Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Angelus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

For the moment I'd settle for a tuneful hymn, Gregorian chant, Bach, Mozart's requiem. Anything but that repetitious noise! (Not 'faith of our fathers' obviously)

While I personally think that would be an immense improvement, at least the Angelus-makers can pretend that the Angelus is multi-denominational. With a little Gregorian chant before the news, we'd have maybe six weeks with that minute of beauty, and then a daily six o'clock news report.
    Here is a subset of the "public interest tests" that RTÉ has set for itself which I think are failed by the inclusion of the angelus in the schedule:
    • Fairness
    • Accuracy
    • Impartiality
    • Objectivity
    • Independence from vested interests and freedom from political control or influence
    • Schedules that respect the views of the audience and enhance their cultural expectations
    • Programming that recognises regional interests and cultural diversity
    • Programming that is imaginative and original.

Let's be fair - that isn't the only place they fall down on this list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Here is a subset of the "public interest tests" that RTÉ has set for itself which I think are failed by the inclusion of the angelus in the schedule:

A state broadcaster with independence from vested interests.. Huh? Hows that supposed to work, do they all work for free?

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Antbert

lol, wow, you people all take this a bit serious dont you?

stop getting so worked up over something so trivial, all y'er doing is ranting anyway...
    Do you have anything remotely worthwhile to add?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Antbert wrote: »
    Do you have anything remotely worthwhile to add?

considering it's a barely worthwile thread for flamers?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

If a person is atheist it should be neutral on it.

Many religions have daily prayer rituals and in the middle east the world stops for 20 mins five times a day for prayer time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Why should an athiest be neutral about it?

Religion should be a private matter for each individual person. Having a "religious minute" screaming in our ears on national television when we just want to watch the news is something everyone's entitled to have an opinion on.

Gone are the days when the entire nation believes much the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭shanegj

Correct me if I'm wrong but with the whole blasphemy law being passed doesn't that make the Augelus on RTE against the law as it would be considered blasphemy to other religions.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Yeah it could be...(afraid I don't know whether I can correct you or not :o)

Anyways, I really believe (:eek:) that the time has come for the Angulus to say bye bye, and just have some sort of non denominational reflection period on tv. Right now it's like RTE are saying 'Catholics only please'...

*awaits the riot brigade*

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

shanegj wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but with the whole blasphemy law being passed doesn't that make the Augelus on RTE against the law as it would be considered blasphemy to other religions.
    The angelus could hardly be shown to be intended to cause "outrage" amongst believers of other religions. It hails from a time when as far as anyone was concerned there were no other religions.

And the outrage shown by some people here doesn't really count. :pac:

Why should an athiest be neutral about it?

Religion should be a private matter for each individual person. Having a "religious minute" screaming in our ears on national television when we just want to watch the news is something everyone's entitled to have an opinion on.

I suppose if you think of yourself as an anti-theist you wouldn't.

I cant see why it would have any affect really on your life other than a quaint custom.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Your problem is that hardly any theist will actually agree with you. For people who believe, their beliefs define who they are in a certain way.

I don't see why religion should be a private matter at all. Freedom of speech and expression applies to all issues, including religion.

As for the Angelus, it wouldn't disturb me too much if it was scrapped. To be honest with you, I don't see a problem with it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭gramlab

If you want to nit-pick then it probably should go. But there are much bigger issues out there than a few minutes of this a week.

Sort of works for me in a nostalgic kind of way. Also reminds me that even with our inflated sense of self importance during our "economic boom" we are still just little aul Ireland when it comes to it, with our own peculiar ways.

