Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superquinn pricing

Options
  • 04-09-2009 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭

Just noticed some bizarre pricing in Superquinn (Blackrock).

For the last few weeks, 2 x 2L of Coke/Diet Coke/Coke Zero have been 3.35, with a single 2L at 1.99.

Coke Zero is now 4.05 for 2, or 1.99 each
    Coke is 1.80 or so each, and about 3.85 for 2.
    I think Diet Coke is the same. Great bargains there. :rolleyes:

That's on the SELs.

Meanwhile, they have a larger sign attached to the shelf reading "Coke/Diet Coke 2 for 3.50, save 48c" - except that they're not 1.99 each, and according to the SELs they're not 3.50 for two.

I know this kind of thing has come up before, but I think it's worth pointing out again that a remarkable amount of the time these "Buy 2 for xxx" or buy a 12-pack instead of three 4-packs (especially on kitchen/toilet roll) actually end up costing you more - it's always worth checking the individual/smaller pack to see which option is cheaper.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭mixer101

Typical of the standard in Superquinn nowadays. :(

Definition of Futility ... Try and locate someone working in Superquinn that actually cares about stuff like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I see similar in Tesco all the time. A 6 pack of Cadburys Snack costs one price, then you have the "bumper value" 12 pack for another price. Under each one is a price per kg, and invariably the bumper value is more expensive per kg than the regular 6 pack. It might only be a couple of cents, but you should always check the price per kg or per litre before buying multi-pack offers. Sometimes it is a good deal, other times it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

I actually went shopping in Superquinn Blackrock the other day, and thought the prices on some of their things were quite expensive.

E.g. I wanted to buy the 1750ml Tropicana OJ
    I usually buy it from my local EuroSpar for €3 but thought I'd stock up on it while I was at an actual grocery store. The price quoted in SQ was much higher... something like €4 (I can't exactly remember)... anyway, needless to say I didn't buy the item.

I was quite surprised to learn that my local EURO SPAR is cheaper than SUPERQUINN!!! :eek: Who'd have ever thought that a convenient store could beat a grocery store!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

MOH wrote: »
    I know this kind of thing has come up before...
    it's always worth checking the individual/smaller pack to see which option is cheaper.
    Yes, its always been the case, but it is happening more nowadays, I do remember it 25+years ago when I was a kid, I was always calculating stuff in my head like that and spotted a fair few.
    mixer101 wrote: »
    Typical of the standard in Superquinn nowadays. :(

Definition of Futility ... Try and locate someone working in Superquinn that actually cares about stuff like this.
    Not sure what you mean by "standard", or caring about "stuff like this", there is nothing wrong with what they are doing in the slightest, and they are probably well aware of what they are doing. Its not like there is some law/rule/guideline saying "if you sell in bulk it must be cheaper", and if you go around any supermarket you will certainly see very few do follow this "rule" even if people think they should.

If you are overpaying its your own fault, and thanks! I get my stuff cheaper because of you ;)

And like the poster above I have seen plenty of stuff cheaper in eurospar, supervalue and centra these days compared to tesco or dunnes. There are lots of lossleaders out there now, you just have to spot them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I noticed this with tins of cat food. A 12 can pack was more expensive than buying them individually (by about 50c). I pointed it out to a manager. They did reduce the price subsequently but it was probably down to the overall price cuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Kinda related but if you use Superscan in Superquinn check your receipt each time as I have lost count of the times I have had to go back to get refunds for special deals such as 3.49 each or 2 for 5.00. The seem to only reflect some of the deals on the shelves on the scanning system. Happens a lot with the wine reductions as well which adds up very quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

kenco wrote: »
    Kinda related but if you use Superscan in Superquinn check your receipt each time as I have lost count of the times I have had to go back to get refunds for special deals such as 3.49 each or 2 for 5.00. The seem to only reflect some of the deals on the shelves on the scanning system. Happens a lot with the wine reductions as well which adds up very quickly

A lot of the reductions don't appear until you have the total for your bill

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

kenco wrote: »
    The seem to only reflect some of the deals on the shelves on the scanning system.

I've been using the self scan for over a year now. This has not happenned to me yet. Occasionally, I read the reciept and think that I haven't got the discount, only to discover it at the end of the reciept.

I do regularly scan things twice and not realise until I'm home. Quite annoying.

Advertisement