Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3V not applicable to Hertz???

Options
  • 04-09-2009 11:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

Hi Guys,

Myself and my girlfriend are heading Italy in a couple of weeks. The place were staying is pretty remote so we needed to rent a car. Neither of us have a credit card but I have a 3v card so i topped it up with €200 euro as I thought that I could just pay the car rental upfront.

When the payment went through it only took half the money saying that the balance would be paid on collection. Then when I looked through the T&Cs it said you have to have a credit card to collect the car and pay for balance.

I've never rented a car before so bit clueless. Is there any way around this and if not how do I get my money back???

Help will be much appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

They will insist on a credit card, and won't give you the rental without one. Sometimes you can use a large cash deposit, but I'd get that arranged while you're still in Ireland (where English is a first language), that's if they'll let you do this. Cancel the booking now, and get the money refunded (if it's allowed), and ring Hertz, or another rental agency.

Very few rental agencies will let you take a car without a credit card though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Fyi. it doesnt have to be your credit card. you can still pay for the rental using your 3v card but you will have to give Hertz a visa/mastercard incase you trash the car and do a runner. So if you know someone well enough (and they trust you) you can borrow a credti card to give to Hertz and pay for everything yourself.

Ive done this before with work corporate cards, i.e. paid for rental in full but left them someone elses corporate visa in case.

I'm not saying I reccomend this though! if there are any bullsh1t charges for petrol/damage etc afterwards that take a while to sort out, I cant think of a quicker way to lose a friend:(

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The hire car company will need access to a line of credit in your name to cover themselves in case you damage the car etc. As a 3V card is pre-paid, it doesn't meet this criteria.

As someone suggested, see if you can arrange to use someelse's credit card - although that is a level of trust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

can you rant a car in your name and provide someone else's credit card?

I need to rent a van, and don't have cc myself. my lady on the other hand have one but doesn't have full drivers licence

do you think that would work? we are not married btw

If she's there with the card, to sign and approve it's use, then it should work. If you turn up with a card in some else's name, then that's likely to be refused.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

we'll give it a try then, thanks a lot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 lilywhites1982

Thanks guys, thats some sound advice! Will see if I can borrow someone's credit card as with chip and pin it should be ok to do

Thanks guys, thats some sound advice! Will see if I can borrow someone's credit card as with chip and pin it should be ok to do

More than likely, they'll ask for a signature on the pre-auth form. I've never seen chip and pin used on this. Whatever you do, get it all confirmed here before you travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

One thing to be aware of is that some car rental compaines need the credit card to be in the same name as the driver, even if the other person is there when renting the car.

I don't know if Hertz need that but I've run into this problem before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 lilywhites1982

matrim wrote: »
    One thing to be aware of is that some car rental compaines need the credit card to be in the same name as the driver, even if the other person is there when renting the car.

I don't know if Hertz need that but I've run into this problem before

Hi again! Just off the phone and was told by Hertz that the above applies. Need credit card to be name of person who is driving so asked for a refund. I'm now back to square one. Does anyone know of car hire who accept cash deposits?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Hi again! Just off the phone and was told by Hertz that the above applies. Need credit card to be name of person who is driving so asked for a refund. I'm now back to square one. Does anyone know of car hire who accept cash deposits?

All major international car hire companies require a credit card, it's basically a security deposit for damages or tickets/fines the car might pick up when you use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

http://www.payzonemoney.ie/

prepaid credit card - shouldn't take more than a few days to arrange it.

or from carhire3000.ie
    Question: Can I rent a car if I don't have a credit card?
    Answer:
    Most rental companies require a credit card in the lead driver's name for the security deposit. If you do not possess a credit card in your own name, please call our team on 1800 944 706 who can check with the suppliers in the location you are renting at to see whether any can accept a cash deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Can you get added as an aurthourised user on someone elses CC, the persons you where going to try? You'll get a CC in your name but won't have to pay the €20 fee. Then when the hols are over you can give the card back.

Advertisement