Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats Happened the Poker Forum?

Options
  • 04-09-2009 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Seriously have all the usual old posters gone somewhere else? I never see any of the old posters nanmes appear. This forum has really gone downhill so much lately, I know I don't post here blah blah but it doesn't change the fact its gone so bad .

Is this a reflection on the wider poker community and a measure of decline in the popularity of poker?

Discuss mon amis

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭YULETIRED

Pokers gone to hell since Chip Reece died

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Old names like?.........

• Registered Users Posts: 36,319 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This post has been deleted.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Some posters go through cycles of posting, others discover they have more important things to do than play poker or post here. Others among the old crew still lurk here but don't post.

I blame Big Dragon. Once he left it went downhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

I started reading the Forum in 2005 and in relation to all the posters back then, very few of them are still involved in poker and most of them have left the scene, but might still lurk around a odd time.

I don't think the forum as got worse, but just evolved. There is only so many times you can discuss the same topic.

But it would be interest to look at the posters back on 2005 and see how many still post or play the game. A lot of them realise they were going broke or not good enough to make money at the game. And some realise they had a problem so stop playing. Its just the nature of the thing, but traffic on this forum is a lot higher now then 2005.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Icarus152

Seriously have all the usual old posters gone somewhere else? I never see any of the old posters nanmes appear. This forum has really gone downhill so much lately, I know I don't post here blah blah but it doesn't change the fact its gone so bad .

Is this a reflection on the wider poker community and a measure of decline in the popularity of poker?

Discuss mon amis

What's in a nanmes?

Surely a rose by any other nanmes would smell just as sweet?

Voila!

5starpool wrote: »
    Some posters go through cycles of posting, others discover they have more important things to do than play poker or post here. Others among the old crew still lurk here but don't post.

I blame Big Dragon. Once he left it went downhill.

Soon to be a Daddy and a Married Man.... how life as change there....

Ollieboy wrote: »
    Soon to be a Daddy and a Married Man.... how life as change there....

Ya, wouldn't you think he'd get his priorities straight? pfft.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Germag

poker is gone to heaven not hell, only those with God on their side will call an all in with 2,3,off and there are an awful lot of those. See how many times pocket A's are cracked with trash. TV has ruined poker IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

OP, basically poker is now a 'solved equation' and merits little further discussion in itself. Poker essentially bores us now (as none of us ever lose any more) so we just spend our time here goofing around and shooting the breeze on random subjects.

• Advertisement

OP, basically poker is now a 'solved equation' and merits little further discussion in itself. Poker essentially bores us now (as none of us ever lose any more) so we just spend our time here goofing around and shooting the breeze on random subjects.

if nobody is losing, than that means were break-even less rake, which would explain my results in the last 18 months...lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭YULETIRED

X+22>Y+AK (AIPF) LOL DONKAMENTS

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

The topics of conversation back in the old days here (2004 / 2005) were fun to think back on though - what Player X was getting up to, how many of us were going to the Thursday night freeroll in the Fitz, was it ever correct to fold AA preflop. You wouldn't believe how much fun those Thursday night freerolls in the Fitz were and how awesome it felt to win a ticket to the EOM when you were just starting out. Back then the Monday night $110 tournie in the Fitz was viewed as a 'big game' by the vast majority of boardsies! Big Dragon, Culchie, Dub13, RoryC...the stalwarts of the Poker Forum!

Anyone remember the Fistful Of Shamrock?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭POKERKING

ionapaul wrote: »
    The topics of conversation back in the old days here (2004 / 2005) were fun to think back on though - what Player X was getting up to, how many of us were going to the Thursday night freeroll in the Fitz, was it ever correct to fold AA preflop. You wouldn't believe how much fun those Thursday night freerolls in the Fitz were and how awesome it felt to win a ticket to the EOM when you were just starting out. Back then the Monday night $110 tournie in the Fitz was viewed as a 'big game' by the vast majority of boardsies! Big Dragon, Culchie, Dub13, RoryC...the stalwarts of the Poker Forum!

haha great post!!

I agree with Op i think since the sub forums came in from my point of view i never know where to start theres too much so dont bother reading or posting(not that i did much anyway but was an avid lurker),

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

You'd miss Culchie around the place really... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭RoadSweeper

Bring back Fuzzbox imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 HibsAreIt

Dont worry leagle-eagle im here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Ste05 wrote: »
    You'd miss Culchie around the place really... :(

Hey, I was just eating my lunch and the alarm went off and lights starting flashing ..... must be my name got mentioned and decided to check out the poker forum.

Howya Lads :)

Well Mick.

Dirty lurker. I think you only post once every 18 months when there is a 'whatever happened to the poker forum' thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

Culchie wrote: »
    Hey, I was just eating my lunch and the alarm went off and lights starting flashing ..... must be my name got mentioned and decided to check out the poker forum.

Howya Lads :)

How ya culchie. Good to hear you're still alive.

I know I'm being nosey, but what ever happened to Vegas Baby Poker? Still going? Profitable or a loss maker? Feel free not to answer any of these :)

• Advertisement

Ok, NTL and Ehsan?

Where are they????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

careca wrote: »
    How ya culchie. Good to hear you're still alive.

