Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I could 'of'[sic] ignored this but...

• 04-09-2009 2:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭

'I could of...'

Indeed I could have ignored this inept transcription of the spoken words 'I could've...' if I had seen it only once. However, I have seen it several times recently and it makes me cringe :mad::mad::mad:!!!

Is this a new corruption of the English language or has it been around before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭_ZeeK_

Don't come to Galway. This is a popular Galway-ism, along with 'amn't I?'.

'Sure, amn't I only brilliant at speaking English?'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

:confused:

Something wrong with that.... explain, per favore?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I seen what you done there.

The Raven. wrote: »
    'I could of...'

Indeed I could have ignored this inept transcription of the spoken words 'I could've...' if I had seen it only once. However, I have seen it several times recently and it makes me cringe :mad::mad::mad:!!!

It isn't " could of". It's "could've"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

The Raven. wrote: »
    'I could of...'

I think the key point is that it was written in a transcription. Transcribing is mind-numbingly boring, so my guess is that the transcriber's grammar filter switched right off and just let what they heard be written/typed rather than write the grammatically correct form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

It's ridiculously common, I have to beat it (metaphorically) out of first years right up to Leaving Certs. It regularly appears on Leaving Cert exam scripts. It's our pronunciation that does it, infuriating though:mad:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Surely the word amn't is a perfectly good contraction of am not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Alun

humberklog wrote: »
    In Hiberno-English, yes, but try it anywhere else and you'll just get laughed at.

Alun wrote: »
    In Hiberno-English, yes, but try it anywhere else and you'll just get laughed at.

Well in fairness it is being discussed on a .ie domain. However I have come across it being used in Hampshire and Dorset in southern England. It's not used as widespread in England as it is in Ireland nor is it used in all of the same ways as it is in Ireland.
    I was never laughed at when using it there although when I did use it in a context that people from that region wouldn't normally use it I did (and still do) get the odd raised eyebrow.

Well in fairness it is being discussed on a .ie domain. However I have come across it being used in Hampshire and Dorset in southern England. It's not used as widespread in England as it is in Ireland nor is it used in all of the same ways as it is in Ireland.
    I was never laughed at when using it there although when I did use it in a context that people from that region wouldn't normally use it I did (and still do) get the odd raised eyebrow.
    Well, all I can say in my defence is that my family are all from the south west of England, Somerset primarily, and my wife is from Hampshire, and the first time I ever heard or read "amn't" being used was when I moved here.

• Advertisement

I've lived in Southampton region for about 8 years and have a keen ear and friends that just love nothing better than to pull me up on peculiar Irishisms.

I've lived in Southampton region for about 8 years and have a keen ear and friends that just love nothing better than to pull me up on peculiar Irishisms.
    Interesting ... my wife and her family are from Eastleigh and often use "somewhen" and "anywhen" ... have you come across those where you are? She claims those are local to Hampshire, but I'm not sure of this myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

As Alun said, "amn't" is peculiar to Hiberno-English speakers (I've not heard it said outside of Ireland - if you live in Dublin, it's "amn't I noh" :)). The correct interrogative is "Aren't I?".

As to the OP, at least it wasn't written down "Could'a" :)

Alun wrote: »
    Interesting ... my wife and her family are from Eastleigh and often use "somewhen" and "anywhen" ... have you come across those where you are? She claims those are local to Hampshire, but I'm not sure of this myself.

Asked a guy from Eastliegh about this and he says he doesn't use it himself. Can't say it rings a bell myself either.

Example of recently hearing of a Southampton person saying "amn't" :

Me (to a room full of people)- Are we all going to the pub?
    Karen- (Grumpy and making a point to her boyfriend in front of a group) I amn't.

She used it instead of the slightly harsher "I am not" or the more pleasant sounding "I'm not". It was used to be casually dismissive as opposed to being passive aggressive. But her snippyness needed to be aired and naturally chose amn't to make her subtle but firm point.

Advertisement