Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photo of the week - Week #9 :: 17th August - 23rd August, 2009

• 03-09-2009 11:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭

5F902C2095AF4ED099E2A22ED59098DA-800.jpg

Credit: Morrisseeee

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

Well done Morisseee, nice shot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Agree, great shot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Good shot you should create a sig that the winner is entitled to use for a week, like a photographic yellow jersey.

just wondering what the criteria for this is, is it a straight count of the thanks a pic recieves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

Good shot you should create a sig that the winner is entitled to use for a week, like a photographic yellow jersey.

just wondering what the criteria for this is, is it a straight count of the thanks a pic recieves?

Yes, most thanks in the random thread in the specified time period I think.

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    It came from the spendid ideas thread - towards the end the mechanism of selection is covered.

IDEA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

^^^^^^^^ As Tallon says.

Largely its based on the popular vote (thanks) of the forum members with a few exceptions as detailed in the links which Tallon posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,610 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Well done :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Yeah, lovely shot, well done :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Well done Morisseee. Exceptional shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^ As Tallon says.

Largely its based on the popular vote (thanks) of the forum members with a few exceptions as detailed in the links which Tallon posted.

So in this case where there was 2 pics in the original post how do you know which one was being thanked?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

So in this case where there was 2 pics in the original post how do you know which one was being thanked?

You don't/can't. It's never going to be perfect in that regard.

As stated in the linked ideas threads above, the moderator(s) then intervene and choose when the outcome is unclear or if there is a tie.

It would be really helpful in that regard if people when posting to the random thread would do a single image per post (but not obligatory obviously).

Not obligatory yes, but the rules do state
    * Try keep to one or two images per post. Then allow some more people to post, then feel free to post again. Do this as often as you like!

And it is after all a random 'photo' thread, not photos.

I find it hard to thank pictures in it anymore as I like one but not the other

I strongly believe people should post one per post

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭mrs moneypenny

Well done. Lovely photo. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Wow, thanks everyone, am I now an "Award(less) winning Amateur Photographer" ? :o:D
    Just looking back on the photo, I think I was 'just' the winner, an honourable mention must go to "eas" http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055633817&page=58

The other photo in the thread was :
    45AD5DAE137B445F890BF40230EDC7AC-800.jpg
    /can you count ALL the bales ? !! :eek:

I posted the 2 photos (in original Random thread) in a 'before' & 'after' kinda way, before the barley/corn is cut, and after its 'processed'!!

Setup: I used an old manual Nikon lens, 135mm 3.5, for both photos. For the photo at the top of the page, I took it early(ish) in the morning, I took a low angle (thru a gate) and a low number aperture (either 3.5 or 5.6 :o, can't remember) and focussed on a few 'heads of corn' in the distance, its a small crop of a larger photo.

Advertisement