Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Angelus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

CDfm wrote: »
    I don't think the Angelus discriminates against atheists.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it negatively discriminates against anyone in particular. However, it does 'pro-actively discriminates' in favour of Catholocism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Galvasean wrote: »
    I wouldn't go so far as to say it negatively discriminates against anyone in particular. However, it does 'pro-actively discriminates' in favour of Catholocism.

Does it?

I was driving thru Portlaoise last week and saw an elderly woman with her rosary beads.

Other than Rathkeale or the Grandparents pilgrimage to Knock you dont get a whole lot of Marian devotion these days. What kind of an effect do you think it has and to what audience. It doesn't move me.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Does it?

Yes. It's a Catholic service/tradition.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Yes. It's a Catholic service/tradition.

I know you are a fairly reasonable guy so this is not a loaded question but why do you feel it should go and who do you think its audience is?

Is it because its Catholic or do you have the same view on all religious broadcasting? The Sunday Mass for instance?

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Antbert

I know you are a fairly reasonable guy so this is not a loaded question but why do you feel it should go and who do you think its audience is?

Is it because its Catholic or do you have the same view on all religious broadcasting? The Sunday Mass for instance?
    Not aimed at me but... I think The Angelus (and The Sunday Mass) are biased programmes in favour of Catholocism. I wouldn't be in favour of any religious broadcasting (although I like the idea of every religion, including FSM, demanding air time, thus eventually rendering it completely impractical). I mean 'religious' in the non-informative way, obviously. I'm not opposed to programmes about religion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I think the Angelus is a left over from another era, ie (the dominant Rome era), and just like the appendix, it too is surplus to modern day requirements :)

And anyway, why should the 'Roman Catholic' church have a broadcasting platform at 6pm every evening?

Antbert wrote: »
    (although I like the idea of every religion, including FSM, demanding air time,

And they dont -whens your Dolmio day?:D
    Camelot wrote: »
    I think the Angelus is a left over from another era, ie (the dominant Rome era), and just like the appendix, it too is surplus to modern day requirements :)

And anyway, why should the 'Roman Catholic' church have a broadcasting platform at 6pm every evening?

While I agree that it is unlikely a public broadcaster would do it today.nonetheless, you have to agree that there is an element of public broadcasting need to it.It may be surplus to your individual requirements but what about the needs of the elderly and not so mobile who can't get to mass etc.Whats to be done with them??

It may be surplus to your individual requirements but what about the needs of the elderly and not so mobile who can't get to mass etc.Whats to be done with them??

Who says all elderly people are Roman Catholics?

Who says all elderly people are Roman Catholics?

They are more likely to demonstrate their beliefs without any inhibitions.

Like this group in Knock.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0914/1224254474558.html

Anyway thats a side issue - I was asking about whether it merited public broadcasting status?

Anyway thats a side issue - I was asking about whether it merited public broadcasting status?

And I am saying 'NO' it doesn't merit broadcasting status, because it only represents part of the Christian family, never mind other beliefs & non believers! > its outdated, and IMO it should be scrapped.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

It may be surplus to your individual requirements but what about the needs of the elderly and not so mobile who can't get to mass etc.Whats to be done with them??

Never thought about them. What are the elderly and immobile to do if they don't have a device that makes biong noises for a minute each day?

Wait... Don't we have some left over e-voting machines? With a small software upgrade and an inexpensive speaker attached, we could kill two birds with one stone.:pac:

And I am saying 'NO' it doesn't merit broadcasting status, because it only represents part of the Christian family, never mind other beliefs & non believers! > its outdated, and IMO it should be scrapped.

So minority programming should be scrapped. You going to close TG4 too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

So minority programming should be scrapped. You going to close TG4 too.

Cultural language and personally held paranoid spook stories are not the same thing. Your comparison is therefore spurious.

Cultural language and personally held paranoid spook stories are not the same thing. Your comparison is therefore spurious.

My comparison is about minority appeal -it could be news for the deaf or a literacy programme.

FD does this mean you are "hostile" (for the want of a better description) to any form of programming with religious or spiritual content?

My comparison is about minority appeal -it could be news for the deaf or a literacy programme.

FD does this mean you are "hostile" (for the want of a better description) to any form of programming with religious or spiritual content?

1) People don't choose to be deaf. Stop using spurious analogies, please. It's silly.

2) I am opposed to a state-sponsored TV channel promoting one religion. Think about that statement for a while. Imagine if it was Islam that RTE promoted and only promoted. Would you be ok with that? I assume you would.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

2) I am opposed to a state-sponsored TV channel promoting one religion. Think about that statement for a while. Imagine if it was Islam that RTE promoted and only promoted. Would you be ok with that? I assume you would.

Oh but there are more catholics than muslims and we are a catholic country..:pac:

Muslims in Ireland pay a TV licence, which pays for the Angelus and TV mass, where is their allotted religious scheduled programming?

