Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Male grooming products

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

I had the works and a spa treatment yesterday.

Facial mudwrap and swedish massage.

If I was a rockstar I would have it eveyday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

I believe in taking care of myself, in a balanced diet, and a rigorous exercise routine. In the morning, if my face is a little puffy, I'll put on an ice pack while doing my stomach crunches. I can do a thousand now. After I remove the ice pack I use a deep pore cleanser lotion.

In the shower I use a water-activated gel cleanser... then a honey almond body scrub... and on the face, an exfoliating gel scrub.

Then I apply an herb mint facial masque which I leave on for ten minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine. I always use an after-shave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older.

Then moisturizer... then an anti-aging eye balm... followed by a final moisturizing "protective" lotion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

I've found this recent phenomenon really interesting ; the recent flood of male grooming products available on the market.

Nivea for Men is probably the most obvious example - I've seen it everywhere!

My question to you is, do you use any of these products, like a skin mosturiser or facial wash?

If not, why not? And if so, why? - who recommended the range to you, or did you discover it yourself?

Mrs.Applepie sometimes suggests (tells) me I should exfoliate. My usual response to this is to rub my beard against her head and tell her she wouldn't like me if I was all smooth.

This is how it has been since biblical times and I'm sticking with it.

Mrs.Applepie sometimes suggests (tells) me I should exfoliate.

Maybe its Mrs Applepie's polite way of telling you you have spots and blackheads or flaky skin.:D

I started using product to get my teenage son to take care of his skin and it worked on a "monkey see monkey do" basis.FFS I hated spots when I was a teenager and they were embarresing with girls. I'm divorced etc but the results were dramatic. His sister got into the act too.

Good skin is a right not a privelege.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭W123-80's

Only ever buy shower gel & shampoo that comes in one bottle.

Any type of Shaving Gel.

Mach 3. Original I think. Possibly Turbo.

Use the old fashioned non gender specific big blue tub of Nivea every morning on my face.

Any type of reasonably neutral deodorant. (Under no circumstances Lynx - Awful stuff)

Shot of Man perfume.

Shot of hair goo.

Thats me done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

You lost all credibility saying Lynx is awful when you admit to using a mach 3 in the same statement. Awful razors !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭W123-80's

Jip wrote: »
    You lost all credibility saying Lynx is awful when you admit to using a mach 3 in the same statement. Awful razors !

Jaysus, I find them grand. Never tug on my chin anyway, generally a painfree smooth shave which is all I look for!

If you have a suggestion for a better razor, pass it on, I'll give it a blast.

I suppose it depends on what you are shaving:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭scottie pippen

Don’t have a problem with all these fancy products - but they are such a gimmicky waste of money.

This how my list breaks down, usually keep it cheap

triple blade razors from lidl, you buy replaceable blades just like Gillette only way cheaper.

usually buy a Gillette shaving foam, usually buy this in a set with shower gell and aftershave balm, these last ages cause only shave my cheeks, trim my goatee with an electric razor.

Whatever basic perfume free non greasy moisture that’s going cheap in booths. Use this after a shower otherwise I'd be leaving flaky bits all over the place. This is a necessity not vanity.

Will usually use whatever shampoo my wife buys and leaves in the shower
    and will also use whatever leave in conditioner she buys, just so I don’t look like cousin in when I got to work

Don’t have a problem with all these fancy products - but they are such a gimmicky waste of money.

Will usually use whatever shampoo my wife buys and leaves in the shower
    and will also use whatever leave in conditioner she buys, just so I don’t look like cousin in when I got to work

MMMMMMM - roughly translates into I use the expensive stuff my wife buys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭scottie pippen

CDfm wrote: »
    MMMMMMM - roughly translates into I use the
    expensive stuff my wife buys

lol, no not really mate, just her hair stuff.

The razors I buy are cheap, and the sets generally work out a lot cheaper than buying shower gel, shaving foam individually

Use Tesco roll on too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

+1 for Dermalogica
    shapez wrote: »
    Just my from my experience. I have tried them all, Nivea, Clinique, Clarins, Gillette, Lynx, etc. As I have sensitive skin they all failed in some shape or form for me. I got the rashes, the redness, the stinging, etc. I had enough and couldn't take it anymore, so I consulted in a beauty therapist friend of mind who introduced me to Dremalogica.

For the past 7 years I have been using Dermalogica products. They are absolutely fantastic. I urge you to at least try a sample range, you will not be disappointed.

