Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terminating Irish Broadband contract

Options
  • 04-09-2009 5:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭

Later today im going to try and ring in Irish Broadband and cancel my Ripwave contract. Its been more than 12 months. Is there anything I should know before canceling the contract? do I have to return the ripwave modem itself?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

mehmeh12 wrote: »
    Later today im going to try and ring in Irish Broadband and cancel my Ripwave contract. Its been more than 12 months. Is there anything I should know before canceling the contract? do I have to return the ripwave modem itself?
    I think they do ask for it to be returned. I broke my contract two months into it there last year. They refused to cancel it, but I cancelled my debit card and sent their modem back. They offered to have a courier to pick it up, so you should try to avail of that too. I refused, as I moved house in my second month with them and didn't want them to know where I moved to. Haven't heard a thing from them since. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

DECEiFER wrote: »
    I think they do ask for it to be returned. I broke my contract two months into it there last year. They refused to cancel it, but I cancelled my debit card and sent their modem back. They offered to have a courier to pick it up, so you should try to avail of that too. I refused, as I moved house in my second month with them and didn't want them to know where I moved to. Haven't heard a thing from them since. :)

a courier? As in they send someone from the company to pick up the modem? did you send everything back? im tempted to keep the ethernet cable-could come in handy for my current modem!

a courier? As in they send someone from the company to pick up the modem? did you send everything back? im tempted to keep the ethernet cable-could come in handy for my current modem!
    No, I think I kept that. :P

But it's not as if they could have disputed it with me. I didn't tell them where I'd moved to and I cancelled my debit card, so they couldn't take my money or contact me (didn't give them my mobile number when I signed up, either), because they still continued to send me bills by email after that.

I even found the Driver CD a few weeks back, which I didn't mean to keep. I just shoved in the modem and adapter plug and sent it back as cheap as possible through An Post. Still cost me nearish to a tenner.

They did offer to send a courier, possibly a third-party company or their own couriers, to come and pick it up from my door. The deliver it in the same manner, by courier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

They don't send couriers any more, cost cutting I'd imagine - you just need to send back the modem and plug, I don't think they care about the cable to be honest!

Jev/N wrote: »
    They don't send couriers any more, cost cutting I'd imagine - you just need to send back the modem and plug, I don't think they care about the cable to be honest!
    They do enough of that with their lack of bandwidth! Tell them if they want their modem back so badly, they will have to collect it, as I'd imagine (no pun intended) that it says nowhere that you'd have to foot the postal bill for sending it back.

I think they were pre-Imagine when I was with them, so maybe things changed when they were bought out.

• Advertisement

Yeh i definitely don't want to pay postage for the modem..even if i go cheap-say unregistered post it'll probably set me back at least ten euro-for a service i am canceling-what the ****? do i have to return the modem-i paid 75e at the start..hate Irish broadband with their ****ty dial up service :mad:

Yeh i definitely don't want to pay postage for the modem..even if i go cheap-say unregistered post it'll probably set me back at least ten euro-for a service i am canceling-what the ****? do i have to return the modem-i paid 75e at the start..hate Irish broadband with their ****ty dial up service :mad:
    Yeah man, don't send it to them if they make you pay. They're hardly going to call the Gardaí or send someone out to your house to break your legs.

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Yeah man, don't send it to them if they make you pay. They're hardly going to call the Gardaí or send someone out to your house to break your legs.

I really hope they do send someone to my house- i just want to end every connection i have to this company.

I really hope they do send someone to my house- i just want to end every connection i have to this company.
    Tell you what. Ask them to send a courier. If they refuse, challenge them to find in their T&C's where there's any reference to the customer having to send the modem back out the customer's pocket. If they find that, and you're satisfied that it's the truth, then send it back. Otherwise, you haven't any obligation and they have no legal right to keep pestering you about it. Connection severed. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Tell them you're leaving it on the doorstep, and they can collect it any time they want. If someone else steels it, then that's their problem. Probably won't work, and I wouldn't suggest you actually leave it outside, but you could see if they agree to send someone to collect it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

From some info on the Cable TV forum about UPC, you might have an issue with not giving it back as customers of UPC at least have been charged a fine for delay in returning the box. Don't know if it's the same for IBB but it probably says somewhere in the T'S & C'S

Advertisement