Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Angelus

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

It's this kind of casual apathetic (not to mention point-missing) attitude to the so-called 'small' nods to religious privilege in this country that helps the continued coddling of religion as a larger whole.

I don't think its a small nod nor is it coddling.

Its there because it was representative of Irish society.

The support for it is also greater than the opposition to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

CDfm wrote: »

Article 44 of the Irish Constitution[FONT=Verdana,Verdana][FONT=Verdana,Verdana]
    2° The State guarantees not to endow any religion.
    [/FONT][/FONT]

RTÉ are a state broadcaster.

The Angelus is an endowment, or does the church pay for this transmission? If not, why do we not also have:

Article 44 of the Irish Constitution

2° The State guarantees not to endow any religion.

Theres your answer -Catholicism isn't just any religion:D

Theres your answer -Catholicism isn't just any religion:D

Game, set and match, Flamed Diving.

Game, set and match, Flamed Diving.

See below - checkmate
    EVENING

18:00
    The Angelus
    (Factual)
    http://listings.wicklowpeople.ie/tv-radio/tv/1

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

(Factual)
    wtf?!

Dades wrote: »
    wtf?!

i thought that was a nice touch:)

At least they have a sense of humour down at RTÉ.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

At least they have a sense of humour down at RTÉ.
    It is factual, the angelus bell is actually ringing. They aren't making the bell up so it's factual.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Antbert

Well it shouldn't be! That's the whole point! It shouldn't be representative because the state is not supposed to endow any religion. The fact that it MAY (though I extremely doubt it) have majority support (indifference does not equal support) shouldn't matter.

Kudos on the factual argument though.

• Advertisement

Antbert wrote: »
    Well it shouldn't be! That's the whole point! It shouldn't be representative because the state is not supposed to endow any religion.

Kudos on the factual argument though.

I see both sides.

I imagine the legislation that created RTE has it formated as a semi-state company and that its board is independent - justifies its stance and in that way its not the state.

I wouldnt watch RTE - g/f tuned in to the Apprentice and it was embarressingly bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

RTÉ are a state broadcaster.

The Angelus is an endowment, or does the church pay for this transmission? If not, why do we not also have:

I think there's a tab bit of difference between the above and the Angelus! If the Muslim call to prayer was shown on TV, I wouldn't exactly welcome it but nor would I care too much, as just like the Angelus, I can simply switch it off.
    However, I would object to it being broadcast outside as it is extremely noisy and distracting!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Splendour wrote: »
    I think there's a tab bit of difference between the above and the Angelus! If the Muslim call to prayer was shown on TV, I wouldn't exactly welcome it but nor would I care too much, as just like the Angelus, I can simply switch it off.
    However, I would object to it being broadcast outside as it is extremely noisy and distracting!

BONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!

A natural atheist reaction on discovering that the word Goodbye is a truncated version of the phrase " God-be-with-you" (true)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

A natural atheist reaction on discovering that the word Goodbye is a truncated version of the phrase " God-be-with-you" (true)

Neat, but not entirely sure what it has to do with anything...

Words often move far from their roots. The Texan "So long" comes from the Irish "slán."

Neat, but not entirely sure what it has to do with anything...

Me neither but it seemed to fit:rolleyes:

I think there's a tab bit of difference between the above and the Angelus!

No, there isn't really. That is kinda the point.

Eh,are you aka Quasimodo?!!

No, there isn't really. That is kinda the point.

On TV there isn't. Broadcast publicly, there is...

On TV there isn't. Broadcast publicly, there is...

What is the difference between the two? You do realise that broadcasting on a public TV channel is what we are discussing here?

Think.

• Advertisement

What is the difference between the two? You do realise that broadcasting on a public TV channel is what we are discussing here?

Think.

All TV & radio broadcasting is licenced and regulated in some way.

All TV & radio broadcasting is licenced and regulated in some way.

Good to know.

Good to know.

I just wonder what conditions are attatched to the licences on broadcasting religion or how it operates.

Well, it appears that the government directly issues RTÉ's charter:

http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/Press+Releases/2004/Dermot+Ahern+Publishes+RTE+Charter.htm

Disappointingly, many of the links on that site are broken...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭MetalDawg

Everytime I hear the Angelus bell start, I air guitar to AC/DC's "Hells Bells" or Metallica's "For Whom the Bell Tolls" just for sh*ts and giggles. :D:D:D

Think.

Think- it was you who brought up the Islamic call to prayer; outdoor public broadcasting that is.

Think- it was you who brought up the Islamic call to prayer; outdoor public broadcasting that is.

Splendour. I provided a televised broadcast of the Adhan. TV, Splendour. TV. I don't care about whether it is performed in public space. We are talking about TV, Splendour. In particular, we are talking about the state broadcaster, RTÉ. TV, Splendour. TV. Broadcasting just one particular religious ceremony on state TV is positive discrimination, Splendour. TV. Not what happens in public space. TV. TV.

Stop pretending that you don't get this. It's ridiculous.

Splendour. I provided a televised broadcast of the Adhan. TV, Splendour. TV. I don't care about whether it is performed in public space. We are talking about TV, Splendour. In particular, we are talking about the state broadcaster, RTÉ. TV, Splendour. TV.

Here is a link to a history of the events http://www.rte.ie/laweb/brc/brc_1950s_a.html

The Angelus was first broadcast in 1950 , the Government in Power was a coalition and included Noel Browne as Minister for Health and an atheist.

Here is a link to a history of the events http://www.rte.ie/laweb/brc/brc_1950s_a.html

The Angelus was first broadcast in 1950 , the Government in Power was a coalition and included Noel Browne as Minister for Health and an atheist.

Interesting, so the Angelus was put in place before the amendment to the constitution which removed the Roman Catholic Churchs position of dominance in Irish society. Therefore, it is a hangover of less enlightened period in Irish history. Now that we live in a society with a great many beliefs, surely now is the time to begin rolling back these relics of antiquity. Or should we continue with the discrimination?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

I think there's a huge difference between calling people to prayer from a PLACE OF WORSHIP, and calling people to prayer on a PUBLIC TELEVISION CHANNEL. I don't care what channel it is, if it trying to remain unbiased, and sympathetic to all religions, and is funded by OUR TV LICENCES, then it should be removed. Simple as that.

Advertisement