Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Epilepsy & Driving

Options
  • 03-09-2009 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

I've had Epilepsy for most of my adult life and have never held a driving license as a result. However I have had my meds changed (a year or so ago) and I have remained completely seizure free since.

Now I want to learn to drive & ultimately get a licence. Does anyone know how long you need to be seizure free before you can apply?

Also do the insurance companies put a 'loading' onto the motor policy?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

(2)
    In the case of an applicant for a licence to drive a vehicle of any category who suffers, or has suffered in the past, from epilepsy, fitness to drive
    (a)
    may be certified for a limited period in relation to vehicles of category A1, A, B, EB, M or W, where the applicant
    o
    has not suffered any epileptic attack during the 12 month period preceding the date of medical examination,
    o
    has only had nocturnal seizures over a period of 2 years preceding the date of medical examination, and certification is by a consultant neurologist,
    o
    has only had a single provoked seizure and such seizure was prior to the 6 month period preceding the date of medical examination, and certification is by a consultant neurologist, or
    o
    has only had simple partial seizures where awareness is fully maintained at all times, and certification is by a consultant neurologist and
    (b)
    shall not be certified in relation to vehicles of category CI, C, D1, D, ECI, EC,ED1, or ED.

from http://www.rsa.ie/SERVICES/upload/File/Licensing/Medical%20%20Aspects.pdf

I would assume insurance companies may put a 'load' onto the motor policy but perhaps there are conditions like with the license

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭KiLLeR CoUCh

It varies with your Epilespy and what your consultant says. I think the law is you can drive six months after a provoked seizure and a year after being seizure free otherwise. You should also get a letter from your consultant saying it's a-ok for you to be behind the wheel.

As for insurance they can load your policy and it's not exactly the type of information you can withold from them. I've never done this myself but apparently a good thing to do is call an insurance company up for a quote and when you get it, then tell them you have epilepsy. At least that way you'll know how much you're being loaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭pops

Thanks a million for that star-pants that's exactly what I was looking for.

I would prefer the insurance co. knew about the epilepsy just to make sure I was covered, so I guess it won't make a huge difference whether it's loaded or not.

Now I've just got to get myself a driving test!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I am not aware of any loading by insurence companies. Mind you i havce not checked but have never been asked the question. Suely if the doctor deems you fit it would be prejudicial of the insurence company to load you?

I totally agree, but my life insurance company put a loading on my policy because of (very mild & totally controlled) epilepsy, so I imagine the motor insurance will be the same... Bummer!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

AFAIK if you have epilepsy you are obligued to tell the insurance company. If you have an accident that might be related to a fit, you're not covered.

That's what I thought too starpants - thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

My dad has epilepsy and when I was sixteen, he was driving me to school one morning when he had a seizure. I somehow managed to stop the car so an accident was avoided but it was very frightening all the same.

He has had a car accident since as a result of his illness which was quite serious but thankfully, recovered and has been seizure free since. He is most definitely still insured to drive as really, in the 30 odd years he's had epilepsy and been driving, he has had two seizures behind the wheel.

Both of these were coming up to his 12 monthly check up and his medication is usually changed at these. He now has check up's more frequently and seems to be in much better health, not suffering from as many seizures as he did when I was younger.

Overall, I'd say it depends on the seriousness of your condition, how many seizures you have per year, that kind of thing. I am sure it's not true that you won't be insured if you do happen to have a seizure whilst driving because my dads insurance company are very understanding when it comes to this matter and his premium isn't even all that high.

Best of luck anyway, hope learning to drive goes well for you and continued good health :)

Advertisement