Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Angelus

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

CDfm wrote: »
    Walt Disney was religious - spooky eh?

Warner Brothers, actually. (Sorry, I can't help being pedantic. I'll get my coat :o )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

PDN wrote: »
    Warner Brothers, actually. (Sorry, I can't help being pedantic. I'll get my coat :o )

I thought PDN was a contraction of pedantic:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

The Muezzin makes sure everyone hears the call to prayer.
    In Saudi, I believe that one of the local building regs requires that no building can be built more than 300 meters from a mosque.

And while I was out in Jakarta this time last year, they had the Eid celebrations which had the muezzins chanting the entire koran, via public loudspeaker, from the minarets of every mosque. Not as much fun as it sounds, since there were perhaps twenty mosques within loudspeaker distance of my hotel room, and the koran takes around forty-eight hours to get through, going night and day.

And the bars were closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

robindch wrote: »
    In Saudi, I believe that one of the local building regs requires that no building can be built more than 300 meters from a mosque.

I used to work there and on any normal day it started at sunrise 4.30 am each morning - and 4 or 5 times a day and at sunset for around a half an hour.It was loud.

During prayer time -if you were in a supermarket the lights would dim and the police would enforce and herd people out so the tills etc shut down and the world stopped.Waiters stopped serving.

In the workplace people would get out their prayer mats and bow towards Mecca.

Advertisement