Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats Happened the Poker Forum?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Ha, in real life he was FAR less moany, not a patch on BBJ! Rory's a decent aul skin.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Whats poker again?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Seriously have all the usual old posters gone somewhere else? I never see any of the old posters nanmes appear. This forum has really gone downhill so much lately, I know I don't post here blah blah but it doesn't change the fact its gone so bad .

Is this a reflection on the wider poker community and a measure of decline in the popularity of poker?

Discuss mon amis

Maybe it's gone downhill because so many members just read and never post? Mr. 10 posts in 2 years ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

It's got sh!t since DBC was banned IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭mormank

Maybe it's gone downhill because so many members just read and never post? Mr. 10 posts in 2 years ...

and you must be mister 74?? nice to meet you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

All we need now is someone is to start singing old Irish lullabies to complete the oldies reunion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

cooker3 wrote: »
    All we need now is someone is to start singing old Irish lullabies to complete the oldies reunion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nfz9O_mSY1U

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

ionapaul wrote: »
    Back then the Monday night $110 tournie in the Fitz was viewed as a 'big game' by the vast majority of boardsies! Big Dragon, Culchie, Dub13, RoryC...the stalwarts of the Poker Forum!

Anyone remember the Fistful Of Shamrock?

I am still around,and still playing 3/4 times a week I just don't post as much not sure why I cant put my finger on it but the forum has changed.I have 4 kids now so play a lot online and only play live ever so often so maybe thats why I have feck all to say.

The Fistful Of Shamrock....lol those were the days,did we win a team event once out in the anglers rest..?

I remember hitting my first 100 euro game ticket and thinking I won the lotto,then when I played my first end of month game in the fitz I remember driving in thinking to myself 'these will all be pros'.The innocents of it all.
    Culchie wrote: »
    Won a satelitte for Killarney so probably meet some of you losers down there:D

Mick,I also won a ticket for Killarney it may be a old school reunion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

OP, basically poker is now a 'solved equation' and merits little further discussion in itself. Poker essentially bores us now (as none of us ever lose any more) so we just spend our time here goofing around and shooting the breeze on random subjects.
    Ste05 wrote: »
    You'd miss Culchie around the place really... :(

i remember when i used to think el stuntman was an imposter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭pokertroll

ionapaul wrote: »
    Remember the old controversies about the Merrion and Pokertroll (Mark McMahon, a really nice fella, haven't seen him in ages, think he's based in Washington DC now maybe?) turning up to defend the Merrion to the death!

;) Great memories indeed. I left Ireland over 3 years ago and just fell out of the habit of playing poker while I was away and have little interest in playing anymore even though I now live in Berlin which seems to have some possibilities. I think the scene did change a lot . Too many clubs in a small city, pub games, multi-tabling on the internet, pokertracker, ipods and students acting like Phil Helmuth and people taking it way too seriously. It just didnt feel the same as those great days in 2003-2005 in the Merrion and Fitz Wherelse would you find yourslef sitting at a table with a WSOP champion on one side, a snooker champion on the other, a taxi driver, a painter, a solicitor and a gangster - all having a laugh and treating each other with the utmost respect.

As for boards, I think people got bored discussing the same things. The equation was solved as the stuntman says..people have grown up, priorities have changed..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Gholimoli

Yeah im still here as well…
    I don’t post in strategy at all any more, don’t even read it TBH.
    There just is not a point in it for me any more. I found out about 3 years ago that I can’t make money from playing poker, so decided to stop kidding my self.
    Also back in the day the forum was much smaller, I remember every one use to know almost every one else when we meet up during a live game.
    I did participate in a lot of poker theory debates at the time, to the best of my knowledge but I have nothing more to offer really as I have not kept my self up to date and I have no interest in learning any more either so I just post in the BBV thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Gholimoli wrote: »
    Yeah im still here as well…
    I don’t post in strategy at all any more, don’t even read it TBH.
    There just is not a point in it for me any more. I found out about 3 years ago that I can’t make money from playing poker, so decided to stop kidding my self.
    Also back in the day the forum was much smaller, I remember every one use to know almost every one else when we meet up during a live game.
    I did participate in a lot of poker theory debates at the time, to the best of my knowledge but I have nothing more to offer really as I have not kept my self up to date and I have no interest in learning any more either so I just post in the BBV thread.

You never had any strategy;)

Hope you are keeping well mate.

Methinks a boardsie reunion tourney pre 2006 is justified;) ....the veterans!Would travel for the craic no bother....somewhere in the midlands would be great.
    Might even squeeze in a beer or two:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

Culchie wrote: »
    You never had any strategy;)

Hope you are keeping well mate.

Methinks a boardsie reunion tourney pre 2006 is justified;) ....the veterans!Would travel for the craic no bother....somewhere in the midlands would be great.
    Might even squeeze in a beer or two:pac:

maybe a oldies v's newbies, but with a low buy-in as all the oldies have gone broke from the game...lol So hows 5 euro sound?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Gholimoli

Story Mike,
    hope you keeping well man???
    yeah deffo up for a reunion ,perhaps we will get Mike Lacey to run a game for us in the Europa hey???:cool:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I'm pining for a BSOP heat round Tom's flat right about now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

mewso wrote: »

They were the real glory days of the Irish poker scene imo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Everyone sinking cans and stuffing their faces with takeaway, and a sober Hyzepher winning all the chips.

We didn't half manage to organise a load of sh1t back then. I don't know how.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

lafortezza wrote: »
    Everyone sinking cans and stuffing their faces with takeaway, and a sober Hyzepher winning all the chips.

Mr. Puddings was the best, always a great spread of food laid on!

going all-in with 3 to a flush draw...unfortunately my poker strategy never evolved from there and so I rapidly lost interest ;)

we should try and organise a reunion night at whatever passes for the "Bat Flat" these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

old skool! :p

I remember pawing at a new 'chipset' Hyzepher brought from Vegas thinking we we're running the most professional poker game ever seen! :)

well up for a reunion!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

We didn't half manage to organise a load of sh1t back then. I don't know how.

Muso - do you remember the session in your pad in Rathmines where we invested 3 card, banana reverso or something. Same time we got Laf to lay down AA when they were stuck to his head and only we could see them - lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Muso - do you remember the session in your pad in Rathmines where we invested 3 card, banana reverso or something. Same time we got Laf to lay down AA when they were stuck to his head and only we could see them - lol

That was a great night. THe look on Laf's face when he took down his two cards and saw the bullets. It had to be the best 'collective' bluff ever done :)

Also remember some kind of 3 card poker, where you had to pass one card on to the left. Course I got dealt a straight flush, but had to give one away. Sick. Maybe that was the banana reverso you speak of.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

careca wrote: »
    Also remember some kind of 3 card poker, where you had to pass one card on to the left. Course I got dealt a straight flush, but had to give one away. Sick. Maybe that was the banana reverso you speak of.

That was the one - some sick betting went on with that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭a-k-47

Old school after 4/5 years, crazy fast industry.

Advertisement