Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stinky stinky pee, please help!

Options
  • 03-09-2009 6:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have searched through the forum before posting this but I need specific answers, because as it stands my entire house smells like pub urinals and I need help!

I have a 9 month old kitten who I got 2 months ago, he is as healthy as can be, neutered, healthy weight, good eater (Royal Canin dry kitten food), drinks an average amount of water, but my God does his pee stink!

He has a covered litter tray with a flap, deep litter, charcoal filter, his poo doesn't smell at all but when he pees the smell never fades, the tray has to be washed out and litter changed to get rid of it.

A lot of the other threads I found were suggesting ways of masking the smell, I've tried different types of litter but it's always the same. I've had other cat in the past and none of them have ever had such strong smelling pee, honestly, the best way to describe it is a men's toilets in a busy pub on a warm day :eek:

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Crafty-Chel

Hiya,

Is your kitten male or female?? As im sure you know that male cats spray and that stinks really badly, so im thinking thats what it could be, but they usually stop spraying after there neutered.. someone told me to wash the area (when my male kitten was spraying all over the place) with washing powder.. dont know if it works but its ment to prevent them from spraying in the same place...

also if your in a quiet place and he can go outside, put in a cat flap n let him do his business outside..

I used to use an expencive cat litter and there was always a horrible smell, it never seemed to soak it up, i now use tesco value cat litter.. no smells at all... and maybe try changing his food, again i use the tesco brand dry food and sometimes a fishy treat like tuna or sardines...

I have four cats, one of witch is a male kitten so thats my advice based on them...

Have you brought your cat to the vet? maybe he has a kidney infection or bladder infection, it mite also cause smells...

Hopefully some of this is helpful and good luck with your puddie.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Hiya Crafty-Chel,

Thanks for your reply. Yeah it's a he, I mentioned that in the original post, I use Tesco litter alright but have tried a good few others, cheap and expensive, always the same godawful smell.

I know that some male cats spray but he doesn't, it's just the pee in the litter tray that smells so bad so washing it with washing powder or bleach etc isn't an option.

I can't put in a cat flap but when he does get out he doesn't even pee outside, from the start he has always loved his litter tray.

Yeah he doesn't have a kidney infection, see? He rules out all possible options! :p This is why I'm finding it so difficult to figure it out :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭dungeon

I would like to get a cat or dog but that is what prevents me from getting one. Couldn't stand odours in the house.

Ah but they're worth it though! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

Does he drink enough? The less he drinks, the more concentrated his urine will be and the more it will smell. It might be worth buying him a cat fountain and switching to a good quality wet cat food, as it's hard to get enough moisture into them on dry.

• Advertisement

How did I not think of a water fountain, thanks! I'll give that a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Spadina, also look into a home-made litter tray similar to a product called Oz Pet cat litter on sale in Australia.

http://www.oz-pet.net.au/

Basically they have a double tray, with an inner 'sieve' tray with small holes in. In the outer tray, you put a handful of litter for soakage, and a tablespoon of baking soda to help mask the odour. In the inner tray, you put the full litter. Pick poos out of the litter often, and the pee trickles through and into the outer tray. You can take out the top tray and rinse the bottom one every day if you want - takes a minute or two, minimal drama, pop the inner tray back into it. Saves you on cat litter and also gets rid of the strong pee smell very quickly.

I know of some individuals who prefer a different size or shape tray to the one Oz-Pet offers, so they've built their own version, by buying for instance two under-bed-storage boxes and drilling holes in the bottom of one of them, then stacking them one inside the other. Doesn't work as brilliantly as the sieve, but still works.

I also +1 to the dry food and lack of moisture and the water fountain as a solution. Try also introducing some raw food into his diet to boost his moisture intake.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

You don't say if he is neutered - or did I miss that?

Without doubt, the smell from the pee of an intact male cat is overwhelming - I should know after one peed in my car on the way home from the vet!! :rolleyes:

At 9 months your guy is sexually mature so will have all the male cat hormones which make his pee smell. You would be doing him a favour to neuter him as it will make him less likely to wander - and will stop his pee smelling so strongly.

Also about the food - kitten food has higher protein and fat content (the protein could affect the pee smell too, now that I think of it) so your guy may be ready for an adult cat food now - I found my male cat started to put on weight after 5 months of age when on the kitten food - especially after he was neutered.

MsFifers, yeah he's neutered, mentioned that in the first post. He'll be on kitten food for another few weeks, I got him a 15kg bag 2months ago so when that runs out it's onto adult food methinks.

The Sweeper, thanks for that, that litter tray looks good alright, it's so annoying that his current one doesn't diminish the smell, I purposely bought an enclosed one (and paid enough for it!) and it doesn't make a blind bit of difference :confused:

Advertisement