Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Angelus

Options
  • 03-09-2009 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Does it really irk anyone else that the angelus plays at 6pm on a terrestrial channel? Still? In this current day?

What also irritates me about said Angelus (sp?) is the fact that they've made it extra multicultural. I'm all for multicultural, but not when you're saying 'yes, Ireland is multicultural now, but at least we're all Catholic'.

I think it's just a blatant demonstration of the fact that our church and state are inseperable. I'm unsure about my thoughts on other people being religious (I don't know how worthwhile it is trying to convince someone there probably isn't a god) but I'm very much convinced that religion should have absolutely no consequence outside of personal belief.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Yep, its a bit stupid that a state like Ireland gives one religion free publicity like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Galvasean wrote: »
    Yep, its a bit stupid that a state like Ireland gives one religion free publicity like that.

I'm sure if we brought it up with the government we'd be told it is constitutionally mandated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

The Angelus debate always ends up the same

Atheist (ie me) - RTE should get rid of the angelus, it is anti-secular and belongs in the past
    Christian - You atheist get so worked up about this stuff. What is the harm with keeping it
    Atheist - Well, I like I just said it is the state broadcaster promoting one particular religion's practice
    Christian - Oh, there you go again getting so worked up about it, you fundamentalist atheist are all the same
    Atheist - Er, I'm not getting worked up about it, I am simply putting the idea that it should be got rid of out there
    Christian - I find it so laughable you get so worked up about a religion you don't even believe in. You want to push fundamentalist atheism on all of us
    Atheist - Er, do you actually mind if we got rid of the Angelus?
    Christian - YOU WILL OVER MY FREAKING DEAD BODY!!!!!

Any time someone suggests (often quite calmly) that the Angelus be gotten rid of they are met with charges that they are getting worked up over nothing (what is the harm of it) by people who tend to get really worked up over the idea that it be got rid of. It can be quite amusing to watch :)

It is not a "big deal" to keep it but neither is it a big deal to get rid of it, so why don't we just get rid of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭ANTIFA!

in fairness it doesn't really matter. in principal i would get rid of it but who cares? the new generation of Irish would hardly know about it, cause most aren't listening to drive time or rte one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Galvasean wrote: »
    If RTE gave one minute to the Flying Spaghetti Monster every day, then I'd be happy to leave the angelus where it is.

Live and let live, eh?

• Advertisement

robindch wrote: »
    If RTE gave one minute to the Flying Spaghetti Monster every day, then I'd be happy to leave the angelus where it is.

Live and let live, eh?

If you and the Catholics get a minute for your *ahem* faith, I demand to see at least a minute of Yoda imparting wisdom every day too! ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I demand to see at least a minute of Yoda imparting wisdom every day too!
    Why not. Any reason. See. I don't.

<burbling sounds>

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I want a more varied sound from it. How about Scentless Apprentice in bell form?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

BONNNNGGG!

BONNNNGGG!

BONNNNGGG!

BONNNNGGG!

BONNNNGGG!

Get that shit off my TV please.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

At least the call to prayer has some musical quality to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

Ah there's a silver lining to every cloud though. I get a good laugh out of trying to guess when it will actually end.

BONGGGGGGGGGGG!

ok it's gonna end on the next one!

BONGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!

Feck! Ok this one is definitely the la...BONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!

Jesus! ok, €20 that this is the last one.....

BIONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

Who watches RTE anyways? I really don't care if they show it. Leave em off. Just flick over to another channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

It is a bit silly all right. As a kid I used to wreck my (very catholic) grandmother's head by "saying" the angelus every so often by just shouting out "booonnngggg".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

robindch wrote: »
    Why not. Any reason. See. I don't.

<burbling sounds>
    That has got to be the worst Yoda impression I've ever read. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

The one time I did find it nauseating was when RTE radio 1 had just done an indepth feature into the Ryan report, and the details of the rape and enslavement that had gone on, hauling senior clerics up to answer for the actions of their colleagues, going into detail on the abuse committed, all the profound horror of the Catholic gulags. Then, at 6.00 Mary Wilson stopped and said, inevitably..."And now we pause for the Angelus". I nearly threw something at the radio.

I don't think that it's an enormous issue, but it is one brick in the Church-state wall that needs to be taken down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

I love during the Angelus debates, after the arguments Wick outlined above, they claim that's it not religious but merely a time for reflection each day. But only at times that correspond with the Catholic call to prayer.

Obviously.

But it's still not religious :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Antbert wrote: »
    Does it really irk anyone else that the angelus plays at 6pm on a terrestrial channel? Still? In this current day?

Not particularly. I don't feel it is necessary, but I understand the reasoning behind the RTÉ putting it on.
    What also irritates me about said Angelus (sp?) is the fact that they've made it extra multicultural. I'm all for multicultural, but not when you're saying 'yes, Ireland is multicultural now, but at least we're all Catholic'.

