Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should Trap get a new contract?

• 04-09-2009 11:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭

I'd say this is a pretty contentious issue among Irish soccer fans, so i thought this poll would be a good idea.

PROS of Trap:
    Team is better organised.
    We are grinding out good results.
    We are in a good position to qualify for WC2010.
    We have a poor squad, yet are getting results.

CONS of Trap:
    Negative style of play?
    Ignoring players (Delap, Carsley, Andy Reid etc)
    that offer better options.
    Seems to be a pretty stubborn guy

Anyway, that's my take on it.

What do ye think?

Should Il Trap get a new contract (post WC 2010)? 105 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    32%
    Chucky the treeHashSlingingChardee MacDennismicksDave147godtabhDayshaMars BarVictor McDadeEuro_KrautKingdommercuromanDuffelgriffSea DevilsmenoscemoCHDdelspeed78Zonda999tomred1 34 votes
    We should wait to decide this until after WC 2010.
    10%
    IagoSnake PliskenapplehunterAnto McCXavi6colly10titan18DEVEREUXTheSpecialOneLiam OGymJim 11 votes
    I want Stan back, Atari Jaguar
    57%
    tiborPiEVokesDont be at yourselfstevoslicebyteLizardKingtinofapplesmatrimKingp35HeadshotHolstenBrando_ieMr. PresentableMr.Nice GuypwdmikemacbreadmonkeyNecronomiconevent 60 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Hes done well with a pretty rubbish group of players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

i think he has done great, im a massive supporter of him but would still wait until after the qualification stages so we can see where we are

giving managers long contracts drains a lot of money from the FAI coffers.
    whats the harm in waiting a few games more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

No
    I don't think there's another manager out there who the FAI could have afforded who could have done better with what is a pretty awful squad tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

If he get's that group of players to the World cup he deserves to be made president never mind a new contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

CONS of Trap:
    Negative style of play?
    Seems to be a pretty stubborn guy

I would have his age in there as a big factor.

If we fail to qualify for this World Cup I would ideally like all the dead wood to be ditched and us go into the Euro qualifiers with a young squad with a view to nurturing them in time for the World Cup in 2014.

I don't think Trap will be around 5 years from now as our manager so for that plan to be put into action we would need someone new.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

No

Negative style of play?

ouldnt care less as long as we win. I'd rather play negative and when than play positive and get a hammering. The way we play suits the players we have

I dont think these players would make much of a difference. One decent player in a team of average players doesnt make a team

I'd keep him on. Who else is there that you would want to see?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

greendom wrote: »
    I don't think there's another manager out there who the FAI could have afforded who could have done better with what is a pretty awful squad tbh
    Roy Hodgson wanted the job at the time.

As for Trap, it'll depend on how the rest of the group goes. He's an extremely experienced manager that knows how to get the best out of whatever resources are available to him. Sure he's negative in his approach, even the Italians thought he was negative when he was in charge, now that's saying a lot. But he knows what he wants from the squad and as a result the players know what's expected of them. And he gets results.

I'd certainly like to see him stay on.

kearnsr wrote: »
    ouldnt care less as long as we win. I'd rather play negative and when than play positive and get a hammering. The way we play suits the players we have

What if we finish bottom of the second place teams because we didnt go on and win games we could have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Let's wait and see how he does. As other posters observed, he has a poor box of tools to work with, but is getting good results considering.

He's 70. I imagine he'll retire after 2010.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Fuhrer wrote: »
    What if we finish bottom of the second place teams because we didnt go on and win games we could have?

I fear that's what will happen sadly.

If he gets us to the playoffs though i'd gladly throw a new one at him, but i'd wait until that's been decided. If he doesn't, well then it depends on who else might be available considering how other campagins have ended. But I don't see anything wrong with holding onto him either, he's still overachieved even taking those games into account.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Xavi6 wrote: »

I don't think Trap will be around 5 years from now as our manager so for that plan to be put into action we would need someone new.

