Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Eircom Outage & DNS errors- 2nd September Only place to post

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Apparently the users in this forum are nothing but a "bunch of moaners who whinge about every Isp" in the country and are "particulary(sp) hard on Eircom" :D:D:D

Eircom, if you're watching.......

**** YOU.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

What annoys me most is that if they are reading this forum then why arent they taking the views of their customers on board and doing something about it.

If I was working for Eircom(well an eircom manager) and reading this over the last few days the sheer amount of people considering leaving would have me really worried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

eircom hates us now? :o

Great Success!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭cardol

jor el wrote: »
    eircom hates us now? :o

Great Success!
    Hellrazer wrote: »
    You couldnt publish it on a public website tbh.

They did tell me the only reason they were following through with my complaint(and offering a refund) was because I logged it with tech support last night aswell as the last few times its happened.

If I hadnt logged it I would have no comeback.

Oh yeah and btw they hate this forum on boards :)

Apparently the users in this forum are nothing but a "bunch of moaners who whinge about every Isp" in the country and are "particulary(sp) hard on Eircom" :D:D:D

Thats a direct quote from the customer service agent.

OMG, I just went on their website and logged a complaint and gave them the URL to this forum!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

If there was some sort of communication that it was down and that they were working on it, it wouldnt have been too bad.
    The thing that pissed me off the most is that to find out information I had to come here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 c.os

I am using eircom bb at home and have had an issue this evening with Firefox on my MBP. Usually if I type one word in the address bar it will search and take me to the site, e.g. I type "facebook" and hit return and it takes me to facebook.com. However tonight, I am being redirected to opendns when I type one word. I never signed up for opendns or changed my dns settings, I jsut checked and they're still Eircom's default. It is very irritating, anybody shed any light on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

c.os wrote: »
    I am using eircom bb at home and have had an issue this evening with Firefox on my MBP. Usually if I type one word in the address bar it will search and take me to the site, e.g. I type "facebook" and hit return and it takes me to facebook.com. However tonight, I am being redirected to opendns when I type one word. I never signed up for opendns or changed my dns settings, I jsut checked and they're still Eircom's default. It is very irritating, anybody shed any light on this?

Didn't believe you but just tried it and I have Eircom DNS servers set up on my ISA 2006 server box and when I type facebook into the address bar of IE7 on that machine I get an open DNS page.

So it seems it isn't just me then. Is it the case fir everyone else too? Oddly enough Safari is now bringing me to the site, so maybe I will switch.

Techie bit... not sure if this is relevant but just did an nslookup against eircoms dns servers of eircom.net and eircom.ie and got non-authoritative replies in both cases, needs checking up on but I would have expected an authoritative reply to both those as they are eircoms own websites?

That might indicate that the DNS servers aren't doing the lookup themselves.

Edit> probably best ignore that as I get a non-authoritative reply to looking up opendns.com against on opendns's own dns servers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

My connection is still down, out in D13 - Belcamp exchange afaik. Any news?

On boards mobile at the mo...

• Advertisement

Lads, it sounds like Eircom switched to OpenDNS. Strange.

There's a FF plugin to 'fix' that issue.

I think I might give Safari a try instead now.

No 6_070309_0945am-someone lets them in.MOV
    54.9MB of 713.3MB - 4:40:44 remaining
    Add Video Name and Description and Edit Privacy Settings
    Success No 6_070309_0945am-someone lets them in.MOV
    Embed and Sharing Options Add Video Name and Description and Edit Privacy Settings
    Retry Cancelled No 6_070309_0945am-someone lets them in.MOV
    Retry Error No 6_070309_0945am-someone lets them in.MOV
    Upload Failed: User cancelled the upload. Upload Failed: An unknown error occurred. Upload Too Large: The file that you are uploading is too large. Pending: Your video settings will be saved once your video has finished being uploaded.

I think I might give Safari a try instead now.
    cardol wrote: »
    No 6_070309_0945am-someone lets them in.MOV
    Add Video Name and Description and Edit Privacy Settings
    Success No 6_070309_0945am-someone lets them in.MOV
    Embed and Sharing Options Add Video Name and Description and Edit Privacy Settings
    Retry Cancelled No 6_070309_0945am-someone lets them in.MOV
    Retry Error No 6_070309_0945am-someone lets them in.MOV
    Upload Failed: User cancelled the upload. Upload Failed: An unknown error occurred. Upload Too Large: The file that you are uploading is too large. Pending: Your video settings will be saved once your video has finished being uploaded.

Sorry all, this was all I could do, so here it is (I have no idea what it means) Iwas just trying to upload a movie on YouTube:(

• Registered Users Posts: 16 SpiceLMF

Same for me, that's how I came across this thread. Using a Firefox on a MBP as well and all my searches are going to OpenDNS. I guess Eircom has switched to OpenDNS themselves as I didn't change my settings. After reading this thread I may do though to avoid all the problems I've had with Eircom. The firefox extension to fix the search redirect is:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7993?src=api
    Haven't tested it yet but looks simple enough, installing now.