We all know that we aren't all Catholic. We don't need extra affirmation by taking down the Angelus?
    I think it's just a blatant demonstration of the fact that our church and state are inseperable. I'm unsure about my thoughts on other people being religious (I don't know how worthwhile it is trying to convince someone there probably isn't a god) but I'm very much convinced that religion should have absolutely no consequence outside of personal belief.

Perhaps the State should just sell off RTÉ, then they will be able to broadcast whatever they want.

As for religion not having any consequences out of personal belief, that's quite frankly impossible. It's mere existence has an impact on society whether people like it or not. I personally disagree with the notion of religion being a private matter, because it really can't be.

Perhaps we should follow the Norwegian way

Muslims in the Norwegian capital Oslo have for the first time been granted the right to broadcast calls to prayer, a daily tradition in much of the Islamic world.
    Six months ago the World Islamic Mission applied to the city's authorities to allow a mosque in the old town - Gamle Oslo - to call the faithful to prayer through loudspeakers.

Now the permission has been granted, on the condition that the calls - or azzan - are no louder than 60 decibels, roughly the level of normal conversation.
    And at the same time the Norwegian Heathen Society - which claims there is no God - was also granted the right to broadcast its calls from a rooftop once a week, including the call: "God does not exist."

(From 2000)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

I really want to bitch and moan about this, but then I love listening to the muslim call to prayer whenever (often) I'm in that part of the world. So I'll just shut up lest I be seen as hypocritical.

I just change the channel (the once in a blue moon I am actually watching RTE) if it comes on.

Dades wrote: »
    That has got to be the worst Yoda impression I've ever read. :p

I don't disagree....:pac:

• Advertisement

Mena wrote: »
    I really want to bitch and moan about this, but then I love listening to the muslim call to prayer whenever (often) I'm in that part of the world. So I'll just shut up lest I be seen as hypocritical.

I just change the channel (the once in a blue moon I am actually watching RTE) if it comes on.

You aren't paying 110+ euro a year to Muslims so they can have theirs! Hardly hypocritical. Plus the Muslims ones sound better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I, atheist, have no problem with the Angelus. I actually kinda like it.

It gives you a chance to catch the BBC headlines before switching over to news. Also I like the name 6,1 news as opposed to 6 news (I admit this is a bit of a silly reason but i like it anyway)

And really i have no problem, it doesn't harm anyone. At the end of the day if you don't know what it is it is meaningless, its not going to turn people into crazy catholics or anything.

I know its the state broadcasing channel, but according to CSO majority are still Catholic so why shouldn't it cater to the majority.

Also just to pick up, 'no one watches RTE' the angelus proceeds what is the best Irish news broadcast available, so i think you are a bit off with that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

cruizer101 wrote: »
    I know its the state broadcasing channel, but according to CSO majority are still Catholic so why shouldn't it cater to the majority.

Because I am no less Irish than an Irish Catholic and I don't want my Public Service Broadcaster to favour any of the varied religions, cults and wacky fads present in our country. Perhaps you've not noticed but one of the founding principles of modern democracy is Church-State separation. Favouring one religion over others, or none, is an extremely dangerous thing to do, that's why it's not supposed to be done. We've seen how dangerous that is throughout history.

Honestly I am embarrassed by our constitution and some of our laws. Its all very well and good to make fun of the US for being the home of Creationism, but at least their constitution manages to grasp these concepts, unlike our backward little island, still struggling to get over the notion that the Pope is relevant.

Let's not forget to mention that the Americans got their sh!t straight 222 years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Overblood wrote: »
    Ah there's a silver lining to every cloud though. I get a good laugh out of trying to guess when it will actually end.

BONGGGGGGGGGGG!

ok it's gonna end on the next one!

BONGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!

Feck! Ok this one is definitely the la...BONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!

Jesus! ok, €20 that this is the last one.....

BIONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!

It's in groups of three with the last one longer - that's why it fools you.

I'm pretty sure it's six groups of three. Amaze your friends!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

It's the noise that does my head in. Couldn't care less about the reason behind it. It's just the fecking noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

It's the noise that does my head in. Couldn't care less about the reason behind it. It's just the fecking noise.

When yer wan on Drive time says "and now we'll pause for the angelus", I'm like: "ah no lets carry on" and then change over to the right Hook where I should have been in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

The Angelus is such an easy (and frankly pointless) target. It is less than one-third the length of the average commercial break. Seven minutes per week, featuring the ringing of a bell on television is something that no supposedly rational person should get ever upset or 'irked' about. It's not even all that religious - they ditched the religious imagery from it years ago. Just like the God-botherers who whine and protest about blasphemy on TV, Dawkins-botherers do themselves a massive disservice when they object to something so innocuous as the Angelus.

• Advertisement

...they claim that's it not religious...

What do I win?

Advertisement