I know I'm being nosey, but what ever happened to Vegas Baby Poker? Still going? Profitable or a loss maker? Feel free not to answer any of these :)

Sorry to be so boring, but I just joined mainstream society.

Have a (successful) signage and vehicle graphics business in Sligo now, opened in March 2007, employing 6 people (www.signsexpress.ie/sligo)

My poker is limited to a €25 once a week game in Kiltimagh, accompanied by a few pints of heineken. Although my house is nearly ready in Sligo so will frequent the Adelaide more often then.

Won a satelitte for Killarney so probably meet some of you losers down there:D

Regarding general thrust of this thread ... Poker .... you just grow out of it... not possible to dedicate yourself to a business or career and also dedicate yourself to poker.

Running a business in this climate is real gambling anyway;) ... no reloads, no second chances, no freerolls, so I get more than my fair share of kicks and adrenaline rushes out of that 24/7

Ok, NTL and Ehsan?

Where are they????

Around. NTLbell now makes his living by getting rises from people like me in the soccer forum, and ehsan posts in the BBV a bit, although less than he used to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

Lol, it really was a different time. A lot of people probably don't realise how magical the Fitz EOM game was in the early days. It was the first regular game in the country with the higher buy-in of €250, and I think there was a bit of uncertainty as to whether it would really catch on or not (but Luke was the driving force behind it so it was always destined to do well).

On the first night (June '03), there were 47 players, which was quite respectable, as the Fitz was also only establishing itself at the time (for example, there were often only two tables at what was to become the Friday scalps game). Also, all the 'name' Irish players at the time used to play- I had Alan Betson and Noel Furlong at my table the first night, and knocked out Noel Furlong in the first two EOM's I played. Also Collete Doherty, Liam Flood, Roy Brindley, Peter Roche, etc., used to always play in the early days. With the growth in contempt of poker 'names' these days, that might not sound like a big deal, but at the time the buzz was awesome! I remember finishing 12th in the first one I played, then 10th in the second, and thought I was doomed to never cash big in it, but then won my third one to win 6K (85 players by then), which was a massive poker pay-day for me at the time and still would be, tbh.

Also, the freerolls before hand were always great cráic at the time, followed by the single-table STTs, and then of course Luke's one-handed omaha games. By the time the main game started, the place was absolutely hopping! Boardsies I remember at the time include the afore-mentioned Big Dragon, RoryC, Ollyk1, 5starpool, cardshark202, Davey Devil, smurph, ocallagh, Daithio, kpnuts, Gholimoli, Rob Taylor, bohsman, marq and RT (those three either dealing or playing), and Devore himself. There's definitely a load more, but I can't remember them all. Suffice it to say that it was great time to be playing live poker, and the forum was all the better for it.

[*sighs* and ends trip down memory lane]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Remember the old controversies about the Merrion and Pokertroll (Mark McMahon, a really nice fella, haven't seen him in ages, think he's based in Washington DC now maybe?) turning up to defend the Merrion to the death!

Ha, I remember faking a doctor's appointment on one Thursday many many years ago to make it to the Fitz for 4pm for their freeroll before the EOM! Myself and RoryC used to have some amount of success in those freerolls, I can only remember paying into the EOM once the first half dozen times I played it. I also remember selling my ticket a number of times because €270 was just too big a game for me back then! RoryC must have won at least a dozen tickets in the freerolls over the course of 2005.

Remember the old controversies about the Merrion and Pokertroll (Mark McMahon, a really nice fella, haven't seen him in ages, think he's based in Washington DC now maybe?) turning up to defend the Merrion to the death!

Ha, I remember faking a doctor's appointment on one Thursday many many years ago to make it to the Fitz for 4pm for their freeroll before the EOM! Myself and RoryC used to have some amount of success in those freerolls, I can only remember paying into the EOM once the first half dozen times I played it. I also remember selling my ticket a number of times because €270 was just too big a game for me back then! RoryC must have won at least a dozen tickets in the freerolls over the course of 2005.

More Merrion messing

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=190226

I remember playing in a couple of those freerolls. The first one I played in had KP dealing for the table :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Pokerproposal

Discuss mon amis

TOO MANY SMART AR...S ON HERE NOW,

it very simple people dont
    want to listen to them anymore so don't post

but that's not set in stone

I remember you and Rory winning those tickets and you always trying to sell them as the 270 was a big buy-in and I kept given out to you for selling you luck.... funny when you look back.

Where is rory these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭IrishKestrel

5starpool wrote: »
    More Merrion messing

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=190226

I remember playing in a couple of those freerolls. The first one I played in had KP dealing for the table :)

Hilarious. Well worth a read for a trip down memory lane ......

Wasn't on Boards at the time, but I remember the Merrion - Fitz well. Played in both in 2006 & 2007. Aaaah, the memories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,399 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I remember you and Rory winning those tickets and you always trying to sell them as the 270 was a big buy-in and I kept given out to you for selling you luck.... funny when you look back.

Where is rory these days?

He's in Oz according to his post on the Cyprus/Ireland match thread in soccer.
    Bad beat Rory, never met him but played him in a lot of €15 STTs on Tribeca.
    What a moany little runt he was !

Advertisement