Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about a bus stop that's not on a bus route..

Options
  • 03-09-2009 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭

Okay, this may only make sense to those living on the east side of the city. Bear with me on this one.

There is a Bus Eireann bus stop, and has been for years, on the road heading towards Ballybrit from town (the road running parallel to the dual carriageway). It is across the Road from Windsor Motors and the New Life Centre church. It is opposite the bus stop that lets people off before the bus continues up towards Ballybrit.

No bus service AFAIK serves that route INTO town.I have been on the Ballybrit/Parkmore bus for the best part of 9 years and that stop has never been serviced. They put up a brand new bus shelter two years ago too.

Help me. What's it there for??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

I think its the work bus in the mornings [circa 7.30am] for the big factories...

probably hasn't been used because we're all out of jobs :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

This sound like a job for JustMary. :cool: I hear if you say her name in the mirror 3 times she will appear behind you and tell you all you need to know about Galway transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

school bus maybe ??

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I've taken a bus from there several years ago when I lived up there, it's on Monivea Rd at the centre of this pic?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Similar to the bus stop on Dominick Street near the little newsagents (O'Flaherty's???).

It used to be a stop for the Number 1 bus to Salthill but is defunct since the onset of pedestrianization caused that route to be rerouted via the Docks and Spanish Arch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

ErnieBert wrote: »
    Similar to the bus stop on Dominick Street near the little newsagents (O'Flaherty's???).

It used to be a stop for the Number 1 bus to Salthill but is defunct since the onset of pedestrianization caused that route to be rerouted via the Docks and Spanish Arch.

I think City Direct still use that one.

jenno86 wrote: »
    This sound like a job for JustMary. :cool: I hear if you say her name in the mirror 3 times she will appear behind you and tell you all you need to know about Galway transport.

;)

Thanks for the compliment .. but this one has me stumped.

I think (back when I was a lot newer to Galway) that I may have even stood at the bus stop for 20 minutes, not knowing the timetable but hoping that one would appear. There was another guy there before me, so I assume he was there because he knew one was coming. Oh silly me.

My best guess is the factory runs that someone mentioned, but I've never actually been on 'em so don't know exactly where they go. (If anyone can help with that, btw, please PM me. I hate having an empty map ...)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I was actually wondering about this only a couple of weeks ago - especially since it has a bus shelter and the very popular stop at McGreals doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

I've always wondered about the one by the Pres secondary, I've never seen a bus go down that way

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Well see what puzzles me is that even if it is a work bus, the bus runs into a bit of bother at the junction in Ballybane, having to take the slip road OR the road up the Ballybane road..which wouldn't make much sense going to town..

Main thing that annoys me about that stop is how it has a lovely nice shelter where all the other stops on the route in Ballybrit/Castlepark don't...

The mystery of certain bus shelters...:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

The ballybrit bus(8) and the Parkmore/Doughiska (9) bus are two different routes.

I think that's the Ballybrit bus stop going back into town, it's terminal is just before the roundabout at the Briarhill Dunnes, on the same side of the Monivea road as the stop you're describing, only opposite the Clayton hotel.

Unless the whole system has changed since I caught that bus...mmm

Greaney wrote: »
    I think that's the Ballybrit bus stop going back into town, it's terminal is just before the roundabout at the Briarhill Dunnes, on the same side of the Monivea road as the stop you're describing, only opposite the Clayton hotel.

Unless the whole system has changed since I caught that bus...mmm

Nope: the Ballybrit on the way back in to town does a loop through Castlepark, so doesn't go that far down Monivea Rd.

That's another possibility though: I know that pre Jan 08, #3 and #9 did different things to today. Not quite sure what though ... maybe some buses did go back down the whole of Monivea Rd then.

Advertisement