Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIPTU call for Yes vote on Lisbon

Options
  • 03-09-2009 8:32pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0903/eulisbon.html
    The country's largest trade union, SIPTU, has come out in support of the Lisbon Treaty, although it still has a number of reservations about it.

In a detailed statement published on its website, the union said it ratification of Lisbon would not make matters worse for workers, and has the potential to improve them.

Therefore, it says, the balance of advantage for working people and their families rests with ratification of the Treaty.

During the first Lisbon referendum, SIPTU did not endorse the Treaty, a position which was seen as very influential on the result.

The Union statement said it would not be sharing platforms with representatives of the Government parties, as their agenda was not the same as SIPTU's on workers' rights.

Not quite ringing endorcement but I think it is a fair recognition of the positive aspects of the Lisbon Treaty, with regard to social rights. And a recognition that some of the issues that are of real concern to Unions such as the Services, Posting of Workers Directive are unrelated to Lisbon despite effort by other campaigns others to link the two.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 summer09

marco_polo wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0903/eulisbon.html

Not quite ringing endorcement but I think it is a fair recognition of the positive aspects of the Lisbon Treaty, with regard to social rights. And a recognition that some of the issues that are of real concern to Unions such as the Services, Posting of Workers Directive are unrelated to Lisbon despite effort by other campaigns others to link the two.

If they still have some reservations, what the hell are they asking people to vote yes for.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

summer09 wrote: »
    If they still have some reservations, what the hell are they asking people to vote yes for.

Because there were somethings that they wanted that are not included mainly a Social Progress Protocol, nothing they find overtly objectional in there and but plenty of other positives in the treaty especially with regard to the COFR.
    I believe the expression is not throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

summer09 wrote: »
    Because it's possible to have reservations about something, and still think on balance that it's a good thing.

If I won a prize of a million euro but could only claim it on condition that I went public about having won it, I'd have reservations. But I'd still claim my million lids.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Jaysus, they sound pissed of over the pension levy and the partnership talks, but great to see they can take a balanced approach to not get one up on FF.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

I've seen Ryanair's ad in one of the daily tabloids (The Sun I think) calling to "Vote YES to Europe".

• Advertisement
Advertisement