Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Combining broadband sources... confused!!

Options
  • 04-09-2009 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

I want to be able to combine broadband from two sources. For example, have an eircom broadband service and digiweb too, but combine them. This should give me greater bandwidth and give me a failsafe in case either service fails.

The trouble is I don't know how to go about it and also that I need a fixed IP address for my server.

This is a new (ad)venture so nothing is set up yet. I just need advice on products and how to go about it.

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

This is not something you can do easily, or cheaply, and if you don't know what you're doing, you're best to stay away from it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You can get a load balancing ( uses both) or a failover ( uses one if available , otherwise the other) router .

D Link are out of the market..maybe look at one of these lads here.

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopSearch.asp?CategoryID=48

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

This is a good explanation of the load balancing and bonding, and what you'd need.

To truly join the connections requires ISP support, and since you're using two different ISPs, that's not going to happen.

Here's an article about load balancing with Linux.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Its your eircom and digiweb connection are both ADSL its not much of a failsafe as the likelyhood of eircom going down same time as digiweb due to PSTN issue, exchange issue etc is very high.

Of course if its eircom ADSL and digiweb wireless thats a different story ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

What are you using it for, if it's just for torrenting then Vuze has load balancing built in and it works quite well. If it's for general purpose internet stuff then you're best off going the hardware route as already mentioned.

• Advertisement

You should not bond 2 ADSL lines for the reasons Cabaal gave. Pointless and expensive.

1 ADSL and 1 Wireless is best .

For complete route diversity I recommend Eircom DSL or BT DSL and then Digiweb Metro or IBB Breeze wireless in urban areas.

Then the ESB goes :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 chopley

hobnob101 wrote: »
    I want to be able to combine broadband from two sources. For example, have an eircom broadband service and digiweb too, but combine them. This should give me greater bandwidth and give me a failsafe in case either service fails.

The trouble is I don't know how to go about it and also that I need a fixed IP address for my server.

This is a new (ad)venture so nothing is set up yet. I just need advice on products and how to go about it.

Cheers!

Maybe this is of some use: http://www.firebrick.co.uk/products_105_bondingfaq.php

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Then the ESB goes :D

Could always get a UPS for that, course depending on what you have running off it a standard UPS may only give you between a few seconds or a few min ;)

If you have 2 routes into a hosted Win 2003 or 2008 server from your gaff then you can run 1 x Vpn on each route but bond the 2 vpns on the server with RRAS and get extra usable bandwidth, particularly on the uplink .

That works quite well .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Some useful info here and here should help explain what you can and can't do with a few off the self boxes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement