Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The only decent thing left to do

Options
  • 03-09-2009 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

In light of the recent opinion polls and with so many very important issues to be decided upon in the near future, IMO the only decent thing that Brian Cowen could do, is step down, desolve his governement and ask for new elections.

Here's why:

The Lisbon vote is too important to be allowed to become a protest vote ...by the time the people go to the ballots on that, the date for the next general election should already be set (probably not enough time to do both on the same date)

NAMA (if indeed NAMA is the solution) will only have the confidence of the international finance industry if it is backed and executed by a strong governement and not in any danger of being reversed/toppled in weeks to come

By the time the next budget will be announced ....and it will be a stinker of a budget whoever has to announce it...those announcing it will need to have the backing of the people or the will be riots n the streets (or the budget will be so limp they might as well not have bothered)

Opinons?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

In the interest of the state and of future generations , as well as how Europe perceives us and in light of today’s poll, yes, it would be an honourable and sensible thing to do.

However, this is FF we are dealing with, so unless it’s suits the Gombeen men it will never happen.

Our only hope is that Cowen falls off a Bar stool and never recovers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

My opinion is that FF are going to do whatever the hell they want to do and ignore us yet again completely.
    We to them, are sheep to be herded and nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

He will not do any of that! There is so many cut backs required that he figures he is fooked anyway so he will stay and introduce them. At least he can leave it to the opposition to tidy the mess. My money is on Dermot ahern being leader next year. Biffo will of had enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Dermot Ahern of blasphemy law fame? No thanks :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I think Cowan is the wrong man to lead FF at this stage
    1. He carries too much of the FF baggage. He was the Minister For Finance during the period of economic ruin. As the man who it at the head of the chain that includes the Central Bank and IFSRA, he should not seek a Ministerial position again.
    2. The man is not a bad orator, he is a terrible orator. There is no conviction from any speech he makes, same old head down reading from notes. No passion at all about his position. He is not a true leader.
    3. He appointed his second in command because of their friendship and their communal love of the pint. He should be handing out the Ministerial position on the basis of talent, not on who his friends are.
    4. <mod snip>
    Fianna Fail should change leader, BUT a general election is NOT what it is needed.
    1. It will lead further to the impression that the country is unstable, and will probably to our interest rates for our loans being increased.
    2. The Irish taxpayer will have to pay for the thing.
    3. What positive result could come of an election. The opposition would not be any better, and the whole process of handing over Ministeries etc etc would cause further time to be wasted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I want nothing less than for Dermot Ahern to be elevated. Unless of course there are overhead power cables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

4. <mod snip>

Can anyone back this up?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

Can anyone back this up?

No of course not, it's just more of the usual unsubstantiated sh1t that people
    think they can post for kicks.

Back on topic, why should we bother vote in the future when opinion poles can pick a government?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

Rosser wrote: »
    No of course not, it's just more of the usual unsubstantiated sh1t that people
    think they can post for kicks.

Back on topic, why should we bother vote in the future when opinion poles can pick a government?

That's what I thought. Ehm well then it shouldn't really still be here then should it...I've posted far less slanderous things in other fora and they have been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭freewheeler

Fianna Fail should change leader, BUT a general election is NOT what it is needed.
    1. It will lead further to the impression that the country is unstable, and will probably to our interest rates for our loans being increased.
    2. The Irish taxpayer will have to pay for the thing.
    3. What positive result could come of an election. The opposition would not be any better, and the whole process of handing over Ministeries etc etc would cause further time to be wasted.

I would disagree completely...we need to get rid of these corrupt buffoons asap if our country is to have any chance of recovery..it has been proved time and again where this shower's priorities lie..and it certainly isn't with normal working class people...this has always been the case with them..no matter who their leader was..Irish people need to wake up..and soon..its inconceivable to me that anyone could still vote for this crowd after the strokes that they've pulled over the last couple of years in particular:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

peasant wrote: »
    In light of the recent opinion polls and with so many very important issues to be decided upon in the near future, IMO the only decent thing that Brian Cowen could do, is step down, desolve his governement and ask for new elections.
    FF don't do decency!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

Can anyone back this up?

No, but his pitiful performance as leader of FF, his notable absence from all major developments during the summer, his general disposition as the economy becomes the laughing stock of the developed world, would lead the average voter to ask “ Have you been drinking sir?”

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I've edited out what looks to me like blatantly defamatory allegations. JohnathonAnon, if you want to get a website sued, set up your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

peasant wrote: »

Here's why:

The Lisbon vote is too important to be allowed to become a protest vote ...by the time the people go to the ballots on that, the date for the next general election should already be set (probably not enough time to do both on the same date)

NAMA (if indeed NAMA is the solution) will only have the confidence of the international finance industry if it is backed and executed by a strong governement and not in any danger of being reversed/toppled in weeks to come

By the time the next budget will be announced ....and it will be a stinker of a budget whoever has to announce it...those announcing it will need to have the backing of the people or the will be riots n the streets (or the budget will be so limp they might as well not have bothered)

Opinons?

Agree with you completely on Lisbon.

Not sure if NAMA is the way to go, highly doubt it actually, but at least whoever wins the election would have a strong mandate to implement a policy to restore the financial system and begin the process for economic recovery. So sort of agree with you there, except I think the one thing that will interest the international finance industry above all is whether the policy being implemented is the correct one.

The budget is important, but not nearly as important as the other two items.

But overall, yes, I would like to see an election being called immediately, I think the government has lost the confidence of the electorate. I think NAMA will be the end of the government, hopefully anyway. There is too much that needs to be changed for it to be dragged on any longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

The only decent thing left to do....

is to appear on the late late show!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Rosser wrote: »

There's opinion polls and opinion polls.
    The last one just confirmed that 83% of the population are dissatisfied with FF and 85% dissatisfied with Brian Cowen ...that's considerably more than 2/3 majority.

A party / party leader with so little support simply has no business running the country any more. Any and all of their decisions and actions will stand on clay feet.

Advertisement