Check out this website for a list of products.
    http://www.care4yourskin.com/index.php?action=58&manufacturer=3

I know because there is so many you will be wondering what the hell to choose. I you need help, by all means send me a PM and I'll gladly do the best I can for you.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

Its our very own version of American Physcho! Well done sir!
    I believe in taking care of myself, in a balanced diet, and a rigorous exercise routine. In the morning, if my face is a little puffy, I'll put on an ice pack while doing my stomach crunches. I can do a thousand now. After I remove the ice pack I use a deep pore cleanser lotion.

In the shower I use a water-activated gel cleanser... then a honey almond body scrub... and on the face, an exfoliating gel scrub.

Then I apply an herb mint facial masque which I leave on for ten minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine. I always use an after-shave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older.

Then moisturizer... then an anti-aging eye balm... followed by a final moisturizing "protective" lotion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Unless you have a medical condition I don't think moisteriser is acceptable. I also think women are idiots for using it.

I thought nivea for men would flop but it really hasn't. Make up/fake tan next I suppose :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I thought nivea for men would flop but it really hasn't. Make up/fake tan next I suppose :rolleyes:

Already there with the makeup

From
    http://www.stephenthomas.ie/facials.html
    Male Makeup
    Over the years attitude towards male makeup has changed, men now require coverage of redness to revitalize their look and give their skin a uniform colour. A lot of men suffer with high redness on the face and neck and even on the ears. In male makeup camouflage type makeup is used lightly to give optimum result - Don't be scared, there will be no lipstick, mascara or blusher involved! The overall look is flawless and natural.

Male Makeup €60.00 Consultation Free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I don't see what's wrong with moisteriser. I don't use it often, but do when I feel my skin is drying out. Keeps it looking well.

Re; Makeup, a good few male (heterosexual, non-crossdressing, non goth, non emo, etc) friends of mine would use makeup. To be fair, they don't use much, and they pull it off.

Now there I draw the line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 kpas

CDfm wrote: »
    Now there I draw the line

ya fully agree..... I know its the 21st century but lets take a reality check here for sec........ unless your in the acting department or its a job requirement, make-up should stay strictly for the fairer sex.... Imagine playin a game a footy or rugby with the lads and one of um says a hang on lads I have to reapply or take off my make-up!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

eh no thanks lads.....:cool:

kpas wrote: »
    Imagine playin a game a footy or rugby with the lads and one of um says a hang on lads I have to reapply or take off my make-up!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Hah - I don't think they'd ever wear it going out for a kick around (Although the same can't be said for a lot of those 'players' in that premiership...) Just when they were heading on a night out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 kpas

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Hah - I don't think they'd ever wear it going out for a kick around (Although the same can't be said for a lot of those 'players' in that premiership...) Just when they were heading on a night out.

Okay Ya I get ya but where does it end then.... I wonder do they by any chance keep this stuff in there man bags?? Don't get me wrog here.. If somone is using it for example to hide a scar or whatever thats fair enough too.. but for pure vanity??

eh no...:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

any one use any of the male body shop stuff ?

kpas wrote: »
    Okay Ya I get ya but where does it end then.... I wonder do they by any chance keep this stuff in there man bags?? Don't get me wrog here.. If somone is using it for example to hide a scar or whatever thats fair enough too.. but for pure vanity??

eh no...:cool:

But hiding a scar with makeup is for vanity too - Or getting a piercing, or getting that nice new shirt that costs just over a hundred quid but looks fantastic, or styling hair with wax/gel etc...

I mean, I don't plan on wearing makeup, I don't think it would suit me in the slightest, but if other people want to, and can carry it off, then fair play to them!

And there ain't nothing wrong with a manbag! :pac:

I mean, I don't plan on wearing makeup, I don't think it would suit me in the slightest, but if other people want to, and can carry it off, then fair play to them!

Fajitas- where do you stand on the hand cream issue. Now I'm of the view that the ladies like it. Your a cosmopolitan well travelled kind if guy. How say you?

Christ no, what do you think I am? A homosexual!?

Christ no, what do you think I am? A homosexual!?
    And there ain't nothing wrong with a manbag!

:p:p:p suitabley coloured smilies

I've got a lovely manbag :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I went with a record bag as my man bag...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Facial scrub
    Aftershave balm
    Nivea under eye cream
    Moisturiser
    Bio oil
    Fibre and Clay for my hair.

I use them all.

Why would you post a pic of your manbag in a male grooming products thread if it didn't contain some.

Fess up Fajitas - whats in your manbag:D

• Advertisement

I'm traveling light at the moment

pic

You should see my bigger bag :pac:

Advertisement