Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rakeback Query from a Novice

Options
  • 04-09-2009 11:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭

I intially came across the concept of Rakeback in a couple of Bluff Magazine adverts, but I have to admit - I didn't look into it, and didn't try to understand it.

Now that I'm on Boards.ie, I see references to it in a number of Blogs linked to peoples signatures and I'm intrigued. People seem to be getting serious returns from Rakeback if they are doing decent volume.

I tried to add Rakeback to my Full Tilt account, but because I had already opened the a/c, I wasn't eligible for Rakeback. I also have a PS account, but I understand that this isn't eligible for Rakeback

I took a break from MTTs recently, and I'm doing about 1,000 hands per day (mostly $0.25/$0.50 for now as I get into it).

What are peoples' views on Rakeback? Am I seriously missing out here? And what is the attraction of Full Tilt Points programe v Pokerstars VIP program if you are not on FT Rakeback - seems to me that PS VIP has far superior benefits?

Is it worth signing up to UB Rakeback or another site (based on say 25,000 hands of NL 100 per month), or am I better off staying with PS (or even FT)?

Last question - how many hands of NL 100 per month would you have to play on PS to get to
    a) Platinum
    b) Supernova?

Thanks - and apologies in advance for the multitude of questions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭RoadSweeper

Yes, you definitely need RB. Its v important for low level player.

You can get RB at loads of sites other than FT.

I dont really know the differences between the FPP stores. I assume the stars on is better as it doesn't offer RB.

I think platinum will require 30k-50k 100nl hands.

Supernova will require 10x that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭jbravado

Yeah you basically have to have rakeback. Its literally burning money not getting a deal set up. In the unlikely event you bust you lootskis you may have few hundred coming in and it can boost your win if your doing well.
    Ianmc runs a good site that is basically idiot proof and you should be able to get something sorted quite easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭The Snapper

1k hands a day is decent volume, 50% RB deal will net you ~€1 k pm

check out link in Ianmc's sig.

I dont really know the differences between the FPP stores. I assume the stars on is better as it doesn't offer RB.

I think platinum will require 30k-50k 100nl hands.

Supernova will require 10x that.

Thats per month, right?

Anyone know what platinum is worth $ pa.

Yes, Im not sure though.

Platinum means SFA. You may qualify for different goods in the FPP store, and you earn FPPs at a higher rate. But I don't think there much financial gain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭The Tourist

Why are RB providers not encouraged to advertise rakeback (1) on this site (2) in general (I heard something about a RB provider being kicked off iPoker for being too aggressive with their advertising)? How do the poker sites view rakeback?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

Why are RB providers not encouraged to advertise rakeback (1) on this site
    Because we'd be inundated with Spam! We already delete loads every week. Hence the No RB offer/ advertising rule. But general discussions are allowed such as this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭BigCityBanker

How do the poker sites view rakeback?

as the scurge of the industry, along with affiliates :)

id love to have a 2,000 word rant now but il hold off - its too close to the weekend to blow a head gasket.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Lao Lao

Is that because PP can't offer RB under iPoker rules or is there another reason?
    id love to have a 2,000 word rant now but il hold off - its too close to the weekend to blow a head gasket.

I'd be genuinely interested in reading this rant, go on, let a bit of steam off before the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭k mac

Sorry real stupid novice here what is rakeback just started to play online recently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭BigCityBanker

Lao Lao wrote: »
    Is that because PP can't offer RB under iPoker rules or is there another reason?.

en not really, i am not saddended by not being able to offer rakeback - the rules are the rules and you got to stick by them

I'd be genuinely interested in reading this rant, go on, let a bit of steam off before the weekend.

this is a follow on to the above. Its very hard to recruit high value players based on your VIP scheme when there are rooms out there who recruit soley on the basis of rakeback.

Like things are so bad at the minute that the poker room manager of a large skin has his work email address flying around in PM's on 2+2 offering people rakeback. Its very hard to accept it getting thrown in your face like that.

If you have been following the news on 2+2 lately you will see that some rooms jettisoned some big winning players so as to reduce the win ratio for their room - like Peter Jetten (Apathy) reported on 2+2 that his account was closed. (the overall win ratio of a card room forms part of the network policy).

basically what happens is that a legitimate skin (say PPP) spends its hard earned recruiting players to the network, then parasitic skins (say NoIQ and others who i refuse to mention) step in and with close to zero marketing spend hoover up the high value players by using rakeback as a recruitment tool. This ecology does not lend itself to a stable long term business model.

I expect some large scale and surprising changes to the iPoker network in the next 6 months - I am not basing this on any inside information btw - I am basing this soley on my understanding of the current network ecology - iPoker in its current format can not exist long term and it is a failing of the management of the network that they have let it descend to its current state.

Im stopping now cos I am close to entering into a rant and once I get there im gone past boiling point and the weekend is too close for that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Samoa Joe

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭IrishKestrel

1k hands a day is decent volume, 50% RB deal will net you ~€1 k pm

check out link in Ianmc's sig.

Wow - really interesting feedback and very much appreciated.

Who is Ianmc and how do I find his signature?

Thanks.

k mac wrote: »
    Sorry real stupid novice here what is rakeback just started to play online recently

I've been playing on and off for 5 years, and I didn't know (hence the questions).

Rakeback appears to be a system where (by affiliating via a rakeback website) you get a percentage of the rake you pay while playing back into your account.