And still cracks me up when the old lady has her mini stroke in the kitchen. Now if they included pilots, surgeons, bus drivers and the like taking a pause, that would make good viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Shazforgrub

I don't see any problem with the angelus playing before the news, I'm a non-practising catholic but as a country we are catholic in the majority and this should be respected. If you were in a muslim country do you think they would stop the call to prayer in case it offended other religions? Not a chance. I think we need to toughen up a bit in this country, I don't recall the full details but does anyone rember the incident a while back where the crib was removed from a hospital because it might offend people of a different faith? It sickens me that this ****e goes on, because imo it only serves to create tension between people of different faiths. What is the big deal with playing the angelus, or having a crib in a hospital, in a catholic country and how exactly does this offend people??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I don't see any problem with the angelus playing before the news, I'm a non-practising catholic but as a country we are catholic in the majority and this should be respected. If you were in a muslim country do you think they would stop the call to prayer in case it offended other religions? Not a chance. I think we need to toughen up a bit in this country, I don't recall the full details but does anyone rember the incident a while back where the crib was removed from a hospital because it might offend people of a different faith? It sickens me that this ****e goes on, because imo it only serves to create tension between people of different faiths. What is the big deal with playing the angelus, or having a crib in a hospital, in a catholic country and how exactly does this offend people??

You, my friend, have answered your own question really and uncovered the real reason some atheists have a problem with the angelus. We live in a catholic country. Our schools are run by the church, some of our old fashioned morals are from the church (abortion etc.). Hell it's even in our constitution.
    Most, I imagine all, Irish atheists would prefer a religious neutral country. If you personally want to practice your religion in your own home or your church go for it but am I not as Irish as you are? Should my (lack of) beliefs not be catered for by my nation? What harm would it be to separate our church from our state?
    Also, I don't mean to be rude but what exactly is a non-practising catholic? If you really believe in the christian god should you really not be worshipping him and following his strict rules out of fear of eternal damnation? At least I have the comforting thought that I don't believe hell exists. Why would someone that does risk walking down that path?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I don't see any problem with the angelus playing before the news, I'm a non-practising catholic but as a country we are catholic in the majority and this should be respected.

Ireland is a modern democracy. In this democracy there are Catholics, Atheists, Buddhists, Muslims, Protestants and all sorts of other wacky beliefs. We are not a Catholic country, we are a country that happens to currently have a Catholic majority. It'd be sweet if you guys didn't abuse that majority and trample all over minorities.

If you were in a muslim country...

Ahahaha...yeah. Because we should look to the Middle East for guidelines on how to run a successful modern democracy. Or maybe you meant some where else, like Ethiopia? That's also a great idea?

Do you also look to Muslim countries as an example as to how we should run our judicial system? Maybe we should set up a Chop-Chop Square outside Mountjoy.
    I think we need to toughen up a bit in this country

I agree. I'm sick of hearing Catholics all "Wah wah wah my Angelus" or "Boo hoo hoo my manger in a hospital". Get a backbone guys.

A non-practising Catholic; I don't go to church regularly. I still pray from time to time, and I attend mass on the major feast days. I'm not a great catholic at all, but I guess I still am part of the Catholic Church in a small way.

My point is:
    the majority of the people in the country are catholics, this country has a strong history of catholicism be it good or bad, imo for the most part good, but thats for a different debate.They are not trying to trample on anyone elses rights just by showing the angelus, which is now a watered down 'time for reflection', or by placing cribs in public places. What if offends catholics to remove the angelus? what about their rights?

If the time ever comes when the majority of the country becomes atheist, then we can remove all traces of religion, but until then we are a catholic country in the majority

And obviously I am not trying to suggest that this country becomes more like Ethopia or other such countries, that point stems from visitors to this country claiming to be 'offended' with any public displays of faith, which I find extemely annoying, and where I feel the country such toughen up and not pander to every petty little grievance claimed by indivuals of a non-catholic denomination

Quick! Look over there!

*cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

WTF? Zillah's psychic?

I...er, what?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

A non-practising Catholic; I don't go to church regularly. I still pray from time to time, and I attend mass on the major feast days. I'm not a great catholic at all, but I guess I still am part of the Catholic Church in a small way.

My point is:
    the majority of the people in the country are catholics, this country has a strong history of catholicism be it good or bad, imo for the most part good, but thats for a different debate.They are not trying to trample on anyone elses rights just by showing the angelus, which is now a watered down 'time for reflection', or by placing cribs in public places. What if offends catholics to remove the angelus? what about their rights?