If we are to bandy about the idea that its all proportional to the population, why not include other faiths and non-believers and give them a slot based on population?

I imagine the meeja would jump on the circus that it would be, with all faiths etc. demanding rubbish on TV for a few seconds, and complaints about exposing x y or z faith child to indoctrination by other x y or z faith.

While the removal of tax payer funded religious programming would be fair, the proportional programming would also be fair, and would result in many lols I'd imagine while people struggle to come to terms with their own hypocrisy versus trying to be culturally tolerant.

It would be a mess, a wonderful mess.

Oh but there are more catholics than muslims and we are a catholic country..:pac:

Muslims in Ireland pay a TV licence, which pays for the Angelus and TV mass, where is their allotted religious scheduled programming?

You had a Special on Ramadam and the Jewish Passover and Hindi Diwali programming

http://www.rte.ie/tv/worship/

You also have ecunimical programming

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/religion/1041163.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

You had a Special on Ramadam and the Jewish Passover and Hindi Diwali programming

Are these daily?

Weekly?

Again, these are not analogous to a state tv channel actively selecting one religion as it's favourite. There is a difference between 1) a tv channel discussing a religion, as outlined in the links above, and 2) a tv channel choosing a particular faiths symbol (the angelus) and weaving it into the very fabric of their channels entity. If you cannot see this, then you are wilfully ignoring what your eyes relay to your brain.

I dont agree with you FD but that said I checked out what RTEs position is and it views the Angelus as being part of it religious remit.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/letters/angelus-broadcasts-fulfill-rtes-remit-1494944.html

So you may have a point of sorts.

• Advertisement

Ok, so maybe a state broadcaster should not have a religious remit? They could still do their documentaries about Judaism, etc (which even I find interesting), so what would be the harm?

The appeal of the Angelus must be that it fulfills the remit and is cheap as chips.It also reflects the cultural beliefs of a large section of the population.

Without being smug -I reckon the "elderly etc "argument I put forward would be a hard one to beat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Dunno if it's OT but does RTE still play the national anthem at close?

Used to like it when it had a bit of old school iconography. Personally I detest all that business with phillipino nurses, and ruddy faced workers going all glazed and spiritual looking.

The appeal of the Angelus must be that it fulfills the remit and is cheap as chips. It also reflects the cultural beliefs of the population.

Without being smug -I reckon the "elderly etc "argument I put forward would be a hard one to beat.

1) Thanks for discriminating against me.

2) Do the elderly, etc, really need the angelus?

1) Thanks for discriminating against me.

No offence meant - I should have said a large section of the population
    2) Do the elderly, etc, really need the angelus?

Religious observation is important to lots of people and the elderly etc even more so. So some form of obsevence will accompany these beliefs IMO.

No offence meant - I should have said a large section of the population

You didn't offend me, really. I was just making a point. However if a politician or public institution said that, I would be rightly offended. Therefore you can see why I would have a problem with the Angelus, etc?

Religious observation is important to lots of people and the elderly etc even more so. So some form of obsevence will accompany these beliefs IMO.

What of the Muslim elderly? No RTÉ Adhan? Try use your imagination while watching this clip. The people stopping their work and looking upwards, etc, just like the Angelus:

Any problems with this?

The fact that they are not the majority is missing the point entirely. Positive discrimination is still discrimination and is unconstitutional. This is why I oppose the Angelus.

FD - yes I get your point.

I lived in Saudi so I understand your point and Ireland doesnt stop for the Angelus.

Irish religious programming was based on the BBC. The Public Broadcasting remit probably inherited from state control of broadcasting. Deregulate broadcasting and remove the licence fee and you probably wouldnt have it, TG4 or Lyric FM.

FD - yes I get your point.

I lived in Saudi so I understand your point and Ireland doesnt stop for the Angelus.

Irish religious programming was based on the BBC. The Public Broadcasting remit probably inherited from state control of broadcasting. Deregulate broadcasting and remove the licence fee and you probably wouldnt have it, TG4 or Lyric FM.

So, remove the religious remit and most of the Irish broadcasting sector would disappear down the plughole?

Come on...

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Antbert

What of the Muslim elderly? No RTÉ Adhan? Try use your imagination while watching this clip. The people stopping their work and looking upwards, etc, just like the Angelus:
    Oh no. Only the majority elderly matter.

I have an issue with this anyway. Who are we (who I presume are all quite youthful) to decide that "the elderly" are all weak-minded religious nuts? Also, you may argue that the Angelus serves to help said weak-minded religious nuts, but why do they need it? Why can't they just pray at 6pm anyway?

I did say quite a few pages ago that it may be a better course of action to wait until everyone who's currently 75+ is dead to scrap the Angelus. Just to get rid of this damn 'facilitating the elderly' argument.

And there is a massive vast gaping chasm of a difference between programmes ABOUT religion and religious bias programmes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Ball_of_Sex

Sure well all love the old bit of a BOOOOOONNNGGG!!!!!

Advertisement