Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Trouble

Options
  • 03-09-2009 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Just a quick question, i bought a car recently, a ford modeo. I bought it at an auction in cork. The auctioneers were dolphinauctions.ie

I did everything through dolphin acutions. I saw the car on the site, called the auctioneers, arranged to meet them, checked out the car, paid them in cash, and got a reciept. Everything was through the auctioneers, i never met the owner.

The car was perfect at first, however a week later i started havin troubles. I had it checked by my garage and had it looked at by the main ford dealer in town. They told me theat it needed a new fuel pump and would cost me 1500e to get it on the road again. After paying 4200e for the car originally i'm disgusted with the thought of having to pay for this.

I'm wondering if theres any course of action ican take to either get my money back or have the auctioeers/original owner help with the cost of repairs. I was not told the car had any problems before i bought it.

Hope you guys can help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

afaik(am open to correction) as you purchased the vehicle at an auction you have no redress in this case, you bought the car as seen and without warrenty and as long as it was safe to drive there is nothing you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

As far as I know Foggy is 100% correct.. All cars at auction are sold as seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭manta356

Caveat emptor (buyer beware) i'm afraid:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,515 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

1500 for pump for Ford, hmm

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Skidmcmarx

Thanks for the replies guys, i was really hoping that wasnt the case. Guess i was caught.

TheDriver wrote: »
    1500 for pump for Ford, hmm

Is 1500e expensive?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Go to an independant garage and you should be able to get it fixed up for a lot less.

I have just checked up ebay, and you can pick up a used one for anywhere between 25 quid and 135 quid.

Get advice from someone else. An official Ford garage will be way to expensive to use.

There must be something else to it. Is it a diesel. I do know "common fuel rail" is known to give trouble and is expensive to fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Go to an independant garage and you should be able to get it fixed up for a lot less.

I have just checked up ebay, and you can pick up a used one for anywhere between 25 quid and 135 quid.

Get advice from someone else. An official Ford garage will be way to expensive to use.

There must be something else to it. Is it a diesel. I do know "common fuel rail" is known to give trouble and is expensive to fix.

Just to reiterate superscouse's post. €25-135 or £25-135 might get you a fuel pump for a petrol car but €1500 sounds like an injector pump on diesel car. Diesel injector pumps in general are expensive and take time to fit so €1500 doesn't seem too excessive.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's "caveat emptor" at auctions. Items are bought as seen. Unfortunately you have no redress. It's something that you have to balance with the potential savings when bidding at auction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I got a fuel pump for a mondeo about a year and a half ago and I can guarantee I did not pay more than 300 for it. It was done through a friend so it was cheap, if memory serves me it was around 160 but I could have that confused as I needed an alternator at the same time. Generally I get cars fixed around 60% the cost, 1500 is way way out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

This thread should be less about the dangers of buying from an auction, and more about getting completely screwed in a garage. €1500 for a fuel pump, what was it made from, gold?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Skidmcmarx

Thanks for all the replies guys,

Well i was initially quoted 1500e for the repair. It is actually is a turbo diesal therefore is going to cost much more than it would if it were petrol. The initial quote i was given was worst case scenario.

As it stands at the minute its going to cost a total of 650e for the repairs. A HUGE relief i have to say. It might seem like 1500e was a lot but i've been informed that a problem with the fuel pump in a diesal can cost that much to repair in worst case scenarios. The mechanic ive brought it to is an old family friend and i have no worrys about being screwed by him.

From checking the internet and asking around, it seems that this price is average enough given the repairs needed.

Thank you all for your replies. I guess its lesson learned for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Don't just take the quote from one garage, try a few. Prices can vary wildly at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,515 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I must say, and please don't take this the wrong way but auctions are not a place for anyone to buy a car from if you had to go to a main dealer and were willing to pay top overcharged price for fixing items, it is totally buyer beware and you must be prepared for repairs with no warranty and no comeback at all. Presume you know this before the auction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 ottobock

I always got good service from Whelans The Heath Portlaoise car dismantlers They operate a very professional service tel 057 8646663

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

did you buy it online? if so the distance regulations applies and you have the right to get a refund within 14 days and if you haven't been informed about that it stretches to 30day afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Skidmcmarx wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies guys,

Well i was initially quoted 1500e for the repair. It is actually is a turbo diesal therefore is going to cost much more than it would if it were petrol. The initial quote i was given was worst case scenario.

Man seriously expensive, mine was a 2l tdi zetec even 650 sounds over the top to me compared to mine!

Advertisement