Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help-i dont know what im at here!

Options
  • 03-09-2009 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭

Hey all. Just bought a new Compaq Pressario laptop there this evening. Have an old Dell PC thats connected to the NTL network by a dongle thingy and a router in the other room. Its working fine, but i cant for the life of me connect the laptop when i use the dongle on it. The guy in the shop just said click the bottom right corner with the 2 little computer symbols. Its saying its connected to my network (UPC) but not the net.

Anyone any ideas? The message below reads:
    "This might be caused by an incorrect WEP key or low signal strength"

The signal strength seems ok, but i dont know what a WEP Key is if anyone can enlighten me.Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

the WEP key is the password to connect to the network. Some routers have the WEP key print on it somewhere so see if its on the router itself. If not you can check the WEP key usually by logging into the router. You do this by entering the IP for the main computer, usually something like 192.168.1.1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Rosco_Weird

If you are with eircom ,try 192.168.1.254

then go to the wireless and you're looking for the encryption Key

mine is 26 digits long,so it could be just as long.

when you try to connect to the network,and it asks for network key,or any form of key,thats the key its looking for

Advertisement