Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Angelus

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

An excerpt from the Indo on Feb 14th - what it doesnt mention is that the Angelus is RTEs only piece of original programming and you FD want to ban it :rolleyes:
    It happens nowhere else. In Italy the state broadcaster does not broadcast it. Vatican television broadcasts it on Sundays and feast days. Poland, deeply Catholic, has no Angelus on its three state-owned television stations. One Polish Catholic television broadcaster, 'Puls', which has religious programmes, does not broadcast the Angelus. In Portugal, the Angelus is broadcast once each day on Radio Renascenca, a Catholic-funded broadcaster. The state broadcasters in Spain and Portugal do not broadcast the Angelus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

CDfm wrote: »
    An excerpt from the Indo on Feb 14th - what it doesnt mention is that the Angelus is RTEs only piece of original programming and you FD want to ban it :rolleyes:
    I wonder do any islamic countries broadcast their call to prayer on national television stations...

Slugs wrote: »
    I wonder do any islamic countries broadcast their call to prayer on national television stations...

Saudi Arabia does and has lots of religious broadcasting. Other religions are banned.

Banned as in not allowed to practice, or banned from expression in public places?

Banned as in not allowed to practice
    That one.

For example,the crime of apostacy converting from Islam to another religion is punishable by death.A non -muslim cannot be a citizen.

• Advertisement

Bah, fools, but that is a completely different circumstance. Although Ireland is traditionally catholic, and makes a special mention of it's catholic roots in the constitution, it tries to remain sympathetic to all religions, and while back in the 30's that was all well and good, this is the 21st century, it is time to develop ideas. And the first would be to get rid of all this nonsense of allegiance to religion. ESPECIALLY given the results of Roman Catholicisms influence on this country.

In the UK a Catholic can't be monarch or anyone in line for the throne can marry someone of any religion even a satanist but if they marry a catholic or become catholic themselves they loose their place in line to the throne. Should that make Britain a laughing stock?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭KaiserMc

Banned as in not allowed to practice, or banned from expression in public places?

The Saudis are the money men behind the building of mosques in much of Europe.
    An example of their attitude towards other religions follows..they wanted to build a large mosque in the center of 'Stockholm' and sought permission from the Swedish government to do so ,the Swedish government replied 'if you let us build a Church in Riyadh' you may build a mosque in Stockholm..they never heard back from them.

In the UK a Catholic can't be monarch or anyone in line for the throne can marry someone of any religion even a satanist but if they marry a catholic or become catholic themselves they loose their place in line to the throne. Should that make Britain a laughing stock?
    In what sense would it make them a laughing stock? Throughout history, catholics have been treated very harshly in the UK, Ireland and Scotland in particular. And given the fact that the majority of kings and queens in England have been Protestant or Anglican, that is not likely to change anytime soon.

In what sense would it make them a laughing stock? Throughout history, catholics have been treated very harshly in the UK, Ireland and Scotland in particular. And given the fact that the majority of kings and queens in England have been Protestant or Anglican, that is not likely to change anytime soon.

But there were lots of anti-catholic legislation world-wide. When JFK was elected as US President in 1960 it was shocking in some sectors in the US to have a Catholic President.

They were not the only ones http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Catholicism

So you could say at the time the Angelus came in it was a type of positive discrimination. In the UK if I am not mistaken the bishops still sit in the House of Lords -though the Heriditary Peers are gone but not the Lords Spiritual.

Are they laughed at?

• Advertisement

But there were lots of anti-catholic legislation world-wide. When JFK was elected as US President in 1960 it was shocking in some sectors in the US to have a Catholic President.

They were not the only ones http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Catholicism

So you could say at the time the Angelus came in it was a type of positive discrimination. In the UK if I am not mistaken the bishops still sit in the House of Lords -though the Heriditary Peers are gone but not the Lords Spiritual.

Are they laughed at?
    I'm not getting your point... You haven't explained why they would be laughed at...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Willful ignorance, CD. That's all you are doing. Being willfully ignorant. I'm tired of it. Stop wasting my time with this rubbish.

Willful ignorance, CD. That's all you are doing. Being willfully ignorant. I'm tired of it. Stop wasting my time with this rubbish.
    I'm not getting your point... You haven't explained why they would be laughed at...

FD that was me being facetious.

I am just challenging those who say that the Angelus makes us look foolish worldwide or peculiar.

I have no problem in putting evidence up there showing that from a broadcasting perspective the Angelus is fairly uniquely Irish. That it makes us any worse than others nation in terms of bias or preferential treatment -probably not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

The existence of the royal family makes Britain a laughing stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Does the existence of a royal family in Spain, Belguim, and the Netherlands make them laughing stocks?
    In the UK if I am not mistaken the bishops still sit in the House of Lords -though the Heriditary Peers are gone but not the Lords Spiritual.

Yes, this is correct. Anglican bishops have the option to sit in the Lords as do some former Anglican bishops. The Chief Rabbi currently has a seat in the Lords also as a life peer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Jakkass wrote: »
    Does the existence of a royal family in Spain, Belguim, and the Netherlands make them laughing stocks.

No. But only because Spain is warm and sunny, Belgium having nice chocolate and beer, and the Netherlands having pretty windmills and clogs. If it wasn't for these factors, we'd have no choice but to add them to the laughing stock.

To CDfm, if you can find the post where I said Ireland is a laughing stock because of the Angelus I would be interested in reading it. I am concerned about upholding our constitution and not being a bigot. That's all.

To CDfm, if you can find the post where I said Ireland is a laughing stock because of the Angelus I would be interested in reading it. I am interested in upholding our constitution and not being a bigot. That's all.

I didnt mean to imply you said it and enjoy your posts and don't think you are a bigot. I post replies to you because its fun and easy banter and a nice discussion.:)

That is still not answering the question. You're claiming that these things make the british government a laugh stocking. You're saying that the Angelus is making us a laughing stock. I don't remember ANYONE on here beside you make that point. So where did you get the idea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

It's a bit naff to still have it on TV, but feck it. Who watches Poverty 1 anyway?

Morbert wrote: »
    It's a bit naff to still have it on TV, but feck it. Who watches Poverty 1 anyway?
    People who watch the Rté News... Why else would you watch it? :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Belgium having nice chocolate and beer, and the Netherlands having pretty windmills and clogs. If it wasn't for these factors, we'd have no choice but to add them to the laughing stock.

To quote Colin Farrell (Ray in 'In Bruges') "What is Belgium known for? Chocolate and child abuse: and they only invented chocolate to get at the kids."

Angelus 1 Atheists 0

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

whats with the new angelus - it's getting worse

its to commemorate religion so leave it at that

dont need sound effects of an ould lad feeding the ducks!

dont need sound effects of an ould lad feeding the ducks!

LOL I can't watch it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

LOL I can't watch it :D

It's too much... they've ruined it on you! It should show pictures of a man being executed... just to make it clear that it's a Christian (well Catholic) thing and not some sort of duck worshiping cult thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

All hail Daffy

Daffy_hmph.gif

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Sorted that image for you. Not sure why!

Dades wrote: »
    Sorted that image for you. Not sure why!

Walt Disney was religious - spooky eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Don't need to. The Muezzin makes sure everyone hears the call to prayer.

At least we can switch off!

• Advertisement

Don't need to. The Muezzin makes sure everyone hears the call to prayer.

At least we can switch off!

And they do - starting at sunrise on loudspeaker for half an hour

Advertisement