Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

vista problem

• 04-09-2009 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi!
    I tried to login to my computer the other evening and it would'nt accept my password. I discovered that i can login if i use caps instead of lowercase (password was always in lowercase before!). When it goes to the desktop i click on an icon and it selects 5 or 6 in a block and if i try to open one it opens the 5 or 6 together. I right clicked on C: and set up a checkdisk for when it restarts but when i restart it i get a message on screen to say the chkdsk was cancelled and it reboots to windows. I tried to run a reppair install but it just reboots after the windows is loading files screen.
    HELP!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

sylver72 wrote: »
    Hi!
    I tried to login to my computer the other evening and it would'nt accept my password. I discovered that i can login if i use caps instead of lowercase (password was always in lowercase before!). When it goes to the desktop i click on an icon and it selects 5 or 6 in a block and if i try to open one it opens the 5 or 6 together. I right clicked on C: and set up a checkdisk for when it restarts but when i restart it i get a message on screen to say the chkdsk was cancelled and it reboots to windows. I tried to run a reppair install but it just reboots after the windows is loading files screen.
    HELP!!
    This may sound unorthadox but bang down on your SHIFT keys a few times, sometimes they can get jammed or locked in place (makes sense because holding the SHIFT key while typing capitises text and selects multiple files too) and reverts it to normal when CAPS LOCK is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭sylver72

Thanks cpu-dude,
    I'll try that when i get back to the p.c.
    Just an update. Im using vista ultimate with SP2 installed and all updates done. norton internet security shows no infections when i run a full system scan. i disconnected all non essential hardware e.g the second cd-rom and all other HDD's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Trust me, it's nothing to do with infections... all symtoms are the sign of the SHIFT key being on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

+1

Also, Scroll-lock can cause mulitple icons to be selected.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭sylver72

Thanks guys,
    tried the shift key thing but no luck!.
    I swapped my keyboard with a new one and im back working now!
    Looks like it was the keyboard after all. its in the bin now. Damn lousy cheap keyboard!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement