Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannot Find SSID

Options
  • 03-09-2009 9:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭

If you turn off the SSID on a wireless router can you still connect to the router wirelessly?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Ivy Mike

mehmeh12 wrote: »
    If you turn off the SSID on a wireless router can you still connect to the router wirelessly?

Yes you can.

When it's turned off. If you scan for it, the device/computer your scanning from should ask you for the hidden SSID. Just type it in, then the key/pass and your sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If it's a network you've already connected to before, it should be in your wireless networks list, even though the SSID is off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

Ok i told my router to hide the SSID and i told windows to connect to the wireless signal even if it is not broadcasting. Can intruders still see my SSID and the network im on? when i use windows to find wireless networks i can still see my own network..why is this? i thought the SSID was suppose to be hidden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

mehmeh12 wrote: »
    when i use windows to find wireless networks i can still see my own network..why is this? i thought the SSID was suppose to be hidden.

Probably because your computer already knows it's there. If you scan from a computer that hasn't connected to your router previously, it won't see it.

Change your encryption to WPA2 from WEP, if you haven't already, is about all you really need to do. That will be enough to deter pretty much everyone but the most determined.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭musicmonky

Can intruders still see my SSID and the network im on?

yes. its trival to get with lots of black hat apps online.
    The wireless router broadcasts to everyone, its easy sniffed out.

Hiding the SSID creates a inconvenience thats not needed.
    Just make sure you have WPA2 and a very long password.

• Advertisement

musicmonky wrote: »
    Can intruders still see my SSID and the network im on?

yes. its trival to get with lots of black hat apps online.
    The wireless router broadcasts to everyone, its easy sniffed out.

Hiding the SSID creates a inconvenience thats not needed.
    Just make sure you have WPA2 and a very long password.

Ok i think i have WPA 2 PSK on with a long random password..if someone does manage to get into my wireless network how will i know?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Your bandwidth will be shared out, and you'll notice a drop in speed. If an intruder downloads a lot, you'll notice your usage rates have gone up.

To check for intruders, should you feel someone unauthorized is using your network, go into your router's web interface and look at the connected wireless devices.

Your router may be able to use a MAC address filter to only allow your own PC's MAC address or a MAC address from other authorized PC's in your home. That's added security right there. Unless someone is extremely knowledgeable and quite desperate, they won't be able to connect. It'll be almost impossible! Think about it, though. Some asshole sitting on your garden wall downloading movies onto his/her laptop. That doesn't happen every day.

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Your bandwidth will be shared out, and you'll notice a drop in speed. If an intruder downloads a lot, you'll notice your usage rates have gone up.

To check for intruders, should you feel someone unauthorized is using your network, go into your router's web interface and look at the connected wireless devices.

Your router may be able to use a MAC address filter to only allow your own PC's MAC address or a MAC address from other authorized PC's in your home. That's added security right there. Unless someone is extremely knowledgeable and quite desperate, they won't be able to connect. It'll be almost impossible! Think about it, though. Some asshole sitting on your garden wall downloading movies onto his/her laptop. That doesn't happen every day.

yes my router has the MAC filtering enabled-only my 2 laptops are allowed access to the router, all other devices are supposed to be blocked. If a hacker does get into my network via the wireless will their device be listed in the router's web interface? could the hacker not stop this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

I guess it might be possible. I don't know.

Can someone plant and detonate a nuclear bomb on your front doorstep? That's possible, too.

You're protected more than the average user. You'll be fine. You're not trying to implement security on a corporate network. For a home network, what you have already is nearing overkill.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

moved to wireless

• Advertisement

Ok i now have my SSID set to broadcast :mad: although doing this i only get one signal from my modem and this signal uses WPA2 AES security. Is my computer safe?

Advertisement