Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Angelus

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

CDfm wrote: »
    The Angelus has more support than I thought.
    Still and all, you'd wonder how many were tuning in for the angelus and how many were tuning in for the news and catching the angelus by mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

robindch wrote: »
    Still and all, you'd wonder how many were tuning in for the angelus and how many were tuning in for the news and catching the angelus by mistake.

I lived outside Ireland and once switched over to Prime Time instead of Don't Feed the Gondolas. Willie O'Dea was on and was hilarious.

That said - 10% of Catholic households tuning into the Angelus would be in line with what I would expect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

robindch wrote: »

exactly!
    Now there’s grist to the mill for those avid letter writers who have been campaigning for years to get the Angelus taken off the schedule of the State broadcaster.

and they call us pettty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

I lived outside Ireland and once switched over to Prime Time instead of Don't Feed the Gondolas. Willie O'Dea was on and was hilarious.

That said - 10% of Catholic households tuning into the Angelus would be in line with what I would expect.

All assumptions. Anything to squeeze that square peg in.

All assumptions. Anything to squeeze that square peg in.

RTE claims its the most watched religious programme and very sucessful and supported.

Now I am surprised at the viewing figures but have to accept them as fact.

• Advertisement

RTE claims its the most watched religious programme and very sucessful and supported.

Now I am surprised at the viewing figures but have to accept them as fact.

Once again, missing the point entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

The facts are that a proportion of monitored televisions equating to 300k+ nationally do not change channel in the interim between two prime time programs.

Anything beyond that, on either side of the arguement, is speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

What point, I didn't realise there was any?:p

Assumptions = Fact : Fact!:)

Get your facts right flamed.:p

Nevore wrote: »
    The facts are that a proportion of monitored televisions equating to 300k+ nationally do not change channel in the interim between two prime time programs.

Anything beyond that, on either side of the arguement, is speculation.

I dont know exactly what percentage of the population attend mass weekly but its in the region of 50%.

87% of the population describe themselves as Catholic in the Census

So I dont think you can be as dismissive of the audience the Angelus has.You are putting a spin on your interpretation.

I dont know exactly what percentage of the population attend mass weekly but its in the region of 50%.

So I dont think you can be as dismissive of the audience the Angelus has.You are putting a spin on your interpretation.

I'm described as 'Catholic' in the Census (because my parents fill it in:():P

• Advertisement

I'm not making an interpretation? What I said is the facts of the matter. Any attempt to put a number on the actual viewers is just speculation, which is the point I'm trying to make. The only thing we know for certain is that x amount of monitored televisions are on during the Angelus. RTE then takes those numbers and extrapolates what it feels are accurate numbers of viewers for each program.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Those ratings are useless for a 'filler' minute. A program has to be on long enough for people to turn over, rather than sit it out waiting for the news, to be worth a damn.

Dades wrote: »
    Those ratings are useless for a 'filler' minute. A program has to be on long enough for people to turn over, rather than sit it out waiting for the news, to be worth a damn.

Yep, and you can bet your arse that a survey of Catholics would show that the vast majority of them watch it every night, even though they probably do not.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Handsome_Pete

the sad thing is it's probably the best homegrown programme on rte. If it's a choice between watching the angelus or fair city, i know what i'd pick, at least it only lasts a minute

I'm not making an interpretation? What I said is the facts of the matter. Any attempt to put a number on the actual viewers is just speculation, ..........RTE then takes those numbers and extrapolates what it feels are accurate numbers of viewers for each program.

When advertisers buy time on RTE for ad campaigns they monitor results so the samples get rigorously etc. I am not a fan of RTE but from what I know its figures are accurate. They are not "makey upey".

the sad thing is it's probably the best homegrown programme on rte. If it's a choice between watching the angelus or fair city, i know what i'd pick, at least it only lasts a minute

But it's the same thing each time....oh wait!

When advertisers buy time on RTE for ad campaigns they monitor results so the samples get rigorously etc. I am not a fan of RTE but from what I know its figures are accurate. They are not "makey upey".

Ever see any ads in between the angulus and news???
    It's the news rating the advertisers would be looking at..

That doesn't change the basic fact that Nielsen Media Research sample a meagre 1050 households for their viewing figures and that the figures are generated presuming a ridiculous direct ratio between those 1050 monitored televisions and the entire population of Ireland.

That doesn't change the basic fact that Nielsen Media Research sample a meagre 1050 households for their viewing figures and that the figures are generated presuming a ridiculous direct ratio between those 1050 monitored televisions and the entire population of Ireland.

Its accurate enough for advertisers to predict a consumer response to an international standard.

CD, are you really so gullible to believe that someone, anyone, is rushing to their TV set at exactly 5.59 pm to switch on the Angelus? Are these people not merely switching on RTE1 to see the Six O'Clock News?

• Advertisement

CD, are you really so gullible to believe that someone, anyone, is rushing to their TV set at exactly 5.59 pm to switch on the Angelus? Are these people not merely switching on RTE1 to see the Six O'Clock News?

I am not saying anything & I am surprised at the figures.

The difference is that I am prepared to accept the trend they indicate.

I am not saying anything & I am surprised at the figures.

The difference is that I am prepared to accept the trend they indicate.
    An interesting detail revealed by Mr Childs is that the Angelus is “Ireland’s most watched religious programme, with an average of 318,000 viewers every day”.

From the RTE Website you have this:

The average programme audience for Prime Time since September has been approximately 450,000.

The Angelus has more support than I thought.

That Concern ad that runs just before every Six One news also has more "support" than I thought...

That Concern ad that runs just before every Six One news also has more "support" than I thought...

Could have a particular target market -donncha think.

Its likely to include the same 13% of the population that attend mass daily.

Erm, it's attempting to capture people who follow current affairs and would therefore be more likely to care about sick children in Darfur?

Sorry, CD. The high viewing figures of that time are the reason for the Angelus seemingly having a high audience. The News is the attraction, not the Angelus. Although I know somewhere in your head lies the notion that if the Angelus was pulled, Six One news would have to be cancelled, due to low viewing figures.

picard-facepalm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Antbert

Just thought I'd add, I put RTE 1 on around 6 and just turn the sound off for the Angelus. So I'm with everyone saying that that's completely inaccurate.

Malty_T wrote: »
    picard-facepalm.jpg

EXCLUSIVE PIC OF FLAMED DIVING IN PENSIVE MOOD DURING THE ANGELUS :D

Antbert wrote: »
    Just thought I'd add, I put RTE 1 on around 6 and just turn the sound off for the Angelus. So I'm with everyone saying that that's completely inaccurate.

I only really commented in answer to Galveseans post. I have no interest otherwise. I just thought it was a very fair question and looked it up and posted what I found.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

Who cares about the Angelus? It's only a minute long, it doesn't do any harm to any of us, and there's plenty of ****e on RTE... It might be annoying but there are plenty of ads which are far more annoying and nearly as long as the Angelus

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭The Prophet

komodosp wrote: »
    Who cares about the Angelus? It's only a minute long, it doesn't do any harm to any of us, and there's plenty of ****e on RTE... It might be annoying but there are plenty of ads which are far more annoying and nearly as long as the Angelus

It's this kind of casual apathetic (not to mention point-missing) attitude to the so-called 'small' nods to religious privilege in this country that helps the continued coddling of religion as a larger whole.

Advertisement