According to one websites calculator, I would be paying circa €1,600 in rake on Full Tilt this month if I play 30,000 hands (have played over 3,000 hands in the first 3 days of this month). The website I looked at offered a 27% rakeback (basically a hand-out of €432 back to me on Oct 15th). Seemed a bit too good to be true when I saw it first - but from what I'm picking up here, this is something I am seriously missing out on.

I can't sign up for Rakeback with Full Tilt now because my account is already active. Bummer!!!!

he posted in this thread

you can follow the link in his sig or send him a pm ( clicking on his username will drop down the private message option )

good luck with it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭NewApproach

I've been playing on and off for 5 years, and I didn't know (hence the questions).

Rakeback appears to be a system where (by affiliating via a rakeback website) you get a percentage of the rake you pay while playing back into your account.

According to one websites calculator, I would be paying circa €1,600 in rake on Full Tilt this month if I play 30,000 hands (have played over 3,000 hands in the first 3 days of this month). The website I looked at offered a 27% rakeback (basically a hand-out of €432 back to me on Oct 15th). Seemed a bit too good to be true when I saw it first - but from what I'm picking up here, this is something I am seriously missing out on.

I can't sign up for Rakeback with Full Tilt now because my account is already active. Bummer!!!!

email Full Tilt, they may put you on rb. Especially if it means you go elsewhere otherwise.

he posted in this thread

you can follow the link in his sig or send him a pm ( clicking on his username will drop down the private message option )

good luck with it:)

Thanks - found the site (now bookmarked)

Will also try to contact FT and see if they will add me on Rakeback Program

Is that because PP can't offer RB under iPoker rules or is there another reason?

This confuses me. Why can't PP offer RB when there was a thread on here not two weeks ago discussing iPoker RB?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Thats per month, right?

Anyone know what platinum is worth $ pa.

It depends. FPPs are worth ~1.6c each. 1 VPP at platinum gets you 2.5 FPPs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

This confuses me. Why can't PP offer RB when there was a thread on here not two weeks ago discussing iPoker RB?

Because its not allowed on the network. Any skin offering it is in contravention of the ipoker rules, but as BCB said plenty just do it anyway because they figure making a smaller % of a high volume players rake with no advertising costs where word of mouth spreads their offer is the way to go.
    I read a very good article detailing how rakeback percentages affect the flow of the games on a network a while back but I've no idea where.

• Advertisement

email Full Tilt, they may put you on rb. Especially if it means you go elsewhere otherwise.
    zuutroy wrote: »
    Because its not allowed on the network. Any skin offering it is in contravention of the ipoker rules, but as BCB said plenty just do it anyway...

From the above, I guess RB is allowed on Full Tilt?

And a few other sites?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Yeah 27% on FT is standard. I'm not sure really how many sites allow what they actually call 'rakeback'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭tipp86

Im pretty sure i wont get an answer to this. Is there a list of the highest earning i poker skins?

Can the sites not get around RB legally by allowing affiliate 60% commision lets say. He then offers whatever % to player and then transfers to players account.

Is it against i poker to allow commison to affiliate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

I agree with you, but this is a problem that Playtech have made themselves.

With regards the recruitment of high value players, that is of course true. Who'll want to play on PPP or XXX Ipoker skin for a bonus and 35% cashback equivalent when they can get 50%+ on a different site.

The one thing to say is that Playtechs system is a smart one. Even the biggest skins on the network get found out by the Playtech ratios (albeit eventually) as there's no way to hide the fact that all the high value players are playing on whatever site. However, it's just like a big circle. One site recruits rakeback players of high value, does great for a few months, then breaks the ratios and has to dump all the players after they get fined or get threatened with a fine. Then new site pops up and all players flock there.

One such skin that was recently affected is Propaganda Poker who closed the accounts of all their HSNL players as well as a lot of their MSNL winners. Another site had to close large numbers of accounts recently to stay within the limits and yet another site is currently in the process of migrating into another site in order to hide their ratios in the numbers of a bigger site.

Playtech are very aware of what's going on right now and are becoming more proactive in dealing with it. I cant go into too much detail here. They're also getting increasingly active in various forums and other places in order to try and stamp this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Tony_Montana

Im on a deal where i got 100% RB for the 1st month and then 55% from there after

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Im on a deal where i got 100% RB for the 1st month and then 55% from there after

Sweet deal but if I were you i'd be withdrawing my bankroll every night Tony,just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

WoW, Are you serious ? How have you kept such an offer secret ? I think this is the first time I have ever seen you post this!

Opr

opr wrote: »
    WoW, Are you serious ? How have you kept such an offer secret ? I think this is the first time I have ever seen you post this!

Opr

Lol

Maybe you should post that one over on the PAL forums! Im sure the members there would love to hear that one of the sponsored brands on the site thinks they are the scourge of the gambling industry :mad:

The fact of the matter is that affiliates can and do bring business to sites big and small in a variety of industries, not just gambling. There are literally tens of thousands of people now involved in full time internet marketing whether it be in the healthcare, plastic surgery, gambling, sports or whatever other niche. Affiliates bring a selling power and brand awareness for sites that would not be able to sustain the same amount of business otherwise. Even the likes of Full Tilt Poker and Pokerstars benefit directly form affiliate relationships as they have 0 guarantee that a player is going play on their site. Obviously as networks and individual skins get smaller, the value of the affiliate role goes up as those skins will have much smaller marketing budgets and will be more constrained in their ability to grow and promote their brand through other marketing channels, so they rely on affiliates to bring them business.

• Advertisement

Sweet deal but if I were you i'd be studying the dreams vs reality chart again.

FYP

Advertisement