If the time ever comes when the majority of the country becomes atheist, then we can remove all traces of religion, but until then we are a catholic country in the majority

And obviously I am not trying to suggest that this country becomes more like Ethopia or other such countries, that point stems from visitors to this country claiming to be 'offended' with any public displays of faith, which I find extemely annoying, and where I feel the country such toughen up and not pander to every petty little grievance claimed by indivuals of a non-catholic denomination

I know your type, you probably vote FF too! :pac:

Take that back!!!:eek:

I have never in my life voted FF, and never will!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

According to some practising catholics, you wouldn't considered to be a catholic at all, in fact most catholics in ireland wouldn't be.
    My point is:
    the majority of the people in the country are catholics, this country has a strong history of catholicism be it good or bad, imo for the most part good, but thats for a different debate.

We also have a strong history of potato famines, should we go back to that too?
    They are not trying to trample on anyone elses rights just by showing the angelus, which is now a watered down 'time for reflection', or by placing cribs in public places. What if offends catholics to remove the angelus? what about their rights?

Its not about offence, its about equality. Are the muslims allowed to have the call to prayer played on the national broadcaster for free five times a day? Are atheists allowed to proclaim that "there is probably no god, now stop worrying and enjoy your life" just before the nine o clock news?. What about the Jewish equivalent (the barechu, I think) or the scientologist equivalent (the call for money, probably) or hindu or buddhist too?

No, we are a country with a catholic majority, which is not the same thing.

So the country should only pander to the petty little grievances claimed by indivuals of catholic denominations?

And the whole no contraceptives, no intercourse before marriage stuff right? That hell place sounds horrible.
    My point is:
    They would have the same rights everyone else. Practice your religion in private. FSM forbid we have equality eh.
    Also the catholic church been good for the country? Really? Wow.
    **** it. I'm gonna take a novel approach. How about us Atheists accept the angelus and such in return all catholics pays an extra 1% levy on their wages to cover such things. And we keep this up while catholicism is in the majority?
    It's not just visitors is it? How many people on boards that you are debating with right now are tourists?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

ShooterSF wrote: »
    They would have the same rights everyone else. Practice your religion in private.

What on earth do you mean by that? If our religion shapes the way we act towards others, and what we consider to be moral or immoral, and what we perceive the universe to be. How can it be "private"?

Zillah wrote: »
    I...er, what?

*scratches head*

Right, I'm blaming that on my morning brain. I was sure that your post somehow magically appeared before the post you were responding to.

Uhm...I'll just go delete that post now.

Jakkass wrote: »
    What on earth do you mean by that? If our religion shapes the way we act towards others, and what we consider to be moral or immoral, and what we perceive the universe to be. How can it be "private"?

By practice I meant the praying stuff and such. Of course I don't expect people to ask themselves whether their personality exists because of their religion or not and to change it if it does, that's silly.

A storm in a teacup.

This is how I see it. Belief is optional.The Angelus is traditional.Bells ringing for one or two minutes a day is about that.

The bells are ringing and the men are coming in from the fields etc...end of the day and dinner.

Its hardly brain washing :)

No, we are a country with a catholic majority, which is not the same thing.

A catholic country in the majority is the same thing, you're just being pedant there.

And to suggest I'm looking for us to go back to the time of the potatoe famine is just bizzare really, since when is having a potatoe famine traditional???

I'm just going to finish with this:

I think playing the angelus is okay, I'm proud of the catholic tradition in this country, and you can lambast me for saying that but I'm entitled to my opinion, just like you're entitled to disagree.

I would like to see more public displays of faith and symbols of our religion around. If other people want to put up symbols of their faith too, thats fine by me, but don't crib about my crib:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

I would like to see more public displays of faith and symbols of our religion around. If other people want to put up symbols of their faith too, thats fine by me, but don't crib about my crib:)

Can everyone get free state funded airtime to do that? Yaay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

what about their rights?
    What about their "rights"?

Is any Catholic in this country actually going to feel oppressed because they got rid of the Angelus?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Wicknight wrote: »
    Is any Catholic in this country actually going to feel oppressed because they got rid of the Angelus?
    I hate to say it but I would think undoubtedly yes.

In all likelihood not too many people would really care, until till some catholic group grasped the story, shook up some hysteria and made it sound like church burnings were next on the secular agenda.

Advertisement