I'm leaving Eircom for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

vibe666 wrote: »
    if you're a business customer contact your account manager and make a complaint to them, there's no point talking to anyone else about it, you'll get nowhere.

if you're a small business customer and they didn't give you an account manager (not sure if they would for everyone) then ask to be put through to a manager and don't take no for an answer. they'll try and make out like there aren't any available but there is always someone there with a brain, it wouldn't be safe otherwise. ;)

cheers, appreciate the advice

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Theyve just offered me a months free broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Ivy Mike

Hellrazer wrote: »

lol, will it actually work for that month I wonder? :P

Ivy Mike wrote: »
    lol, will it actually work for that month I wonder? :P

Thats what I asked them--Did they actually think Id get a month out of it without an outage.
    Mr Eircom guy wasnt too impressed with that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Can I have the script of your phonecall with them? I'm sure it would be a good read! :pac:

You couldnt publish it on a public website tbh.

They did tell me the only reason they were following through with my complaint(and offering a refund) was because I logged it with tech support last night aswell as the last few times its happened.

If I hadnt logged it I would have no comeback.

Oh yeah and btw they hate this forum on boards :)

Apparently the users in this forum are nothing but a "bunch of moaners who whinge about every Isp" in the country and are "particulary(sp) hard on Eircom" :D:D:D

Thats a direct quote from the customer service agent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

I can't say I blame the reps... Imagine getting hundreds of calls from disgruntled customers complaining about the same thing over and over again... I couldn't take it either. I'm sure if they had a choice they'd have these DNS issues fixed straight away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

Apparently the users in this forum are nothing but a "bunch of moaners who whinge about every Isp" in the country and are "particulary(sp) hard on Eircom" :D:D:D

Yes, we are hard on Eircom and justifiably so. There are a monopolistic ISP that censors its customers to please private interests and has had three major outages in the space of a month. Their contention ratios are also through the roof due to lack of investment in their network.

If they want us to stop complaining, then they should get their act together and stop treating their customers like criminals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭TheDeficit

You couldnt publish it on a public website tbh.

They did tell me the only reason they were following through with my complaint(and offering a refund) was because I logged it with tech support last night aswell as the last few times its happened.

If I hadnt logged it I would have no comeback.

well mr eircom agent if you're reading this, you're working for a shower of useless, incompetent, lazy, lying wasters that should they be operating in any country where the people have a choice, would be fortunate to have one customer.

Advertisement