Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ubuntu lamp permissions

• 04-09-2009 12:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

I cannot save nor edit anything in my www folder, could anyone tell me the terminal commands to change the permission to the administrator? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Belongs in the Unix forum methinks; but check out chown and chmod. Below is an example for pulling up the man document for chown; you can also to the same for chmod and subsequently decide which one suits your needs.

Alternatively you can google for examples.
    man chown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Moved from programming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

I cannot save nor edit anything in my www folder, could anyone tell me the terminal commands to change the permission to the administrator? thanks
    Do you mean you can't save/edit as root (the administrator), or you need to know how to edit files owned by root?

If it's the former, use chown/chmod as mentioned, if it's the latter use sudo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Marina-anseo2

After much googling i managed it:D i changed the directory to /var and i used chown to change the ownership of /www to the my account name so i could edit and save files to in the www folder... chmod didnt seem to do anything but perhaps i didnt use it correctly.. lamp works perfect now though:) thank you for your help

Advertisement