Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what should i use to worm my chickens ?

Options
  • 03-09-2009 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

There are a couple of options. You can use Parazole, which is a quite gentle, liquid wormer tht you can buy in pet shops, etc. Difficult to get it into chickens though.

Most chicken keepers use Flubenvet - comes in a powder that you mix with their feed and feed for a week. Quite effective, only treats for worms. No withdrawal period for eggs.

http://www.petvetcare.co.uk/acatalog/info_1_1556.html

Other alternative is to use an ivermectin based product. Thes will treat both internal & external parasites (lice, mites, etc). But dosage is the key & ivermectin is used for a wide range of animals, so you would need to use the correct product at the correct dosage & observe the withdrawal period in relation to eggs, meat, etc. Can be quite nasty stuff & can affect some animals badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭super_metroid

how often should i worm them?

At least once every 6 months. Preferably every 3-4 months. Depends a lot on whether the chickens are kept continuously on same area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 smudge09

Used as a top dressing, monthly, no withdrawl period for eggs (organic); I got from UK; can also get in liquid form.

However, not sure how effective - anyone else used it?

smudge09 wrote: »
    Used as a top dressing, monthly, no withdrawl period for eggs (organic); I got from UK; can also get in liquid form.

However, not sure how effective - anyone else used it?

I forgot about Verm-X. Never used it myself either, so would also be interested in feedback from other users.

• Advertisement
Advertisement