Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting a cat

Options
  • 04-09-2009 12:06am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

id love to get a cat, ive been thinking about it recently with all the creepy crawlies around, lol. anyway, i have a dog, who mostly lives outside, barks at the neighbours cats but ive no idea what she would be like around a cat living in our home,shes a softie and good with my toddler, how would i go about this??? would i be better off getting an older cat( ive seen a lovely year old cat) or a kitten who gets to know the dog from an early age? any advice appreciated, ive always had cats in the family, but not by myself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭sweetnjuicy

Hey,
    If you are living in or near enough to cork please give annefitzy a shout.

She works for the Animal care society in Cork and has aload of cats and kittens to rehome right now.
    She can also give you info on what would be best for you.
    Even if you live up the country still get in contact with her because they home cats all over the country.
    But be prepared for a home check first.

If you want her number PM me or just PM her.

Please

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭pearljamfan

thanks! im in kildare but i was looking @ the irish animals site +they have alot too. i dont mind a house check, what shud i expect??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Cats are cool - I had 5 kittens 2 weeks ago - Rehomed 3 and keeping 2 now - ive always had cats and dogs too, the do fight but after a few days they should start to play and be friends.

Get a kittie!!

what happens if my dog doesnt like the kitty??

also, how do i go about settling in a new cat? we always confined them to a couple of rooms while they got used to the place, is that the right way to go about things??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

What type of dog is it, funnily enough the bigger dogs get on better with cats than small dogs such as jack russels etc.

Try and cage the dog and let the cat/kitten observe your dog for awhile knowing it can't attack it, thats usually the best way.

• Advertisement

its some kind of labrador cross, shes a good girl, have had her since she was a baby and is now nearly 7 years old...very good with my little boy, not snappy or rough. i think shed be ok, but id be worried if she didnt settle in, and have to give the kitty up :(

Advertisement