Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Angelus

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

This has nothing to do with pleasing people, its about EQUALITY wether or not the pro-angelus agree with it or not.

So you want Muslim Prayer Time a few times a day. Arent you afraid that will open the doors for the rosary?
    robindch wrote: »

Would the atheists just have a white screen backed by white noise?

Currently the Angelus has 1 minute and that is called the Good News. The Atheists have the terretorial news " The Bad News" is 59 mins. Brian Cowan who dominates it must be one of your bunch with the unholy mess the country is in.So the Angelus is only a tiny bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

CDfm wrote: »
    So you want Muslim Prayer Time a few times a day. Arent you afraid that will open the doors for the rosary?

I'd personally be delighted if the only way the angelus could be played, was if an equal minute was dedicated to Islam, then Judaism, scientology, humanism, Buddhism etc. and watch the complaints roll in from the lapsed catholics!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭Rondolfus

There's only one thing I hate more than people that believe in God and that's atheists...

"Oooh lets get rid of a few bells that make the old people happy...."

Its ironic that in this day and age its the people that don't believe in god that do most preaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Rondolfus wrote: »
    There's only one thing I hate more than people that believe in God and that's atheists...
    So let me get this straight. Atheist's are top of your hate list, then people that believe in a god. Do serial killers come next?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Its ironic that in this day and age its the people that don't believe in god that do most preaching.
    You've seen the "Down With The Angelus" posters and the campaign ads, then? Great!

Thanks for the generalisations, btw, do stop by again.

• Advertisement

Dades wrote: »
    You've seen the "Down With The Angelus" posters and the campaign ads, then? Great!

Thanks for the generalisations, btw, do stop by again.

An Atheist Preacher promotes atheist beliefs.

Atheist Ireland for example fits that category.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

I'd personally be delighted if the only way the angelus could be played, was if an equal minute was dedicated to Islam, then Judaism, scientology, humanism, Buddhism etc. and watch the complaints roll in from the lapsed catholics!

How about this:

A minute of Angelus-like sequences catering to every religion broken down as follows:

Catholics - 52.4 seconds
    Church of Ireland (.incl Protestant) - 1.7 seconds
    Other Christian Religions - 0.4 seconds
    Presbyterian - 0.3 seconds
    Muslim (Islamic) - 0.5 seconds
    Orthodox - 0.3 seconds
    Methodist - 0.2 seconds
    Other religions (perhaps a frame with all their logos, maybe that will appease them?) - 0.8 seconds
    Atheists/Agnostics - 2.5 seconds
    People who didn't state their religion on their census form (I assume they are Nazis) - 1 second

See, there is solution with compromise. Numbers from cso.ie btw.

An Atheist Preacher promotes atheist beliefs.

Atheist Ireland for example fits that category.
    I'm sorry - you've lost me here. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

There is quite a large portion of the population which appear as Catholics on the census, therefore it is logical for RTÉ to cater to these people, but illogical for them to cater for the small number of Muslims.

CDfm wrote:
    Currently the Angelus has 1 minute and that is called the Good News. The Atheists have the terretorial news " The Bad News" is 59 mins. Brian Cowan who dominates it must be one of your bunch with the unholy mess the country is in.So the Angelus is only a tiny bit.

"The Bad News" as you label it has absolutely nothing to do with atheism exclusively. I don't know how you managed to equate something so ridiculous. The news is for everyone and usually spends a fair portion talking about religious news.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

I want whoever the programming on the tv is for to pay for it. If a muslim group wants to put the call to prayer on RTE and can pay for it, then why not?

You are a troll and I'm always amazed at how you haven't been banned yet.

• Advertisement

You are a troll and I'm always amazed at how you haven't been banned yet.
    We'll be the judges of who is trolling, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Dades wrote: »
    We'll be the judges of who is trolling, thanks.

Sorry :o

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Ah yes, CDfm's patented "He's bad so must be an atheist" meme.
    Funny how you would try lump Brian Cowen, the leader of Fianna Fail, an organisation with a 'special relationship with the Catholic Church, in with the atheists.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

You rather missed the point of this thread didn't you? Methinks this a hit and run though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Let's not forget to mention that the Americans got their sh!t straight 222 years ago!

in-god-we-trust_large.jpg

They sure did...

I don't see the point to the Angelus. Could someone (preferably a proponent) explain it's usefulness to me?

You realise you've included agnostics and members of non-Judo-Christian beliefs here, don't you? So, you hate all Christians and all Jews because they believe in God, and you believe everyone else does the most preaching, which I managed to glean that you have a strong dislike for from your post. Do you like anyone? :confused:
    in-god-we-trust_large.jpg
    They sure did...

They only changed to that motto relatively recently you know!

I see no Angelus defenders have answered my question yet so I'll say it again...

Why should I, as a non-Catholic have to pay for the Angelus (albeit indirectly)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Galvasean wrote: »
    I see no Angelus defenders have answered my question yet so I'll say it again...

Why should I, as a non-Catholic have to pay for the Angelus (albeit indirectly)?

