Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query works in MySQL 4 but not v5

Options
  • 04-09-2009 9:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭

I have just moved a client site to a new server and it has MySQL 5. The old server had v4.
    SELECT T.lineage, B.name AS country, A.name AS location
    FROM location_tree AS T, locations AS B
    INNER JOIN locations AS A ON A.location_id = T.location_id
    INNER JOIN location_tree AS U ON B.location_id = U.location_id
    WHERE T.node ='2273' AND U.depth ='2'
    AND FIND_IN_SET( B.location_id, CONCAT(T.lineage,T.node))

This works in MySQL v4 and returns 3 fields, something like:
    1,3,789,799,2159,  - USA - Charlotte Harbor Area

In MySQL v5.051a it generates an error:
    #1054 - Unknown column 'T.location_id' in 'on clause'

I did notice a warning in the phpMyAdmin interface about the PHP MySQL library version:
    Your PHP MySQL library version 4.1.21 differs from your MySQL server version 5.0.51a. This may cause unpredictable behavior.

The server is PHP 5.2.5, but the MySQL library is only 4.1.21 - is this a red flag?

Edit: I am asking here before contacting the hosting support because I am not confident that they will know the answer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Hi. don't mean to be simplifying this too much but it appears that you are using 2 separate databases and that they may not be synchronised in terms of data. Error states that a column you referenced is invalid. Have you checked the views/tables?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭daymobrew

E39MSport wrote: »
    Hi. don't mean to be simplifying this too much but it appears that you are using 2 separate databases and that they may not be synchronised in terms of data. Error states that a column you referenced is invalid. Have you checked the views/tables?
    There is no harm in asking the basics.

Yes, the dbs are on different machines. I copied the data via phpMyAdmin Export to SQL as file and import on the other side. No errors reported.
    I have run other scripts against this table without an issue.
    I have checked the table structures and they are the same (except for collation on 1 column on v5 db).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Hiya.
    I had a quick bit of googlage and found this. Looks like your not the only one to have similar issues.
    http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,4654

E39MSport wrote: »
    Hiya.
    I had a quick bit of googlage and found this. Looks like your not the only one to have similar issues.
    http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,4654
    Thanks for this. While the site is not osCommerce, that page gave me the idea to search the MySQL bug db. I found a bug which told me to put round brackets around parts of my query and this fixed it. Apparently MySQL was changed to make it more compliant with SQL:2003.

Here are my changes, in case it is of use to someone else.

I added brackets around the FROM and ON parameters.
    SELECT T.lineage, B.name AS country, A.name AS location
    FROM [COLOR="Red"]([/COLOR]location_tree AS T, locations AS B[COLOR="Red"])[/COLOR]
    INNER JOIN locations AS A ON [COLOR="Red"]([/COLOR]A.location_id = T.location_id[COLOR="Red"])[/COLOR]
    INNER JOIN location_tree AS U ON [COLOR="Red"]([/COLOR]B.location_id = U.location_id[COLOR="Red"])[/COLOR]
    WHERE T.node ='2273' AND U.depth ='2'
    AND FIND_IN_SET( B.location_id, CONCAT(T.lineage,T.node))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Interesting, I would have never guessed that. Thanks for the info.

Advertisement