Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting reference off lecturer who does not know you?

Options
  • 04-09-2009 10:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I'm looking for a job at the moment, and am a little short on references (though I should be able to muster up 2 or 3), so it would be handy if I could have one from a lecturer in the college.

Problem is I barely knew any of my lecturers :confused: I've had very little interaction with them, just the odd chat in a seminar or two. So I doubt they'd be too keen to give me any kind of reference based solely on grades/coursework.

Has anyone managed to do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Dave! wrote: »
    Problem is I barely knew any of my lecturers :confused: I've had very little interaction with them, just the odd chat in a seminar or two. So I doubt they'd be too keen to give me any kind of reference based solely on grades/coursework.

I think you are probably flat out of luck. Anyone reading this take this as a recommendation - interact with your lecturers! It will stand to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Lol. No you would have had to have been involved with your lecturer in order to get a reference.

Not in a sexy way mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

it's worth a shot. lecturers have more access to your personal file than you think they do. and they might get curious about that student who hasn't approached them...

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Ghostswimmer

I agree, give it a try. It depends on which school/subject you were in. Our subject department used to keep a record of its students so when a final year person came looking for an academic reference, they were able to give them one. Most people that have done final year need to do a thesis/project of some type (well in science side anyway). So, usually then one will have been supervised by someone. The supervisors can also be a source of contact. Worth a shot though. What's worst they can say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Well, I kind of got a reference from a lecturer and I hand't interacted with her before. However it was only a reference for a Masters within her School. and I also think she only gave it to me because she enjoyed a presentation I did in class (and she said it would a great thesis topic).

I don't know man, it's worth a shot. Just don't be surprised if you get a smart ass response. ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement