Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

T.Y. Gaeilge

• 04-09-2009 8:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭

Up since 6 trying to come up with ideas to inspire my T.Y.s. So far...not getting too far. I'll explain. I've had T.Y. before, loved it! Have a lovely group again this year but rather than just the creme de la creme doing it many week students are doing it. I've been asked not to just teach the language, a lot of English will have to be encorporated. I've a few ideas but not too many...kind of cultural ideas, national anthem, surnames, placenames, national sports, cooking Irish food...I want something inspirational today though!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

projects are great, the kids love them and allow them to work in pairs or groups, especially if one is not good at Irish but can do others things quite well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

The Irish teacher in my school got a set dancing/ceili dancing teacher in for a day last year, I think it was for Seachtain na Gaeilge and it ended up being a whole school thing, the classes were taken in year groups to gym and had about 2 hours of dancing. They all loved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

TheDriver wrote: »
    projects are great, the kids love them and allow them to work in pairs or groups, especially if one is not good at Irish but can do others things quite well.
    Lies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Namlub wrote: »
    Lies.

MY students love them. Sorry for expressing my opinion.:confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

TheDriver wrote: »
    MY students love them. Sorry for expressing my opinion.:confused:

My students love them too.
    Projects are one of those things those that don't do them think are really difficult to organise.

Re TY...is your school a promoter of cross-curricular activities?
    My street/town/village when my granny/grandad was young (as gaeilge). Lots of photos, both now and then, old adverts from papers and trade directories (the local library will have these). Old accounts of gaelic matches, stories from old people in the area. Go even further back and check out the 1911 census. How many of their relatives listed in 1911 stated they could speak Irish? I could go on - endless possibilities.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭pjtb

spurious wrote: »
    Go even further back and check out the 1911 census. How many of their relatives listed in 1911 stated they could speak Irish? I could go on - endless possibilities.

This is a really good idea. I'm not much older than someone in TY would be...so would have similar interests... spent ages looking at documents from the 1911 census this morning. Seeing who spoke Irish is a good one. A link to Peig Sayers' census entry is on the homepage at http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 gunbarrel

How about involving them in a project about their area. They could be required to inform people about their town and could use Vicipeid (Wikipedia as Gaeilge), Youtube or even have a presentation of some sort where they bring the language into the community.

Advertisement