It's pretty ridiculous how Eircom does nothing to compensate their customer's who have filed complaints. I'm an American who's been living in Ireland for a while now and I just find it funny that you pay a ridiculous price for a capped bandwidth plan and then when problems occur they tell you you're imagining it. At home the prices still suck but there's no bandwidth limits (although many companies are trying to bring them in) and if you complain or threaten switching, 9 times out of 10, the agent will end up spending the time to help you troubleshoot or throw deals and compensation at you.

I've made subtle hints to my housemate that Eircom is absolute **** as I haven't been happy with the service. Also while I haven't used Pirate Bay in years I just find that to be hard to swallow that my ISP is blocking sites. I'm thinking now may be the time to really push for other options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

SpiceLMF wrote: »

It's pretty ridiculous how Eircom does nothing to compensate their customer's who have filed complaints. I'm an American who's been living in Ireland for a while now and I just find it funny that you pay a ridiculous price for a capped bandwidth plan and then when problems occur they tell you you're imagining it.

glad I'm not the only one left feeling like a sucker.
    In my business, if I had let a regular customer who was relying on me down like this several times in a month, I would certainly be making an unprompted, official apology and giving them a refund of some kind for the sake of goodwill.
    Instead, I call them up and yes, I'm almost told I'm imagining it (they don't acknowledge that there have been ongoing problems apart from those on the 2nd, anyway nothing can be done because I didn't report them at the time).
    My suggestions of some kind of refund and an official communication are greeted with incredulity.

Now I read someone else has got a month off their broadband bill. Perhaps the next time I get on the phone to them I should be less reasonable and more of an asshole if that's what gets results.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Yup I'm being redirected to OpenDNS for Firefox searches too

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Yup I'm being redirected to OpenDNS for Firefox searches too

It makes no differnce what browser you are using all Eircoms DNS lookups are forwarding to opendns's DNS servers atm.

If opendns cannot resolve the name instead of replying that it doesn't know the answer it replies with 67.215.65.132 which is the IP address of the opendns search page.

Just wonder if Eircom are actually paying opendns for using their service? Individuals can use opendns for free but I think Enterprise customers are supposed to pay and I don't see Eircom on the page listing ISP customers ;)

I phoned Eircon earlier today to complain about my lack of service (since 1am on Friday morning). The "customer service" :rolleyes: agent said that it was a problem with my router. Now, this problem must have coincidentally happened since Eircom shut off the service for maintenance as I've had no problems with it before.

As it looks now, I will have to wait til Monday at the earliest to get the issue resolved.

I'm seriously thinking about ringing a new provider on Monday and changing over. Eircom just seem to be completely incompetant.... even more so than usual!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 PplAreStrange

eigrod wrote: »
    Can't access my Eircom email account either. What a company these guys are. Pathetic.

Lol! actually they have wanted to get rid of mail for a long time but so many business customers use it, they can't!

• Advertisement

Lol! actually they have wanted to get rid of mail for a long time but so many business customers use it, they can't!

Someone needs to remind them what the S in ISP stands for.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Dord wrote: »
    I phoned Eircon earlier today to complain about my lack of service (since 1am on Friday morning). The "customer service" :rolleyes: agent said that it was a problem with my router.

I got that aswell--Theres a new router on the way to me ;)

May aswell take it--Think thats 6 I have sitting in a press upstairs now.Everytime they offer me one I take it:D:D

I bought my own because the netopia routers that Eircom provide are carp!

I have 2 dead one's on the shelf.

Eircom seen to be back to there own DNS servers again.

There's no source information in the DNS data packets so you can't tell where the actual DNS lookup came from so all I can say for sure is that the opendns search screen isn't comming up at the moment as bad requests aren't resolving to 67.215.65.132 anymore.

Edit> Also changed is the TTL on the eircom.net records, yesturday it was set as less than 3 minutes which tends to mean they intended to be making changes and didn't want anyone caching the results for more than 3 minutes now the TTL is back up to the normal 86400seconds (1day). So someone had been busy at Eircom today.

Ive had enough of Eircoms bullplop, who would you say is the best isp in Dublin? Want to change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Ive had enough of Eircoms bullplop, who would you say is the best isp in Dublin? Want to change.
    lol, that's like asking who's the best leech in the swamp. :D

Smart (if they can keep afloat), Magnet or UPC if you can get them, but it's a bad bunch to begin with, there's plenty of horror stories about every ISP if you read through the broadband forum here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 TheMetalComet

my eircom phone line and braodband has been out since the 3rd. has anyone any idea how to fix it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

my eircom phone line and braodband has been out since the 3rd. has anyone any idea how to fix it?

Yep,Get rid of the and get a new ISP......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 TheMetalComet

what happens if i change to open DNS?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Madman08

what happens if i change to open DNS?

Chances are you'll have a better QoS than normal !!! I changed over to openDNS
    the first time this mullarkey occured and never changed it back. As a result I haven't been experiencing the same issues as alot of users here.

My current issue with Eircom is the dreadful speedtest results I'm continually receiving......I play COD4 on PS3 as much as I can (wife permitting LOL)
    but the pings and speeds I'm getting make it practically impossible and
    downright frustrating. Eircon (sic) really are taking the Michael....:mad:

Advertisement