Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Angelus

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

So where does the bell phobia come from

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

CDfm wrote: »
    It used to mean you had to head for the Round Towers - the Vikings were coming. :pac:

Dades wrote: »
    It used to mean you had to head for the Round Towers - the Vikings were coming. :pac:

Ah the memes are back:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Ah the memes are back:pac:

When did they leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

A catholic country in the majority is the same thing, you're just being pedant there.

No I am not. If this was a "Catholic country" then condoms would be illegal (as they were decades ago). Do you even know catholic dogma?
    And to suggest I'm looking for us to go back to the time of the potatoe famine is just bizzare really, since when is having a potatoe famine traditional???

Since when is something being traditional a good thing?
    I think playing the angelus is okay, I'm proud of the catholic tradition in this country, and you can lambast me for saying that but I'm entitled to my opinion, just like you're entitled to disagree.

If the catholics in this country want to band together and pay for the airtime to play the angelus on the national broadcaster, then fine, until then why should it be there for free?
    I would like to see more public displays of faith and symbols of our religion around. If other people want to put up symbols of their faith too, thats fine by me, but don't crib about my crib:)

RTE isn't your "crib" its everyones "crib", why should you be allowed to do what you want with RTE while other religions and world views cant? If people themselves want to display their own faith then fine, but the issue here is that our government is displaying a particular faith, which it shouldn't do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Don't know, but my cat has bell-phobia. When the angeles comes on she runs around with her belly on the ground. She is terrified. We have to turn down the radio to relax her and then we always miss the news headlines. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

'Leave the Angelus alone you heathens!'
    boohoo.jpg

Oh, and I think I love whoever put in those tags :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

RTE isn't your "crib" its everyones "crib", why should you be allowed to do what you want with RTE while other religions and world views cant? If people themselves want to display their own faith then fine, but the issue here is that our government is displaying a particular faith, which it shouldn't do.

Since when was RTE controlled by the government it has a public bradcasting remit.

Its controlled by legislation and the RTE Authority. It probably reflects its remit.

I like your thinking though -if RTE stopped broadcating stuff on the basis that somebody might be offended then Gerry Ryan and Ryan Tubridy would be off the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

I saw this recently, its a spoof of the angelus on RTE... turn off the sound if a bell ringing bothers you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzRP7OKHcqQ

nouggatti wrote: »
    Since when was RTE controlled by the government it has a public bradcasting remit.

Its controlled by legislation and the RTE Authority. It probably reflects its remit.

I like your thinking though -if RTE stopped broadcating stuff on the basis that somebody might be offended then Gerry Ryan and Ryan Tubridy would be off the air.

RTE is owned by the state and the management is appointed by the government. This means any preference for any one religion displayed by RTE reflects on the government

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Dades wrote: »
    shook up some hysteria and made it sound like church burnings were next on the secular agenda.

*kicks notepad under desk*

What?! No, no, of course not...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Malari wrote: »
    Don't know, but my cat has bell-phobia. When the angeles comes on she runs around with her belly on the ground. She is terrified.
    Ok, she's a cat, but have you tried feeding her after the angelus?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

robindch wrote: »

She already has to comfort eat afterwards. :pac: it's a very traumatic experience on the whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

Zillah wrote: »
    Seeing a religious tradition constantly supported by publicly funded television and radio irks me

Rather than fight it, we should insist on having our own observance of silence while this plays in the background.

http://tmbgmilk.ytmnd.com/

Reminded of this clip I watched recently :D

RTE is owned by the state and the management is appointed by the government. This means any preference for any one religion displayed by RTE reflects on the government

RTE is governed by the Broadcasting Acts passed by the Oireachtas and its day to day activies are handled by the RTE Board.

So what other TV shows do you want dropped? Should we drop minority programming too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Didn't RTÉ show Richard Dawkins' The Root of All Evil last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Jakkass wrote: »
    Didn't RTÉ show Richard Dawkins' The Root of All Evil last year?