Why should I, as a non Irish speaker, have to pay for the Nuacht (albeit indirectly)?

This discussion comes up every once in a while on boards, and it's always pointless. Religious oaths are still required to be taken by those taking high offices on this little island. Surely that should be a far more pressing matter than the angelus.

I'm happy to regard the Angelus as a call to reflect on my day. It's clear by the imagery shown during it that this is how it should be interpreted.

So what if it had it's origins as a call to prayer. The angelus, like us, has evolved, and it's time for some in the IAC (the internet atheist community) to move on, and start looking forward.

They only changed to that motto relatively recently you know!

About 50 years ago. So they perhaps had their **** together for 150 years, then lost it in the 1950s.

• Advertisement

About 50 years ago. So they perhaps had their **** together for 150 years, then lost it in the 1950s.

Pretty much. War paranoia will do that.

Ah yes, CDfm's patented "He's bad so must be an atheist" meme
    Funny how you would try lump Brian Cowen, the leader of Fianna Fail, an organisation with a 'special relationship with the Catholic Church, in with the atheists.

I try. What I am trying to do is put it in proportion to the programming on at the time and that its on for 1 minute out of 1440 per day.

I pay for football programmes I dont watch. The real thing is that its down to tradition just like Sunday Mass on telly is for people who may be old or too ill to attend. In some areas you no longer have churches or church bells and it may provide a link to the tradition and give an isolated person a sence of community.

So I would say religious broadcasting of that type is aimed at the old and ill as a public service issue.

Another issue that is worth mentioning is that originally TVs and Radios were probably turned off by the faithfull and they stopped viewing to say the Angelus etc. This in turn would have affected viewing/listenership numbers and in turn advertising returns. So I am speculating but I imagine that it gives a type of ratings boost to RTE.It would be interesting to know the figures it brings in.

I try. What I am trying to do is put it in proportion to the programming on at the time and that its on for 1 minute out of 1440 per day.
    (...)

I think you may have missed his point. He was referring to your prejudice and discrimination of atheists with your comment that the country is in a mess because our leaders are atheist (something I don't even think is true).

I think you may have missed his point. He was referring to your prejudice and discrimination of atheists with your comment that the country is in a mess because our leaders are atheist (something I don't even think is true).

Gaynor, his magic tome says it is justified because we are lowly unbelievers. So I guess that's ok.

Gaynor, his magic tome says it is justified because we are lowly unbelievers. So I guess that's ok.

:D Actually, I believe his "magic tome" says something along the lines of "First remove the log from your own eye before attempting to remove the splinter from your neighbour's". Of course, I'm sure that's contradicted in some other part :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Cactus Col wrote: »
    Why should I, as a non Irish speaker, have to pay for the Nuacht (albeit indirectly)?

There's nothing in the RTE charter or any laws that I'm aware of, regarding endorsing one language over another (or lack thereof!). That would be the difference.
    This discussion comes up every once in a while on boards, and it's always pointless. Religious oaths are still required to be taken by those taking high offices on this little island. Surely that should be a far more pressing matter than the angelus.

There is a campaign regarding that at the moment.

:D Actually, I believe his "magic tome" says something along the lines of "First remove the log from your own eye before attempting to remove the splinter from your neighbour's". Of course, I'm sure that's contradicted in some other part :(

Ah, yeah. I think in Romans 21:2
    First remove the splinter from your neighbours eye before attempting to remove the log from yours"

But of course, this was New Testament, so the context was different because it was a different time.

Although God's absolute, timeless morality still holds.

:pac:

Ok - so I stretched the point a little and was a little naughty- its the spirit of the thread to exagerate a bit.

I don't think the Angelus discriminates against atheists. There are some aspects in the country especially education where you could say there is a catholic bias that politicians have left non catholics down. Its probably something Galvesean and I agree on.

The Angelus is one we probably don't but I did give what I thought was a realistic answer when he asked for someone to give reasons to support it.

Ok - so I stretched the point a little and was a little naughty- its the spirit of the thread to exagerate a bit.

I don't think the Angelus discriminates against atheists. There are some aspects in the country especially education where you could say there is a catholic bias that politicians have left non catholics down. Its probably something Galvesean and I agree on.

The Angelus is one we probably don't but I did give what I thought was a realistic answer when he asked for someone to give reasons to support it.

Fair enough. I happen to agree that the Angelus is not a big deal. You might as well give out about a certain type of car advertisement. I just thought you were being a little silly with your posts, turns out it was intentional! :)

• Advertisement

Other than Ivana Bacik we dont have any politician who is openly atheist and she is more known as the Queen Bee of politically correct politics and feminism than atheism. Her constituency as a Senator ,if Im not mistaken, drew on that of David Norris more known for his openly gay celebrity.

I think its about time politicans were more open about their religious orientation as I think the disclosures they make are more concerned with negative impact on opinion polls than honesty.

Certainly, I would not let the religious orientation of a politician sway me if I didnt like his/her political ideas.

Advertisement