Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

External HDD not being recognised

• 03-09-2009 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

Ive got a Western digital elements 1tb here, when i plugged itinto my machine (XP) it recognised it, searched for drivers which it didnt find and when i reconnected it it wouldnt show up at all. I then tried it on my laptop (vista) with the same result.
    Ive been into the device manager and it isnt showing there, have also tried adding new hardware which didnt work either.
    According to the WD website there arent any drivers as its a plug and play drive.
    Has anyone had a similar problems or a suggestion:) as im thinking the drive is knackered.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭jeffk

St Bruno wrote: »
    Ive got a Western digital elements 1tb here, when i plugged itinto my machine (XP) it recognised it, searched for drivers which it didnt find and when i reconnected it it wouldnt show up at all. I then tried it on my laptop (vista) with the same result.
    Ive been into the device manager and it isnt showing there, have also tried adding new hardware which didnt work either.
    According to the WD website there arent any drivers as its a plug and play drive.
    Has anyone had a similar problems or a suggestion:) as im thinking the drive is knackered.

Its knackered and you need to bring it back to the shop.
    Is that the flat one with the rubber on both ends that you have? If so yes just plug `n` play no messing like some other externals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭caspermccormack

Try a different lead, I have a WD passport 400 gb and will not work with any usb to mini usb cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 St Bruno

Try a different lead, I have a WD passport 400 gb and will not work with any usb to mini usb cable.

Ive tried 2 usb cables with no joy:(

Im assuming its new and if you can bring it back i would.

Theres no need for any messing with these drives, there as basic as it comes for plug it in turn it on and you away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 St Bruno

Its actually belong to one of my mates, think it came from pixmania but should still be under warranty.

• Advertisement

Well id have to say its best to look into it.
    Ive one and as i mentioned on here in a review one of its strong points is it plugs in and your away.No driver searching or making sure its loaded and given a drive letter(mounted i think).

I had a similar problem with a Toshiba drive and malpins took it back. So i assume the website/s wouldn't be any different.

Advertisement