Yep, but they also showed a pro Intelligent Design documentary instead of Naked Science on a Sunday...now that is inexcusable!!:mad:

Nah no gripe against RTE, they generally accommodate all tastes fairly well :)
    If only they just turned that Angulus into a reflection time thingy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Some people argue that the Angelus already is a time of reflection. I guess, I'm so indifferent because I know I'll hear it on the way home from Maynooth anyway if I'm not at home :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Zillah wrote: »
    BONNNNGGG!

BONNNNGGG!

BONNNNGGG!

BONNNNGGG!

BONNNNGGG!

Get that shit off my TV please.

what! ohhhhh you meant the news :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

RTE is governed by the Broadcasting Acts passed by the Oireachtas and its day to day activies are handled by the RTE Board.

So what other TV shows do you want dropped? Should we drop minority programming too.

Minorities actually exist, so no.

• Advertisement

Minorities actually exist, so no.

lets see.

We the majority are to drop the Angelus to appease minorities yet cant drop minority programming we dont like.

Thats great logic that is.:rolleyes:

lets see.

We the majority are to drop the Angelus to appease minorities yet cant drop minority programming we dont like.

Thats great logic that is.:rolleyes:

RTE isn't run for the majority, it is run for everyone. Dropping the angelus is the only choice since the "majority" dont seem to want to offer the minorities the same opportunity to put their religiously based dogma on tv for free.

Its got nothing to do with what anyone does or doesn't like, its about EQUALITY.

RTE isn't run for the majority, it is run for everyone. Dropping the angelus is the only choice since the "majority" dont seem to want to offer the minorities the same opportunity to put their religiously based dogma on tv for free.

Its got nothing to do with what anyone does or doesn't like, its about EQUALITY.

But you cant please everyone and everyone has different tastes. Gee whiz - if the Angelus offends you - parking outside churches while attending mass must make you apoplectic:p

But you cant please everyone and everyone has different tastes.

This has nothing to do with pleasing people, its about EQUALITY wether or not the pro-angelus agree with it or not. RTE is a state run business put in place to provide programming for everyone on the island, its not supposed to have a religious bias, wether or not there is a religious majority. Might as well say that RTE should only cater for women in its programming schedule as they are in the majority.
    Gee whiz - if the Angelus offends you - parking outside churches while attending mass must make you apoplectic:p

The angelus doesn't offend me, its the religious discrimination in the state broadcaster that does.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

The only way RTE will get rid of the Angelus is if a large enough Muslin 'rights' group kick up a huge stink and demand that their own prayers (sorry, the name escapes me) get broadcast too. This would open the floodgates for every religion to demand one, resulting in an 'all or none' decision to be made by RTE, where 'none' is the only feasible solution.

Also, RTE is paid for with taxpayers' money. Why should atheists, Muslims, Scientologists, Jews etc. have to pay for a Catholic service?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Galvasean wrote: »
    Why should atheists, Muslims, Scientologists, Jews etc. have to pay for a Catholic service?
    I wonder how the "let the market decide" policy proposed in the religious-education thread would work here.

Would you divide the Angelus up in proportion to the size of each religion? Or would you just add on bits, or change the background picture or sound track?

Would the atheists just have a white screen backed by white noise?

Ideas on a postcard please!

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭pts

Would the atheists just have a white screen backed by white noise?

Ideas on a postcard please!

How about this on a continuous loop? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

... Lads... picking battles is the way forward...

Secular/nonreligious oaths for judges and other positions: sensible
    Making sure creationism is kept out of science classes: important
    Complaining about 60 seconds of bell ringing and people looking thoughtful: waste of time, and makes you look more anti-theist than atheist

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

kiffer wrote: »
    ... Lads... picking battles is the way forward...

Secular/nonreligious oaths for judges and other positions: sensible
    Making sure creationism is kept out of science classes: important
    Complaining about 60 seconds of bell ringing and people looking thoughtful: waste of time, and makes you look more anti-theist than atheist

Good point, even though I have enjoyed the rant about the Angelus!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

TBH RTÉ turning the volume up on ads bothers me far more than some ringing bells, I just change the channel! :D

Advertisement