Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Male grooming products

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

Fajitas! wrote: »
    I'm sure you've all seen the Wii Pii?

Yep :D And the Wii **** :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dNU81Hp2Kw

Off topic, I do apologise. But couldn't resist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

... Don't show Will, he'll try to get around No Fap September by virtually getting himself off! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I've used hair gel maybe ten times in my life, never used moisturiser or aftershave. I don't give a **** about my appearance and usually shave once a month with clippers that are meant to be used on the head, even though I should shave every day with the growth rate. Only toiletries I'd generally use are deoderant and some facial scrub stuff which I use all over, saves a lot of other hassle.

Oh yeah, I've used a beard comb more than once. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

I should fess up.

I got spots around 12 months or so ago and got an exfoliant, moisturoiser etc.Its great.

A recent gift was a charcoal and sugar based cleanser from Lush called Dark Angels.So I have all the gear and my daughter borrows stuff from me when she runs out.

Lots of guys use stuff - and if you want to be spotty with blemishes and flakey skin you don't. If you have dandruff you get an anti dandruff shampoo.

A tip- if you exfoliate or use a cleanser get a toner to close the pores like witch-hazel and its surprisingly cheap. 10 euro of stuff lasts ages.

The other thing is girls like it. My teenage son gets comments from girls like you have lovely skin and he is convinced they do notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Didn't you hear Pika?

He broke! Get with the Twitter.

/back on topic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

A handy tip for those who suffer with dry hands, clapped skin on hands, a mild form of eczema or who just generally want soft smooth hands.
    Mix Sugar & Glucose together in a small bowel. Rub firmly into hands on a daily basics for nice smooth soft hands. :D

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Didn't you hear Pika?

He broke!

What a nail.

Now thats bad:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

CDfm wrote: »
    A recent gift was a charcoal and sugar based cleanser from Lush called Dark Angels.So I have all the gear and my daughter borrows stuff from me when she runs out.

:eek: I am both shocked and impressed! Never met a man who admitted to using Lush products before :) Question is - will you go buy more when it runs out?! :pac::D:p

Hah. Lushes shower gels are fantastic. I prefer Molton Brown, but there ain't nothing wrong with Lush.

I'd always get my mum one of their gift sets along with another present for her birthday, knowing there'd be some bits and pieces I could nick.

shellyboo wrote: »
    :eek: I am both shocked and impressed! Never met a man who admitted to using Lush products before :) Question is - will you go buy more when it runs out?! :pac::D:p

Probably -its quite good.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Is that the smelly place beside Trinity?

Dord wrote: »
    Is that the smelly place beside Trinity?

Thats it.

Go in if you think your hard enough

Thats it.

Tellya, takes a man with real balls to go and shop in there! It's the girliest place on earth :)

Thats it.

Been in there before, an ex dragged me in. I hate walking by that place let alone walking in. The smell almost makes me sick.

The smell outside is much worse than inside :) It's the bath bombs that are really uber-fragrant, and they're right beside the door for that very reason! Once you get past them it's fine... I find, anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Terodil

shellyboo wrote: »
    The smell outside is much worse than inside :) It's the bath bombs that are really uber-fragrant, and they're right beside the door for that very reason! Once you get past them it's fine... I find, anyway!
    That may be because your nose is already deadened by then, which may also explain the sales in the first place :p

Terodil wrote: »
    That may be because your nose is already deadened by then, which may also explain the sales in the first place :p

Lol :) Perhaps! All I know is that *I* smell damn good :)

*veers back on topic*

Er... male grooming rocks?

I think it's that very smell that makes the staff in there go crazy...

Noone is *actually* that happy...

Dord wrote: »
    Been in there before, an ex dragged me in. I hate walking by that place let alone walking in. The smell almost makes me sick.

You have to be comfortable and secure in yourself

Its not for lessor men:p

You have to be comfortable and secure in yourself

Its not for lessor men:p

I am comfortable and secure in myself. I just don't like all that smelly crap. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I think they are totally unnecessary.

They are all based on clever marketing campaigns that instil fear (you wont get the girl/you'll look like sh1t) or promise to make men look great but in reality they do nothing imo.

I wash my face with water, shave with a good quality shaving cream, badger brush and old fashioned safety razor and drink lots of water and I get a lot of complements on my skin. Thats all thats needed, a mans skin should look natural.

I'd also question the practise of lathering unnecessary chemical mixtures onto your face....surely in the long term they couldnt do any good?

I can think of lots of things Id rather spend my money on.

Good for you. But when you have get flaky and oily skin like me, that's just not practical, or indeed attractive. Moisturisers are a must for me.

Ya - some people are fine with soap and water and good luck to them.

Lots of stuff changes how your skin reacts , weather, central heating and even your diet and even ordinary stuff like soap and shampoo have chemicals -normal off the shelf products shampoos and soaps have all kinds of chemicals in them like oil by products etc.

If I am knocking around the city centre for a few days the collars of my shirts get a film of dirt on them (if you put shampoo on them before putting them in the wash it removes the grime).So the stuff works like a household detergent.

What I find is my skin clogs or flakes depending on what I am doing- I am not going to use a household detergent on it.

Now -if Im in bed snuggling up and my hands are smooth and soft after using some handcream whats wrong with that. Manly or what;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I use a blade to shave and fire to burn any impurities off me, I'm a real man after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

My question to you is, do you use any of these products, like a skin mosturiser or facial wash?

If not, why not? And if so, why? - who recommended the range to you, or did you discover it yourself?

I use aftershave balm. Occasionally my face looks like a cheese grinder has been taken to it and I'll moisturise it. That's about it. My wife recommended the "king of shaves" aftershave balm to me and she was bang on. Fup knows how she heard about it but I've learned to trust her and her frightening womanly instincts / knowledge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I use L'Oreal Pure and Matte face scrub and Pure And Matte anti-regreasing gel stuff.

I have a penchant for nice smelling shower gel, i find the Original Source Lime is lovely. I like Lynx Fever too.

I use hair gel on occasion.

I have a shaving brush and i currently use a mixture of palmolive cream and wilkinson soap. I certainly intend to pick up a DE razor in the near future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭injured365

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

As Fajitas and a couple of others mentioned, several of my things are shaving related.

Old spice scented glycerin soap to avoid dryness and sometimes as a preshave.
    Proraso shaving cream
    Standard Nivea moisturising balm

Then some well known facewash - clean & clear I think.
    A moisturiser for the odd bout of drynnes

The rest is bog standard stuff - shampoo, hair "wax",deodarant etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

kpas wrote: »
    Personally I cant wait for th mach 10...

when will it end??:cool:

Warp Factor 5!

Seriously, I've seen the business model 0.0"

Anyhow... that aside.. I'm still using the tonne of shower gel I got at christmas...

I know this may sound a bit.. primitive... but i wash my hands and face with the same soap :eek:

- Drav!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

As with many of the other posters to me grroming products means shaving. I've 20+ saftey razors and an array of blades and a plethora of facial washes and scrubs, shaving creams and soaps, aftershave balms, skin foods and even a skin gel and a block of alum. All of these prodcuts are made by less known manufacturers some of who have been around for 200 years or more.

For example, todays I washed my face with Art Of Shaving Face Wash, then used Cyril R. Salter Sublime Citrus shaving cream along with my 1959 vintage Gillette Fatboy (with a Feather blade), followed by alum and some Trumpers Skin Food to finish :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I know several guys who use lush products, from the shaving creams to the solid shampoo bars some of their stuff is just wonderful. I've even known one or two to go in pressie shopping in there.
    There is nothing unmanly about looking after your skin.

Advertisement