Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat Fleas

Options
  • 04-09-2009 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

My cat has a bad case of fleas. It started a few weeks ago, so we got a flea repellent. But it just got worse. She has a few sores on her now and she's bleeding a bit. Its mostly cleared up on her back but they seem to have moved onto her legs!!
    Is there a wash or something I can get. I got the small tiny bottle of flea repellent but I know it wont do any good.
    Also does anyone know what time petland on Camden st is open. Im not sure what stuff they have there but I was down there at 10am this morning and it was closed!!! Ive got about 6 cats and not one of them had fleas before!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭kazza90210

Go to your local vet and get advanage or advocate, the stuffs expensive but will work a treat! its just little vials that you put on the back of your cats necks and will cover them for a month, worth the money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

kazza90210 wrote: »
    Go to your local vet and get advanage or advocate, the stuffs expensive but will work a treat! its just little vials that you put on the back of your cats necks and will cover them for a month, worth the money

yea I use that on my cats every month. The vet was telling me theres fleas everywhere this year. a lot of cats have them

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Treat all six cats with a spot-on de-fleaing like Advantage or Advocate. Wash all bedding thoroughly and hoover all areas the cats spend time. You can check for fleas early by rummaging in the fur around the back of the base of the ears and the neck. If the cat has fleas you'll find some black dirt. Get some of it and put it on a tissue, and wet it - it'll turn red because flea poo is full of blood.

You may be better buying a spot-on flea AND worm treatment, as the two infestations can be linked. Ask at the pet store for what they have. Also keep an eye on the cats to prevent them grooming each other for 24 hours after you've used the spot-on - it won't poison them, but it can cause them to foam around the mouth rather disturbingly if they lick it off each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Agree, better off using something like advocate or advantage or stronghold ( I think there's a stronghold spray for cats that might work out cheaper than individual tubes of stuff but check with vet).

It is expensive but it's worth every penny some deal with worms as well and other parasites and usually you don't have to do it every month although that's what they recommend on some. I don't like to over do it on the chemicals so I treat the dogs every other month or so depending.

Some animals can have reactions to the sprays drops sounds like your cat has had an allergic reaction to the spray you're using.
    I think it might be best to take the cat to the vet before using anything else anyway she might need something to help with the itch and sores.

Advertisement