This country wouldn't put up with any kind of "nurturing plan".

The fickle Irish football fans want results and they want them yesterday.

Also, if we don't qualify for the WC, thereby missing out on an awful lot of cash, who's gonna be the Sugar Daddy that's gonna be supplying Trap's high wages this time?

Denis O'Brien

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

Denis O'Brien

Stephen Ireland?

Denis O'Brien
    He was the last guy, but would he be willing to do it again in the current economic climate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I didn't take Trap's age into account.

Sure, he's got the life of a 20 yr old! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

kearnsr wrote: »
    ouldnt care less as long as we win.

How long is it now without a win :rolleyes: or even a convincing win

dogpile wrote: »
    How long is it now without a win :rolleyes: or even a convincing win
    The last 3 competitive matches were draws, but they were against our biggest rivals in the group, and 2 of them were away from home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

If i can weigh in objectively, i think he's a spoofer of the highet order and if Ireland get to the world cup, it'll be despite him and not because of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

No
    Anto McC wrote: »
    If i can weigh in objectively, i think he's a spoofer of the highet order and if Ireland get to the world cup, it'll be despite him and not because of.

Hi Eammo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

You can't deny what he's done with the players he has. See how he does in the next few games, and the WC if applicable. I'd offer another two year if he wanted it.

At his age, he may just want to pack it in though.

There's a big difference between being objective and being downright foolish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    Hi Eammo.

I think you mean "Hi Pat Dolan".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

No
    Why would we not try keep him. Who would replace him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Too early to call. Lets just wait and see if he can get us to WC.
    If not they will have to think about it seriously...the man will be 73 by Euro 2012.

He has done pretty well so far, but had a fair slice of luck to help us. Getting to play "away" game v Georgia at neutral venue, playing Italy for almost whole game with extra man, Cyprus missing a sitter that would have levelled that match in Dublin.

In saying that he has organised us very well. We are boring, but getting results.

So i'd prefer to wait and see what happens, and decide in November after the likely play off matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

No
    I don't think anyone could do much better than Trap has, I recall nearly having an accident when I heard he was the new boss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

CONS of Trap:
    Negative style of play?
    Ignoring players (Delap, ...

I hate to say it but bringing in the long throw expert would be the most negative move possible.
    Des wrote: »
    This country wouldn't put up with any kind of "nurturing plan".

The fickle Irish football fans want results and they want them yesterday.

Not having a go at you Des but i simply don't think that a 'nurturing plan' is any use with the small group of somewhat-talented players our nation has to pick from.

Nurturing is of use at an underage level but then the players all leave for foreign climes where they become the players they're going to be.

Obviously, playing together a lot would help the team and international experience is always a plus but I really think that you're going to have to select from across the spectrum when it comes to the international team simply because we have a very limited number of good players. Obviously, countries like Brazil and France can do this type of thing because their generations are good enough but our's aren't.

I mean currently you have people calling for Delap and Carsley who would have both been dead-wooded ages ago.

Essentially, you'll end up nurturing a young group of players, more than half of whom probably won't cut it at the top level you'll have to ditch them for 30-something year olds you dropped ages ago.

IMO the Irish managers job is to gather the best Irish players currently playing and get 11 of them on a pitch playing as well as possible. We don't have the luxury of nurturing generations.

As regards the OP, if we qualify, I don't see why we wouldn't give him a new contract.

Edited to include: I actually can't think of a time 'nurturing' a young team has worked at international level. Sure different countries have had 'golden' generations but I'd put that down to luck as opposed to team building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

No
    Give him the new contract now. Can't see anbody else out there who will do just as well or better with the players we have now IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

He has a contract wait and see how we go first, in fairness to him he has blooded players and we at least have a structure to the side something that was missing for a long time,and he is not frightened to make decisions he is picking players to suit his system not the other way around.My main gripe of him is that he should be watching more live football and not sitting in front of a tv with dvd's.

• Advertisement
Advertisement