Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leather Suite

Options
  • 03-09-2009 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭

We bought a leather suite from Reids in November 2008. Just noticed that on the settee where you rest your head a patch has appeared which is much lighter than the rest of the settee. Obviously the oils in my hair (or whats left of it) have affected the dye in the leather.
    We didn't take out insurance when buying the suite, but I'm wondering if we might have a case under the Sale of Goods Act as it shouldn't have discoloured so quickly.
    Anyone any opinions on this?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

You sit on it every day, what were you expecting?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭brian076

You sit on it every day, what were you expecting?

I don't actually sit on it every day, but even if I did i wouldn't expect a patch to develop within 10 months. We have a 2 seater setee in another room which we bought in Land of leather 6 years ago and there's no marks on it and I'd use this far more often than the newer one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Have you tried cleaning the sofa with a good leather cleaner followed with a leather cream?

Also you might find the leather has dulled a little from abrasion giving it a slightly different sheen, you'd be surprised how much your head rubs against the seatback. Other common high-wear spots are arm rests and the front edge of the seat just behind your knees.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭brian076

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Have you tried cleaning the sofa with a good leather cleaner followed with a leather cream?

Also you might find the leather has dulled a little from abrasion giving it a slightly different sheen, you'd be surprised how much your head rubs against the seatback. Other common high-wear spots are arm rests and the front edge of the seat just behind your knees.

Yes I tried cleaning it with leather cleaner but it made no diferrence. It just looks like a layer of dye has worn away. I'd say I wouldn't have sat on this part of the setee more than 20 times since we got it, as I'd usually use the armchair, which is fine, or the setee in the other room which is completely free of any marks.

Advertisement